Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just spent 4 days in Berlin, saw 0 Giulias, 4 older Alfa's and a black Stelvio. Thought Giulia's were selling well in Europe?

saw this in Cologne a few months back, and am driving one this week
albeit not a QV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Campers in Devon this time of year? Easy to spot. And to smell too. Overrated things. I see a 145 now and again.

With a valuation of £35k my 1970 T2 is appreciating faster than my Brera is depreciating ... I get smiles and waves in either vehicle so I can live with that

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Was your T2 one of the 16 we saw on our way to Devon at the weekend Matty?

Perversely, we saw twice as many Ferrari 488s as we saw Giulias on our journey.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
With a valuation of £35k my 1970 T2 is appreciating faster than my Brera is depreciating ... I get smiles and waves in either vehicle so I can live with that

It's not surprising. Almost all cars that see a significant increase in value, see that increase about 40 to 50 years after they were introduced.

It's the kids who had the poster on the wall when they were 10 years old, or the teenagers/students who drove them when they were 16 to 20 years old. When they get about 50 to 60 years old, they have money to blow and are nostalgic and suddenly the prices go up.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Was your T2 one of the 16 we saw on our way to Devon at the weekend Matty?

Perversely, we saw twice as many Ferrari 488s as we saw Giulias on our journey.

No, I tend to head more north, love Scotland and Ayrshire coast ... don't get me wrong, it's Alfa's 1st always for me, but this van has been restored from bare metal to how it looks now and I've done plenty of it myself, so yeah, I enjoy slow as much as I enjoy fast ... a classic is a classic in my book regardless of make ... well excluding the Austin Allegro obviously

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
So what are the odds of this happening?

You have the do the math concerning the basic statistical likelihood of you seeing one.

They have sold about 25 000 Giulias in Europe since the launch in 2016.

There's about 256 million passenger cars in use in Europe.

So that means that despite having sold 25 000 Giulias, still only about one in 10 000 cars in Europe is currently a Giulia. So your chances of spotting one are fairly low, still.

As a comparison, Alfa has sold just over 360 000 Giuliettas in Europe since the launch. Now, of course not all of the cars are still on the road, so let's generously round that down to 300 000 Giuliettas on the road in Europe. That means one in every 850 cars on the road in Europe is a Giulietta. So you have a much greater likelihood of spotting one.
Stats aren't perhaps my forte, but pick any two cars in UK at random and the odds of them both being Red Quadrifoglios, to use a maths term, must be 'vanishingly small'.

Today driving West on the A303 just before Andover, looking in the mirror I saw a nice red car a few hundred metres behind.

I slowed down a little and as it closed up - Lo and Behold - a Red Giulia Quadifoglio just like the one I was in.

We must have gone only a mile or so together before he turned off. We exchanged friendly waves as he did.

Was it anyone who posts here?

Andy

PS I didn't see any camper vans heading Devon-wards. That's unlikely too surely? Though it was mid-week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMG_8879.jpg IMG_8658.jpg IMG_8663.jpg

Thought I'd share these with you then - there's a Guila in there and a 4C - as well as a host of GTV6 and a 147 GTA.

Taken at the Old Timers GP at Nurburgring this weekend. Dutch and German Alfa club were there - ''twas a nice surprise for my sorry little 147 TS (that had a damn good spanking on the ring and still came back in one piece)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I see another Quadrifoglio on a daily basis and know of 1 other within 10 miles.

I also see a white and a blue super pretty regularly also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't miss much on the road, and since ordering mine in June, I haven't seen a single one either. Mine does seem to attract attention though, some people seem to know what it is. Two have said, "I'd be interested in getting one, but..." It's that old "unreliable Alfa" myth, or at least I hope it's a myth. Time will tell.
I take it you bought yours from Westover?

If so, how did you find them? I'm about to order one from them...today hopefully.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I take it you bought yours from Westover?

If so, how did you find them? I'm about to order one from them...today hopefully.
Not much I can tell you, I wish I knew more. I wanted to buy locally and had no other choice. Westover Alfa are only 4 miles from home, and after that it's Portsmouth, about 50 miles away, bit far to go with small warranty problems. I think that Portsmouth are Meridien who supplied me with a 159 some years ago, and I'd rather eat worms than go near them again. There is some general Westover feedback on the net, much of it far from good, but from a sales point of view I found them OK. There was some tough bargaining, I struggled a bit to get a deal I could live with, but got there eventually. You must get the right salesman, you need Ben, no-one else. The other two Steve and Alex are nice emough, but not Alfa experts. Steve is from Jaguar next door, and Alex couldn't open a Giulia bonnet or answer most tech questions. They weren't very good about keeping me up to date on progress, but were very good at sorting out some number plate problems after delivery. Ben showed me round the workshop etc, but the standard of servicing and other care is something we just have to hope, it could be brilliant, and it could be terrible. I'm used to Sandown Mercedes in Poole, and they're going to be a tough act to follow. Still, as we all agree on here, a good choice of car, after sales service though, we can only hope.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts