Alfa Romeo Forum banner

30981 - 31000 of 31006 Posts

·
Administrator
45,307 Posts
I have to admit that the Liverpool team as a whole are not as hateful as they're supposed to be. Klopp has his moments of swivel-eyed rantage - but then he also has moments like his reaction to that Irish kid's letter asking him to lose some games (I mean that he was sweet, not that he arranged for Liverpool to lose their next 3 games), and his reply to the dipstick journo asking him what his views on Coronavirus were.

Lovren comes across as a prize pillock whenever he speaks. But he doesn't speak that often, and the most annoying thing he actually does is not play enough games for them since he often seems a liability.

Doesn't mean I'm happy for them to win though. And the fans are just as irritating as ever. 2 years of being decent, and reading their input on football forums would have you believe there had been no gap between now and 30 years ago.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I have to admit that the Liverpool team as a whole are not as hateful as they're supposed to be. Klopp has his moments of swivel-eyed rantage - but then he also has moments like his reaction to that Irish kid's letter asking him to lose some games (I mean that he was sweet, not that he arranged for Liverpool to lose their next 3 games), and his reply to the dipstick journo asking him what his views on Coronavirus were.

Lovren comes across as a prize pillock whenever he speaks. But he doesn't speak that often, and the most annoying thing he actually does is not play enough games for them since he often seems a liability.

Doesn't mean I'm happy for them to win though. And the fans are just as irritating as ever. 2 years of being decent, and reading their input on football forums would have you believe there had been no gap between now and 30 years ago.
I find TAA to have a dirty streak... And whilst he can attack, I'm unconvinced of his ability to defend. I suspect we'll see AWB improve in the next 18mths to be the best English Right Back/RWB.

But going back to yesterday, Ederson gave me a good chuckle! And it shows it's not all about possession football. I've stated before in this thread that I'm no fan of tik-tak boredom. And it's not like we were route-1 either.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
3rd win on the trot now. The seasiders set adrift by the Super White Tranmere army.

3 points off safety now and a game in hand. TEQUILA

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Bastid.

I know I'm not the only one who was duped by the nice guy Klopp - he's as rabid a rantmonger as the prem has ever seen.

In Coronavirus we trust.
I was supposed to be on my way to Austria today but the game I was attending is being played behind closed doors.

i wonder when our government is going to do something similar? Hopefully they can also stop open top bus parades.

·
Premium Member
77,344 Posts
Nice to see the wheels wobbling at Anfield. It's thin beer, given the wider context, but I'll take it.

In other news, Pogba can properly do one.

·
Administrator
45,307 Posts
Does it make it
more hilarious
worse that all the goals were scored by Premier League rejects?

·
Premium Member
77,344 Posts
erm.....given that the peak is likely to be 2-3 months away, and the euros are in the summer - I think this is just a bit of "don'tknowwhattodonext-ism".

I think they need to call the season off - award points based on an average earned to date - and, sadly, award the title to Liverpool, relegate Norwich etc.

It's the only way.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,384 Posts
Postponement until April 3rd at the earliest. Can’t start the next season until current one either completed or voided, and no Cricket Duckworth Lewis style system so if it goes on for months, voiding looks most likely

·
Administrator
45,307 Posts
What has struck me in recent days has been many ex-pro pundits talking about how 'this isn't football' when referring to games like last night's United game - played behind closed doors to almost empty stadiums.
I thought - there'll be many lower and non league sides feeling rather insulted by that. By all accounts the 'empty' stadium still had about 500 people in it, so still a bigger crowd than many will see every week. I do get the point they were making. But maybe a little insensitively put.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Yeah....why go to an open stadium...where your are unlikely to catch it unless stood next to a victim who's touching you /coughing in your face. You will obviously be far less likely to catch it jammed in a pub with 100 others! Not!

Not my words...some MEP....but he had a point.

·
Administrator
45,307 Posts
I wonder if that MEP has been to a football game with tens of thousands of fans attending?

I can assure you that the people next to you when you're viewing the game are very much not the only people you end up pressed against and breathed on by during the whole experience. Getting in and out of the stadium is a scrum.

·
Premium Member
77,344 Posts
I have been thinking about this - there is no fair way to decide the outcomes of this season if matches cannot be played. It is increasingly clear that matches cannot and will not be played.

Euro 21 looms...

Runaway titles are one thing - but relegation dogfights, european qualifications and play off places are something else entirely. It would be a mockery if mere averages were played out to reach a 'final', extrapolated position. What are the options then?

Averages projected forwards - this takes no account of recent form, strategy, tactics, injuries (in and out).

Forecasting form from the last 10 matches - as above, just in raspberry.

Ending the season now, and fixing positions based on current standing. Crackers for all the same reasons.

Calling the season off - and, sadly, declaring it void. This seems like the only reasonable option that I can think of. I know my hatred of the bin dippers will be cited as my motivation, but it isn't. I had previously considered the possibility of Liverpool being awarded the title after a vote from other prem teams - but how then do you settle relegation spots? Do you call them null and void? What about Leeds? Are they robbed of a golden opportunity to achieve the big league status again - Fulham also!!!!!

Inequitable handling would surely be challenge-able in the courts?

Have I missed other options?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
It's a difficult one to fathom. Take my team Tranmere Rovers, currently in the L1 relegation zone, three points off wimbledon. But we've just won 3 on the trot and still have to play a few of the teams just outside thee drop zone. How can anyone predict what might happen in those games? It wouldn't be fair to say this is the ends off the season and that's your position SSO you are promoted/relegated.

The choices are finish the season or void it. Can't do votes or predictions etc.

If the season starts again will plays who have recovered from injury in that time be allowed to play?

But then what happens at clubs with players out off contract on loan for a season etc...

A minefield, but is it important? To clubs, their staff and fans yes. The world's isn't ending just changing.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
It's difficult. Apart from Liverpool, not much is cut and dried. You can't really say that Liverpool are champions but everything else is void. Ultimately who wins each division is relatively unimportant. Promotion and relegation are much more serious for the clubs involved. I don't see how you can promote or relegate based on part of a season.

I think my preference would be to declare the teams at the top champions, to give something to cheer about/get cross about, and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
77,344 Posts
It's difficult. Apart from Liverpool, not much is cut and dried. You can't really say that Liverpool are champions but everything else is void. Ultimately who wins each division is relatively unimportant. Promotion and relegation are much more serious for the clubs involved. I don't see how you can promote or relegate based on part of a season.

I think my preference would be to declare the teams at the top champions, to give something to cheer about/get cross about, and leave it at that.
Yeah - that was my starting point, but I could imagine legal challenges, possibly, and I just can't extricate the champions question from the other issues.

·
Administrator
45,307 Posts
If the season is voided my assumption is that when we start again, it is basically a refresh of the 19/20 season (though obviously it will be named for the actual year then) - does that include competitions already completed? Do Liverpool lose the early season titles they won (Super cup and World club cup from memory. Can't remember who won the Community shield), and City the League Cup?

If not, what happens when the season starts afresh? Every other competition begins from scratch - do we end up with duplicated copies of those competitions versus others? Or do we just not play those competitions in the new season?

30981 - 31000 of 31006 Posts