Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has an Alfa the graduate black on black sitting in his garage.
he wants to sell it to me.
its in good condition apart from a tear in drivers seat which can be fixed.
I know nothing about this car and I wonder if anyone can tell me something about this model.
also which year was most desirable and what are the problem areas.
i’m sorry I don’t know what year it is. He wants $7000 CDN for it.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
'The Graduate' boat-tail Spiders were only made until about 1970. Very rare and collectable. Get it bought, especially at that price!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Just to be clear -

are we talking about the boat-tailed Spider that appeared in The Graduate, or the much later Kamm-tailed Spider that Alfa shamelessly marketed as the Alfa Spider ‘Graduate’?

big difference :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
What fun! What a scream! What a hoot!

Either way, Scudetto, I'm sure it'll make for a great weekender. But, now you have me curious too. What is the difference?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
What fun! What a scream! What a hoot!

Either way, Scudetto, I'm sure it'll make for a great weekender. But, now you have me curious too. What is the difference?
Good question :)

The Alfa Duetto with the boat tail and upright A-pillars is the Spider that features in the film The Graduate. These are super rare and valuable.

The Alfa Spider ‘Graduate’ is a special edition (I think) based on the 1974 (?) Kamm-tailed Spider with the sleeker A-pillars.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I wasn't aware there was a 'Graduate' special edition. Don't some dealers just use the term for extra kudos or to differentiate from the completely restyled later Spiders (916, 939)?

The Series 1(as used in the film) is a stunner. It gradually got uglier with series 2, 3 and 4 IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts