Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 782 Posts

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Huge Post, bear with it!!

Ok, the 'ole brain has been ticking away thinking of a little diversion for the upcoming year. ;)

Ideally something that will involve skills and derring do, that will appeal to the Macho AO-ers, the green fingered crowd, and of course our cordon-kitchen dwellers. :(

So, how about a Chilli challenge? :D

We had reasonable success growing a few of the little chillies you get out of a Wilko packet and it was rather fun. As a bonus the produce was very nice and you get a warm glow (ho ho!) when you pick and chop your own chilli to go in your veg or suchlike.

Now a quick look on the interwebz shows me there is more to chillies than Jalapeno and a staggering variety both in terms of growing ability and, of course, Scoville units.

So, first some basics.

Judging

I don't set the rules or the judging criteria - suggestions in this thread as to how that is done, e.g. biggest bush, hottest pepper, biggest fruit, tallest plant etc. If you want to get creative later in the year at a meet you can do a chilli cook -off, just don't overdo it with the Bhut Jolokia;

Entering

We can do this in two ways - anyone who wants to just get hold of their own chillies then fair enough, just a post in the thread to say when they are planted, what variety you have and that you are "in" the competition.

Plenty of places to get seed, from your local shop to the interwebz.

A second alternative is to get a small-ish group together to buy and share a selection of different varieties. There are a couple of "selection packs" that I have seen Here and Here the second example will get a pack of 200 seeds from 10 different plants.
I kind of like this idea as you get a variety of plants to try rather than taking up all of your available growing space with 20 of the same variety of chilli.

I am happy, if there is sufficient interest, to order and split a 10 variety pack, which would work out at about £2 - £3 a head depending on postage onwards (I would split and post each persons order of 2 seeds of 10 different varieties) or if everyone is keen we can add a couple of other different varieties to the mix.

Better yet if someone else wants to do ordering/source seeds etc etc, I am happy for them to have a go, just step forward.

So, for now, just to gauge interest, give us a post if you;

1) Want to enter and will source and grow your own
2) Want to share in a chilli pack
3) Want to volunteer to sort orders
4) Have ideas about competitions/judging
5) Want to tell me to bog off and get a life :p

I am gonna keep this as UK only, those in Abu Dhabi have something of an advantage climate-wise, but we will include Scotland/Ireland, despite their climatic disadvantage ;)

Well?

Who is in

m0bzy
bacon
divadiva
Joe1968
The_Abyss
jillyflower
Joss
rmaxeman
Marko Le Rosso
SteveIsFrowning
ADF

In - Own seeds

(Mrs) HM
Mr Shusky
Stuartieboy
ellprice

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Does one I've grown earlier count :confused:

Had around 60 chillies of it so far, did a drastic short back and sides pruning job
in Dec and she's starting to flower again :thumbs:

Not green fingered at all but I've still got a yucca that's over 30 years old,
bludy thing with outlive me I reckon :eek:

J

·
0 Posts
Does one I've grown earlier count :confused:

Had around 60 chillies of it so far, did a drastic short back and sides pruning job
in Dec and she's starting to flower again :thumbs:

Not green fingered at all but I've still got a yucca that's over 30 years old,
bludy thing with outlive me I reckon :eek:

No ... get growing .... :D :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Count me in,managed to grow some on the allotment last summer including Scotch Bonnets.Plants are still green,if this weather keeps up they could be good for another crop.:thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
Count me in,managed to grow some on the allotment last summer including Scotch Bonnets.Plants are still green,if this weather keeps up they could be good for another crop.:thumbs:

Scotch Bonnets ..... :eek:

Jeepers ..... :lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Chilli vodka.

Hot chocolate with rum and chilli?

I know it seems like ages away but the August Bank holiday is when the chilli festival is on round these parts.

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll do an order at the weekend. Just need to know by then some rough numbers. I reckon £3 will get you 10+ seeds of 4 differing varieties assuming 20 want to have a go. Just give me a 'Yes' if you are happy to spend that and I'll IM you a confirmation and get an address.

1 - 20 of 782 Posts