Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the naked girls comment was to get you boys to read this !!!!

Its time to spend some money.
With Q2 fitted I really need to look at upgrading/replacing the Shocks and Springs.

So what is the best system to fit onto my V6 for Everyday Road Use ?

Looking at some previous postings on the site I see a lot go for the "Eibach Springs and Koni Shocks " combination but even taking that at face value there are different Koni's around.
Kono FSD's and also Koni Yellow Sports and also Koni Red Specials.

Now trying to get to grips with this I see that the FSD's are not really workable with Eibach Springs as they go "out of their comfort zone" . True ?

Equally are FSD's not adjustable where as Koni Sports are ?
I see people recommend the Koni Sports to be set to the Soft setting.
Is this the smart move ?

I also have seen the use of the term KYB's. What are they like ?

Would anyone recommend putting on Eibach Springs with a fresh set of Standard shocks ?

I want to sit in the car and not feel every bump, have the car lowered slightly and yet give the best handling performance so thats the brief to fix

On the Eibach side there is the Pro kit springs but I also see Eibach Progressive rate Springs.
How are they in comparision ?

Is it worth considering a springs/shocks designed combination package ?

I see that Eibach have launched the B12 Pro kit.
A suspension kit designed to work perfectly together featuring the Eibach Pro kit Springs and the Bilstein B8 Shocks.

What is the views of this. Anyone have this fitted ?

Anyone got their GTV (especially a 3 litre V6) fixed with any of the above to offer the
best advice.

I appreciate their are other factors to handling and that includes wheel weight and
alignment but you have to start somewhere so any help and guidance is most welcome.

As you can see I know a lot but actually know damn all so any advice is most appreciated

Alan

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
I've got some KYB gas-adjust on the rear of the twinnie and I'm happy enough with those. Note that they are not adjustable - slightly misleading name imo.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have Koni Yellow sports front and back. The springs that came in the kit on front and KYB flex on rear (the Koni supplied rear springs were an incorrect fitment - too low)
Konis are adjustable. On soft setting. Good ride and roadholding compared to before but then my whole suspesnion was old and past it before so no comparison.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I bought my 2001 GTV in Germany last summer and it had H&R springs fitted with standard shocks. The shocks were gone (generally a bad ide to have the rather bad standard shocks with stiffer springs that requires damping control). Hence got Bilstein shocks fitted.
Absolutely fabulous on perfect roads, but the tiniest gat between concrete or asphalt, not mentioning potholes made the car nervous. Additionally compressive bumps made the car a bit bouncy.
Anyhow after a hitting a small pothole (that would not be noticeable with standard suspension) the steering column got damaged I replaced the springs with Eiback Pro springs. A lot more comfortable on small uneven surface but on compressive bumps the car feels like it is somewhat to soft and crashes the suspension. Additionally it is still very hard on hitting sharp edges while at the same time missing the final feedback through steering wheel. The latter somewhat might be due to the progressive nature of the springs?

Anyhow I'm not happy with the springs (had 166 2.0 TS with Eibach which I tried with both yellow Koni and Bilstein and the latter was preferable).
Personally I'm a bit tempted to go for standard springs while keeping the Bilstein dampers and will try this combination in a few weeks time on a 3.2 GTV. Alternative is Intrax coilovers with adjustable dampers but these are slightly more expensive.... Had INTRAX as part of the RSR kit supplied to 116 series GTV6 and it was fabulous.

Regards Øyvind I

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
i have eibach 20mm lowered springs all round and KYB gas STD dampers on the back and factory originals on the front

its as low as i would want to go as 2 up some speed bumps the exhaust catches ever so slightly, In tems or ride handling well i went the whole hog and did two front lower wishbones and the entire rear end pollybushed so cant coment on shocks and springs alone but i can say its exactly what i was after not bone jaring just sporty firm and handling feels more confidence inspiring the faster the going gets

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
They ride and handle well on brand new original units. The KYBs are good too. If you want a more sporty ride, there is only one choice for me, Eibach Pro springs and Koni adjustables. Shame the FSDs aren't available for the GTV though.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I'd personally fit Eibachs to Bilstein B6 all round, I fitted this combo to my mates P2 spider on 18s and the ride is good, not crashy at all even with the wheels, but feels really flat and composed.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
. Shame the FSDs aren't available for the GTV though.
+1 , I ended up with Koni Adjustable + stock springs :thumbs: too old and stupid to worry about the "look", much more concerned about the handling. This set up has done 2 big Euro runs and personally is the best compromise of comfort / handling for every day use.
It really depends what you want from the car ... a track slag or a Grande Tourismo Veloce.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Track slag :D but then I'd not use the Bilsteins with Eibachs, I'd then fit (at a huge cost) Penske shocks as they have a setup for the 145, with a revalve of the front dampers and eye to eye rears these can be adapted to the GTV easily. But how far do you go though :eek:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I have Koni Sport Adjustables on Eibach Sport Pro. VERY!!! bouncy on undulating roads on the softest setting. I'm going to have to check the firmer settings out.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Hi, I've a 2001 V6 GTV with the Q2 fitted and the fancy extra's as well. I've recently fitted new shocks and springs because the car sat leaning towards the drivers side and leaning backwards. While driving the car it used to smack into speed bumps rather than go over them and pot holes used to throw the car around all over the place ( west yorkshire roads are crap !!! ) so after reading all the threads that i'm sure you've gone through and speaking to my mechanic and deciding what i want from the car - to drive well on normal roads in everyday conditions went for - shock horror - new standard stocks and springs !!! had the car 4 wheel aligned as well and it is totally transformed !! glides over speed humps, stays true over pot holes and does'nt kill your back while driving it.

Just my findings. Well happy.
Simon

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'd like to complain ..I've just read through all this .. spring shock stuff.. and no naked girls.. I'll read it again just to make sure..

Speaking of 'shocks' at my age it would probably kill me..

·
Registered
684 Posts
The problem of course with the GTV is that it would be rather a waste of a willing naked girlie. Let's face it, getting in and out of the GTV is tricky enough, never mind getting in and out of a naked girl in a GTV... :eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
The problem of course with the GTV is that it would be rather a waste of a willing naked girlie. Let's face it, getting in and out of the GTV is tricky enough, never mind getting in and out of a naked girl in a GTV... :eek:
if its possible in a mk1 toyota mr2 the gtv should be a breeze :cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Whole generations of Italians were born, married and and transported their grandkids in the original 500, were is your spirit of adventure ? :lol:

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
For the GTV V6 I would use new original springs and Koni Sports adjustables. Koni themselves suggest that you keep the rears on the softest setting and the fronts one half turn stiffer. Normally you'd think with FWD the reverse would be true, but it seems to work on the GTV, especially if the rear has been powerflexed.

If you go for the Eibach prokit springs (20mm lower than standard) replace the bumpstop assemblies in the rear springpans (cones etc) with the TS version. This is because the V6 is more prone to bottoming with the Eibachs, and the TS bumpstop cone version is much stronger than the V6 one.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Anyone tried the FK Coilover kit? It seems reasonable at £399, Was thinking of buying a kit for a try out and see how the car handled, I'm sticking with 18's on mine, I prefer the firm go-kart handling :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts