Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this ad on the telly the other night, be interesting to see if they pull it off in any sort of decent timescale.

H

·
0 Posts
I take my hat off to them, it's been too long coming, especially from the major manufacturers.

The internal combustion engine, like it or not, is going to be made redundant, in our lifetime.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Interesting. A few years away though, but agree with HST's comments about timescale.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,712 Posts
renault claim all four of those new cars will be on sale 12 months from now; to clear, not an Electric Clio, or Megane, but bespoke designed electric cars.

I agree re: combustion engine; I don't think it'll be the propulsion plant of choice in 20 years.

I applaud Reno for dipping its toes in the water; can't wait for the RenaultSport versions :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the Detroit show looks like one or two are still pushing the Hydrogen Fuel Cell, I reckon thats the way to go personally, either that or cow farts.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,712 Posts
i don't know enough about either solution to declare a preference GD, I'm just glad that work's being done to actually provide some alternatives. Just in case, like :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hats off to them, brave advert to make in these testing times.

Good music choice.

12 months isn't a long time, they are obviously quite confident . . . . .

·
Registered
694 Posts
Saw this on TV and couldn't help thinking do they really have to be so hideously ugly?
I wish companies would stop wasting money on the charge-from-a-socket-electric and put it towards something that's actually a viable alternative to petrol/diesel. There are such massive restrictions on the freedom you get from a normal car that the electric ones just don't seem worth owning, seems like they're purely to make the companies look better to environmentally-minded people.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I can't see any form of hydrogen being suitable for mass retail sales. The future is possibly some form of induction from the road surface, either to pull a car or power electric motors, with rechargeable cells for local driving.

·
Administrator
46,879 Posts
It's probably necessary to go through this stage to develop the technology needed to do something of real worth.
But electric cars of this type, on a world scale, achieve next to nothing. The pollution still occurs. The fossil fuels are still consumed. The only advantage is that the pollution doesn't occur in our cities.

N

·
0 Posts
It's probably necessary to go through this stage to develop the technology needed to do something of real worth.
But electric cars of this type, on a world scale, achieve next to nothing. The pollution still occurs. The fossil fuels are still consumed. The only advantage is that the pollution doesn't occur in our cities.
Very true,

Although remember, France (Rrrrrrenault's home market) produces ~85% of it's electricity from Nuclear and hydo generation. (With a further 5% being pushed renewable by the government through
tax breaks and legally forcing EDF to buy in "green" capacity by 2015)

;)

I think France may come into it's own in the green utopia stakes in the next decade....
:D

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,712 Posts
what Renault's doing, Saab's fate and Alfa's future are interesting, inasmuchas...

in the 1970s, you would never have though that Renault - roly-poly old Reno! - would make some of the finest hot hatches. In 2000, you would never have thought that the hot hatch daddy would be among the first to offer an electric car.

It's companies like Renault, those unshacked by their pasts and limply clinging on to former glories, and prepared to take risks with respect to how the car needs to change, that I think will survive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts