Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

i would say winter has arrived, it was freeeeeeeeeezing this morning so wrapped up warm and went to defrosed the car.............doh! cant get my anifreeze out cos the doorlock frozen :rolleyes: when i do get in i start it up (2 attemps:( ) and let it run and warm up for 15 mins, while i had the first of many hot coffee's before my hourly drive.

Next week im on the train and the station is only a miles away so should i get up 15 mins early and do this every morning or stay in bed a extra 15 mins (soulds like a plan lol!) and just jump in the car and go??

im sure i read in the manual something like the car doesnt need heating up (could be wrong could have been the bmw manual im not sure) i think i read on this forum 80% engine wear is from start up??? again could be wrong.... as the mrs says im alway wrong :lol:

it does sould a little rough in the cold mornings and didnt start first time either (a first for this gtv)

so 15 mins in bed or defrost for 15 mins????

o and no!! i aint going to walk or worse, cycle to the station! :rolleyes: :cheese:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Know your pain :)

Got up this morning to drive the kids to school, locks frozen solid, no time to defrost so ended up walking the kids to school and being late to work :(

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boil the kettle and pour it over your locks, immediate entry

yeah i should have done that my brain didnt work proper this morning it doesnt most morning to be honest. for some weird bizare reason i thought if i breath over the lock, it would defrost :confused: god knows what the neighbours though when they looked out there window :lol:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Saturday was a freezing disaster here...

Car frozen solid at 8am, used de-icer but still had to get in the passenger door to open the drivers from inside as it was properly stuck shut.
Ice on the inside of the windscreen too, then started it to find an exhaust gasket had blown overnight(!) and the car sounded like a tank.
Needing it for work on Monday I had to nurse it round to Halfords (I wouldn't normally but it is literally 100 yards away and people were looking out of their windows by now...) before walking 2 miles to make the haircut I had perhaps foolishly booked a few months ago, made it with a couple of minutes spare.

Halfords weren't cheap but there was no way I could get under the car myself (post cat gasket) and at least the thing is fixed now.

:eek: I did have a bit of a strop on briefly though, muttering about wishing I'd kept my Focus!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My most painful morning experience with the Spider was about 2 yrs ago, just moved house and parked up for the night with the passenger side of car tight up against the garden wall.

Got up to go to work at 5.30am and found the car covered in 6inches of snow and frozen solid. Drivers door was completely frozen shut and the locks were 'bouncing'.

Because the passenger door was up against the wall it was a little less frozen and therefore I could open it, but only about 3" due to the wall!!

Got my self a big long stick, poked it through the door crack to drop the passenger window, and then had to climb over the front of the car, laying on the bonnet (in the snow and cold) and lean across with the stick to prod the drivers window.

Once that was down I could finally climb in through the drivers side window!!

Never again.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
boil the kettle and pour it over your locks, immediate entry

noooooooooooooooo this just makes it worse for the next frost, you need to spray silicon spray into lock itself and the opening button, honestly you do that 2/3 times over winter months and you will never suffer from any of this

ooohhh and lightly wipe it around the door rubber seal also

·
Registered
37,643 Posts
^^^^ That's the one. Because the barrel holds any water it just re-freezes. Loads of WD or (some say) vaseline.

Of course you know the better idea is to leg it anyway - idle! :tut:

Our spider was down to about 22mpg and you can see it 'dip' each winter in the overall fuel consumption figures, so give her a break and leave her on the drive!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
noooooooooooooooo this just makes it worse for the next frost, you need to spray silicon spray into lock itself and the opening button, honestly you do that 2/3 times over winter months and you will never suffer from any of this

ooohhh and lightly wipe it around the door rubber seal also
I second this, silicone spray is the preventative maintenance, perhaps even silicone grease to last more than a month or two.

We only get a frost a few days a year here so I know what you're thinking, but I go snowboarding in the mountains and on occasion have had to leave my cars parked in heavy snow. Silicone spray in the latch, around the door seals, and in the lock - it's the only way I've found to prevent it all icing up and prevent broken handles, jammed locks, etc. (the first year was a drama, but I've learned...) ;) I also learned to leave the handbrake off and park in gear, and not to use my credit card for scraping the snow and ice off - it split and the magnetic strip wouldn't work. Might not be a problem with chip cards :) I just use one of those loyalty cards instead.

I think I'd also keep a small butane torch on hand just in case - you can get a design known as a 'hot blower' (no flame) which would heat up and defrost a lock in seconds without adding water and without melting the plastic if you're careful. Something like this, with the soldering iron tip removed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Iron-Butane-Gas-Hot-Air-Blower-/280553623086
The better ones self-ignite, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-PPSK-Self-Igniting-Soldering/dp/B001DIE9BO which I guess would be handier if you don't happen to have a lighter in your pocket. Difficult, by the way, to get a lighter flame to play against the lock properly.

I guess if a power point is nearby, you could use a hairdrier :)

-Alex

·
Registered
948 Posts
A perhaps daft question, but where do I find silicone spray?
WD40 is everywhere but has no silicone anyway, and is properly messy stuff once it mixes with dirt.
Do Halfords sell it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ooh I actually have some silicone spray in the garage (Been sitting there for 6 years since I bought the place!) Will give that a try :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've used Vaseline for years on both door locks and rubber window seals and found it works fine. Works on battery terminal too....

Leave the car unlocked overnight and you shouldn't have the bouncing lock issue (insurance though....???)

I wrap the windscreen in a cover, start the car and use ASAP after spraying de-icer liberally over the other windows to ensure they are clear. No probs so far but we haven't seen less than -3 up here this winter yet. If it gets really cold we'll just swap to the Jeep, with all terrain tyres and heated seats.....:lol:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Vasaline works wonders on the rubber seals, used to do it on my 166 every year and never had a stuck door again! Miss the heated seats though, wish the gtv had them and heated mirrors.

Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts