1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
:cool: Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jeremy liked it a lot, the other two were dicks. Great filming, enjoyed it. I won't spoil any more in case you haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Track time in the wet was disappointing, it crushes the M2 and M4. Also very odd the NR was spoken about shortly thereafter without referencing the 4 door record time.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Watched the Giulia QF review just now - altough the piece is funny and entertaining it could be longer. But what annoyed me the most was fact-checking. Giuila QF's engine and California T engine do not have "hot V" configuration with turbos in-between the cylinder heads, but have more standard approach with exhaust manifolds and turbos being on the outside of the engine. "Hot V" configuration is more common in german cars (Audi S4 and up-coming RS4), MB C 63 AMG, BMW M5 F10, new Porsche Panamera (V6 and V8 are a joint work between Audi and Porsche, so new Panamera shares its V6 engines with the new Audi A4 B9, and this V6 is just a V8 with 2 cyliders taken away).

Also Giulia QF does not have twin-scroll turbos, but 2 normal turbos. V6 engines usually only come with twin-scroll turbos when they have only one turbo, which feeds all 6 cylinders, in twin turbo configurations however, each turbo is smaller as it feeds only 3 cylinders and is to small for twin-scroll confguartion to make sense.

And lastly, is it really that hard with such a big budget to do a track lap on a dry day? Everybody was waiting to se how it compares to other cars, and now this damn stupid wet lap... just like last week with Honda NSX. Argh...

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
And lastly, is it really that hard with such a big budget to do a track lap on a dry day? Everybody was waiting to se how it compares to other cars, and now this damn stupid wet lap... just like last week with Honda NSX. Argh...
Yes, given the budget, could they not have used a track in Dubai or Arizona or California... somewhere where the weather is pretty much always the same.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fantastic review by Clarkson...and funny too

I always said the front end design sucks( a bit better seen in person) and Clarkson agrees lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Track time in the wet was disappointing, it crushes the M2 and M4. Also very odd the NR was spoken about shortly thereafter without referencing the 4 door record time.
Seems like BMW (and the rest) just got very lucky that the QV had to perform in the wet! The cynic in me leans towards some more dubious goings on, whereby the rain avoided an almighty shake up in the order of things if (when) the QV whipped the backsides of its German rivals! (The lobby power/influence of BMW/M-B etc. strong as it is probably isn't up to "making it rain on demand", but its very convenient, nevertheless!):biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Seems like BMW (and the rest) just got very lucky that the QV had to perform in the wet! The cynic in me leans towards some more dubious goings on, whereby the rain avoided an almighty shake up in the order of things if (when) the QV whipped the backsides of its German rivals! (The lobby power/influence of BMW/M-B etc. strong as it is probably isn't up to "making it rain on demand", but its very convenient, nevertheless!):biglaugh::biglaugh:
I'm not normally one for a conspiracy theory, but as someone else said, why didn't they mention the Nurburgring record? It was only slower than the M2 by 1.1 secs and there was lots of standing water, the fact that it was that close shows it would kick its arse in the dry. Jeremy was easily argued down by the two muppets when he stuck up for it too - that's not normal. Maybe making BMW look bad is not a great plan for them. Having said that they absolutely slated the M4 GTS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whats not to like about the car? The question is can you get the Ferrari V8 into the engine bay?

The dealer they showed JC turning up at is T H White Swindon who are counted as one of the top three Alfa dealers in the UK by Alfa Romeo themselves. I am going for a test drive next week in the QF and will probably order one too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not normally one for a conspiracy theory, but as someone else said, why didn't they mention the Nurburgring record? It was only slower than the M2 by 1.1 secs and there was lots of standing water, the fact that it was that close shows it would kick its arse in the dry. Jeremy was easily argued down by the two muppets when he stuck up for it too - that's not normal. Maybe making BMW look bad is not a great plan for them. Having said that they absolutely slated the M4 GTS.
Relax. It's all part of the new show which is growing on me week by week. I don't think it's coincidence that May did a serious piece about an important new car (the NSX) then the lap time was greeted with "that's not quick mate". A week later and Clarkson's new favourite car is greeted with exactly the same phrase. Expect a serious review from Hammond next.

I could be wrong but in any case, a £60k RWD four door just over a second behind a £140k AWD hybrid in the wet is beyond amazing.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I came away from the programme liking the Giulia more and Richard Hammond considerably less. His smugness is becoming unbearable, and James barely talks these days, which is a shame as he's easily the smartest and most grounded of the three. Can't see me renewing my Prime subscription after this season.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
They really buggered that program up. I thought for a minute we were going to get a proper M3/Jag/Alfa comparison, which would be genuinely interesting. But, no, we got a Clarkson monologue, which was OK, but not as good as it could have been with a proper test.

I don't get the "I can't get out of it" line. I'm the same height as him, not as fat, but had no issue getting out. Maybe he has dwarf legs and has the seat too far forward?

·
Registered
884 Posts
They really buggered that program up. I thought for a minute we were going to get a proper M3/Jag/Alfa comparison, which would be genuinely interesting. But, no, we got a Clarkson monologue, which was OK, but not as good as it could have been with a proper test.

I don't get the "I can't get out of it" line. I'm the same height as him, not as fat, but had no issue getting out. Maybe he has dwarf legs and has the seat too far forward?
I know what he means about the doors, but if you don't have the big old gut it's much less of an issue. The thing I don't get is the tiny wheels comment? They are massive 19" wheels? It could probably just about stand 20s, but that would be it and it would probably ruin the lovely ride that he was so complimentary about.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts