Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone think of a better, more STYLISH everyday performance car than the 147/156 GTA for the price (£5k-£8k)?

I'm struggling to think of a better or even an equal marque for the money!

Is there one?

Or am I just biased towards Alfa?

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo?

A lot Cheaper than a GTA as well..

Also you could get a TVR Chimaera for 8k although it will probably need some work.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'd rather keep my GTA but these are probably as good for non Alfisti types - Impreza STi, E36 M3, Seat Leon Cupra R, Golf GTi etc. etc.

And if your feeling brave/daft then TVR Chimaera's are avaliable at less than £8k

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Also you could get a TVR Chimaera for 8k although it will probably need some work.
ooops beat me to it:thumbs:

H

·
0 Posts
Can anyone think of a better performance car than the 147/156 GTA for the price (£5k-£8k)?

I'm struggling to think of a better or even an equal marque for the money!

Is there one?
5-8k will buy you a lot of performance.

My dads Porker 944 turbo (the 3 litre) cost him 5k.

A Nissan 300ZX can be picked up for peanuts.

There are loads of examples of performance cars out there for that price range.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd rather keep my GTA but these are probably as good for non Alfisti types - Impreza STi, E36 M3, Seat Leon Cupra R, Golf GTi etc. etc.
Maybe I should haver added STYLISH performance car!

I wouldn't want any of the afore mentioned on my drive!

And remember my price range and I said better than the GTA!

Would you get a decent version of the above for under £8K like you can with a GTA, probably not?

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
I am sticking with my Fiat coupe suggestion.

You could get a top notch Plus for 5k, spend £1000-£1500 modifying it and it will blow a GTA away easily.

As standard the performance is pretty much the same as a GTA, £1500 on tuning would get you over 300bhp

The styling is also pretty good if a bit Marmite.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
For the same price and year of car not much will compare to a GTA but if just comparing price then there is quite a lot which will out perform a GTA. M3, TVR, Scooby etc.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sticking with my Fiat coupe suggestion.

You could get a top notch Plus for 5k, spend £1000-£1500 modifying it and it will blow a GTA away easily.

As standard the performance is pretty much the same as a GTA, £1500 on tuning would get you over 300bhp

The styling is also pretty good if a bit Marmite.

But as an everyday driver? 20000 miles a year? Would it cope?

·
Administrator
46,867 Posts
I reckon it would. Mine never missed a beat. But I have to say, having owned both, the GTA is in a different class. Just in terms of feel, and how it makes you feel. It's more special.
And that's despite disagreeing with Symon about the looks - I think the Coupes looks are excellent.

The Coupe is an unbelievable bargain though - and, like the GTA, provides a combination of class, style and performance which nothing else in it's price range can match.
I see lots of alternatives posted on this thread, but they're all based on performance. Nothing touches them on overall package.
And when you go up another wedge, the Maser's probably got that price range cornered on the same criteria.

Incidentally, what's so mad about the Chimaera at £8k? Completely unfeasible as a GTA competitor - but the moment I'm in a situation where I can garage it, I'm having one.

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
But as an everyday driver? 20000 miles a year? Would it cope?
Mine was tuned to 250bhp and I used it everyday for 18 months and 17,000 miles and it was perfectly reliable.

I would say the reliability is pretty similar to an Alfa. Good as long as the car is looked after correctly.

Bazza I do think the Coupe looks great. I am aware that some other don't though. :)

The Alfa V6 is a better sounding engine though.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I reckon it would. Mine never missed a beat. But I have to say, having owned both, the GTA is in a different class. Just in terms of feel, and how it makes you feel. It's more special.
And that's despite disagreeing with Symon about the looks - I think the Coupes looks are excellent.

The Coupe is an unbelievable bargain though - and, like the GTA, provides a combination of class, style and performance which nothing else in it's price range can match.
I see lots of alternatives posted on this thread, but they're all based on performance. Nothing touches them on overall package.
And when you go up another wedge, the Maser's probably got that price range cornered on the same criteria.

Incidentally, what's so mad about the Chimaera at £8k? Completely unfeasible as a GTA competitor - but the moment I'm in a situation where I can garage it, I'm having one.
If you sold me your GTA then you'd have room for a Chimaera!

H

·
0 Posts
I replied when the original post only mentioned performance ;)

And thinking about it, style and how a car makes one feel is pretty subjective. To some, a Morris Minor might be stylish (although I don't think they're allowed to log onto car forums from the asylum)

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
I replied when the original post only mentioned performance ;)

And thinking about it, style and how a car makes one feel is pretty subjective. To some, a Morris Minor might be stylish (although I don't think they're allowed to log onto car forums from the asylum)
You should have bought my Brothers Morris Minor when I advertised it on here. :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
You'll get one when you are right! (In this instance, you're NOT.)

944 Turbo= 2.5 L 8V
944 S2 = 30 L 16V

I've had both, the S2 is the better car in my opinion, less power but a far more driveable engine, linear power all the way to the red. The Turbo, initially 220Bhp, later 250Bhp (increased to distance it from the newly released S2) was a laggy bugger with huge surge on boost.

Get back to me when you've found a 3.0L 944 Turbo (don't exist)

http://www.dennigcars.com/Pages/944_models_en.htm

1 - 20 of 111 Posts