Alfa Romeo Forum banner

30821 - 30840 of 30914 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I didn't watch the game. I assume it was a clean break? (like the infamous David Busst one or Eduardo?)
No TV replay thankfully,it was a stomach churner - i expect it will be all over the net,but i'd avoid it if you can :vomit: Red card seemed a bit harsh on Son,but did him a favour as he was too upset to continue anyway (as was Aurier who unavoidably did the damage,and had to be subbed off shortly after)

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
Add to that an absolutely horrible injury to Andre Gomez in the Spurs Everton game.
I didn't watch the game. I assume it was a clean break? (like the infamous David Busst one or Eduardo?)
Without going into graphic detail, it was his ankle. Son caught him and he landed with his foot under him. Not pretty. Son was distraught. The challenge was a trip, the sort of thing that puts people on their arse but not normally damaging.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
There's a morbid fascination to see if the injury is that bad. But I'm avoiding MOTD and won't be looking a for it on the net. The player reactions say it all.

I saw the David Busst injury and that was sickening. Schmeichel almost ran away when he saw it.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
There's a morbid fascination to see if the injury is that bad. But I'm avoiding MOTD and won't be looking a for it on the net. The player reactions say it all.

I saw the David Busst injury and that was sickening. Schmeichel almost ran away when he saw it.
Watched it on MotD. Both during the game and in the analysis they specifically stopped the action before the impact. For the record I would agree with Atkinson's original decision of a yellow card. In my opinion, the awarding of a red card is wrong. The horrific incident in the aftermath was extremely unfortunate and I wish Gomes a speedy and full recovery. Son committed a foul, but to paraphrase Kevin Kilbane, players know the possibilities of an injury and I do not believe there was any intent to injure. I don't think it was reckless along the lines of someone driving at 60mph+ in a 30mph zone but more (arguably) 40 in a 30. Still breaking the limit but more worthy of points/re-education than a full-on "ban". I actually thought the Steve Cook challenge through the back of Rashford was at least as reckless yesterday but very little has been mentioned of it because there wasn't a resulting injury.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
General opinion is that the tackle only Warrented a yellow. But I think the red card did Son a favour. It got him away from a very distressing situation. Not sure how many subs were left (Aurier was subbed because of his reaction).
Everton fans may have given him grief if he'd stayed on, plus his own mental state needed to be taken in to account.

Maybe the game should have been abandoned. Doubt anyone wanted to play on really.

·
Administrator
45,074 Posts
Terrible journalism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50327003

How did they pick a United example, and it wasn't John "The Cat" O'Shea? I still fondly remember his time in goal, with Rooney on the bench absolutely wetting himself. And because of that game, O'Shea has played every position for United. (Striker is contentious. But I think he was pushed up top late on in a game or two we were trailing, and who can forget that goal against Arsenal - ignoring that no-one has any idea what he was doing in their area in the first place?)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It was funny,but sort of spoiled a good match.The time taken too get him on the pitch was farcical (or more likely, canny game management by City)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Biggest complaint last night? When we scored the 3rd so early in the second half I wanted at least one more... I would have taken 3-0 at half-time had it been scored on, say, 70 minutes. We showed a lot more positivity but we also showed that we're wasting some chances/opportunities too.

Romero - solid enough, didn't have a lot to do. Just a brief moment where he strayed out into no-man's land when they had a break on that could have been embarrassing - 6.5

Maguire & Rojo - generally calm but looked a little short on pace at times and a couple of stray passes. That said, were a decent enough "wall" but others may have caused more worry - 6.5
Wan-Bissaka - got forward well and some very good crosses allied to some less good ones. A couple of loose passes marred an otherwise decent performance - 8
Young - lack of tracking back, poor crossing and generally looking a bit past it more often than not. The desire may be there but the skill and decision making sadly isn't - 4.5

Fred & McTominay - while you say that neither sets the world on fire they had industrious games and generally spread the ball around well (Fred) made a few forays forwards (McT) or tackled/blocked where necessary (both). They balance well together but more accomplished midfields will be more challenging - 7.5
Mata - a nice game for him to be involved in. Showed his lack of pace at times, but was a good Enganche, linking the midfield and the attack - 7

Rashford - got into space, created/assisted but will be disappointed with his misses - 7
Greenwood - some good touches, provided energy though faded a little late on. Composed finish but missed a couple too - 7
Martial - a couple of times he drifted out the game, but his footwork on the goal and overall link up with Rashford illustrates some of what had been missing before - 8.5

I'm never great at the overall scores so I will add an error margin of +- 0.5

Ole - got the team playing but could have smiled a bit more - 7

·
Administrator
45,074 Posts
Young's pass for Rashford's goal (assuming it was deliberate) was excellent. I think 4.5 might be a little harsh, and possibly based more on his overall recent play rather than this specific game?

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
We scored more than one goal and won a game! :party: …...But we missed loads of chances :cry:

Scoring performances is always subjective. I agree largely but not entirely with Amicus's analysis.

We really should have had that game buttoned up and at least 5-0 by half time and an 8-0 would not have been harsh on Partezan. The chances squandered remain a worry but there was more fluidity and confidence bred of the first goal and still being given lots, and lots of space to play in.

Despite the opposition's lack of quality, even with some pretty modest pressing, there were too many stray passes under no or little pressure. I'm looking particularly at Maguire and McTominay. Maguire's early howler playing in their CF when he was miles out of position would have been punished by a better side.

Great dribbling skill by Martial and link up but I feel you're pretty generous given he was in and out of the game for long stretches at a time. Likewise, Young is struggling to cover so much ground but I think you're harsh at 4.5. Some of his passing/crosses were among the more incisive and while I think he accidentally under-hit the lay off to Rashford for his goal it turned out to be perfectly weighted. I've an optimist's view (hope?) that with a few more goals both he and Rashford will start to convert more of the good chances in future. Rashford looks the far livelier and involved of the two for more of any given game.

I'll give another little clap to my least favourite player, Rojo. I've ranted about him almost incessantly, I know, but again, as he has been in a few games recently, he did quite well. Was solid and I liked the no-nonsense Row Z clearance on the far side when they were in danger of mounting a break and we had little cover beyond him.

I think Mata was given enough time and space to flatter a little bit. He's only getting slower and much as I appreciate his service, past ability and general all round good egginess he's no longer a starter for me.

Ole realises this wasn't an especially tough test, he said as much. We haven't turned a corner yet but some of the movement and play was encouraging.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Another weekend, another raft of VAR complaints. It is getting really rather ludicrous. I would love to know how many of the vocal complainers in the media are the same ones who were shouting for it saying "refs need more help" beforehand. But that's by the by.

The Sheffield United "offside toenail" has to be the very nadir of all that is wrong with VAR? How ridiculous and at 3' 47" or whatever - almost four minutes - it surely wasn't "clear and obvious" so why persist in micro-analysing it? I thought Sheffield was robbed of the points as a result and it was a disgrace.

Personal bias against Liverpool aside, I genuinely do not know how the ref and VAR (so quickly this time) dismissed the very obvious Trent-Alexander penalty handball which effectively led to Liverpool scoring at the other end about 20 seconds later. I've seen far softer penalties given and I'd maintain had the shirts been reversed the Kop would have been baying for a penalty and the ref would almost certainly have given it. It spoilt the game for me. Thereafter City looked out of sorts but it would have been an altogether different match had Liverpool gone a goal down so early.

And we won another game! :party:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
but it would have been an altogether different match had Liverpool gone a goal down so early.
I agree about the decision,it was baffling even through my red glasses.

But i don't think Liverpool would have been a goal down in any case.From my understanding,City wouldn't have had a penalty because the prior Silva handball would have come into play for that.As it was, they were only reviewing the TAA handball in relation to it being part of the build-up to Liverpools goal. It is a gigantic mess whichever way you look at it though,its almost as if the refs are going out of their way to get VAR binned.
It's a shame its taking the focus of what were 3 very impressive goals

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
I agree about the decision,it was baffling even through my red glasses.

But i don't think Liverpool would have been a goal down in any case.From my understanding,City wouldn't have had a penalty because the prior Silva handball would have come into play for that.As it was, they were only reviewing the TAA handball in relation to it being part of the build-up to Liverpools goal. It is a gigantic mess whichever way you look at it though,its almost as if the refs are going out of their way to get VAR binned.
It's a shame its taking the focus of what were 3 very impressive goals
They were good finishes.

Your note about Silva handling apparently doesn't come into play according to ex ref Mark Halsey on the radio today. It was a ricochet/deflection back off the Liverpool player and he neither sought nor got control of the ball as a result.

I think VAR should be binned or completely revamped to be quicker, cleaner and accessible insofar as communicating to fans. It is sucking the joy out of the game. Players and fans barely know when or whether to celebrate. It seems to be more geared to chalking off goals too which is a fundamental negative about it as well.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Storm in a tea cup. It should have been kept in house but it reads like Sterling tweeted about it shortly after the flare up so I guess Southgate's hand was forced.

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
It seems it went from handbags to a catfight. Gomez apparently had a scratch under his eye.

Southgate is the gaffer so if he feels it necessary, fair enough.

It sounds like Raheem was being a bit of a knob but I'd rather emotions ran high than didn't run at all.

·
Administrator
45,074 Posts
We'll leave him where he is, to slowly bring you round to the right way of thinking.

30821 - 30840 of 30914 Posts