Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched it all the way through, top class film. I didnt relise it was based on a true story tho :(

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A great film, even if it was not quite accurate about the facts. Stalag Luft 3 was a huge camp, holding nearly eleven thousand prisoners. No Americans took part in the "Great Escape", because they were separated from the rest of the prisoners. Only three escaped - two Norwegians and a Dutchman, and Hitler did have fifty escapees executed. He was going to have them all executed, plus the architect who designed the camp, and all of the guards and the commandant, but he changed his mind.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It is a great film (one of those ones that I usually waych at Christmas when its on) and remarkably true to life. There are a few bits like the Bike chase which didnt happen and as Andy pointed out having an American in the camp (but if you didnt bend that it would not have had McQueen in it) But all the other details seem to be true, they had a couple of advisors on the movie who were actually there so I guess that helped significantly.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a great film (one of those ones that I usually waych at Christmas when its on) and remarkably true to life. There are a few bits like the Bike chase which didnt happen and as Andy pointed out having an American in the camp (but if you didnt bend that it would not have had McQueen in it) But all the other details seem to be true, they had a couple of advisors on the movie who were actually there so I guess that helped significantly.
There were Americans in the camp (quite a few) but as pouinted out above, they were moved to another camp nearby before the escape was made. Lots of Americans worked on the 3 tunnels.

And there was no motorbike jump :lol: McQueen apparently insisted that was written in, because he was a bike nut, and as the films biggest star, could get away with asking for stuff like that :thumbs:

Paul Brickhill wrote a great book about the Great Escape, recommended thoroughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts