Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah well, my last 164 shell was finally collected by the scrap man today.:cry: I'd taken everything I wanted out of it and stashed it - even the windscreen! I filled it with other scrap metal leftovers from previous bits and pieces and was pleasantly surprised when I popped round to the scrapyard today and came away with £150 in cash.

What can I say? WHAT a car! Bought almost exactly 11 years ago for £300 with 150k on it. Put another 150k on it and really spent very little on it in the process. Now dump it for scrap, having kept all the valuable bits, and find that I've only lost £150 in depreciation.

Yes, £150! All those German car owners out there going on about their residuals...

...read it and weep, boys!

Best damned car I ever owned!

(OK, quite fond of my current 164 too)!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Ah well, my last 164 shell was finally collected by the scrap man today.:cry: I'd taken everything I wanted out of it and stashed it - even the windscreen! I filled it with other scrap metal leftovers from previous bits and pieces and was pleasantly surprised when I popped round to the scrapyard today and came away with £150 in cash.

What can I say? WHAT a car! Bought almost exactly 11 years ago for £300 with 150k on it. Put another 150k on it and really spent very little on it in the process. Now dump it for scrap, having kept all the valuable bits, and find that I've only lost £150 in depreciation.

Yes, £150! All those German car owners out there going on about their residuals...

...read it and weep, boys!

:wow: that's a result AVO. Makes me look like an amateur.

To equal your record I will need to live another 100 years.:lol:

By the grace of god I'll huv a guid go at it:cheese:

Pomeo

PS NB Dont ever pass the scrappies no onto Mrs P .:)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Yes, £150! All those German car owners out there going on about their residuals......read it and weep, boys!
Top class!!

I doubt she'd get £150 for you Pomie? :lol:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
You had a 164 that had done 300,000 miles?!

I've always thought the 164 was overall the best car Alfa Romeo ever made.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

-Alex
Ooops:eek: No, just an inability when it comes to basic arithmetic! It did a quarter of a million miles in the end - I "only" put another 100k on it after I got it!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:wow: that's a result AVO. Makes me look like an amateur.

To equal your record I will need to live another 100 years.:lol:

By the grace of god I'll huv a guid go at it:cheese:

Pomeo

Ta Pomeo, - though as you'll just see, I cocked up on the maths, so not QUITE as much of an achievemnt. Still, on the bright side, it must mean you'd only need to live another 83 years!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Alex :tut::tut::tut::lol:

Pomeo

BUTT

Ah that's better.
Ummm... Nah :lol:
I've owned two 166s and four 164s.
I have always felt the 166 is a stretched and more luxurious 156. That's not a bad thing (I have a 156 too) but it's not the same as the old 164.

The 164 was a total departure from what Alfa Romeo had before (it wasn't based on the 90 or 75, had nothing to do with the Alfetta). A huge amount of effort and theatricals went into development, shared with FIAT/Lancia (still separate to Alfa) and Saab. See the YouTube videos '164 preproduction' and 'Making the 164'. No similar videos seem to exist for any Alfa Romeo before or since.

Considering the fresh start, I think they got a great result. It had pleasing proportions, good reliability (probably better than the 166; no water-damaged ECUs or broken plastic water pumps or idlers on the original 164), very good performance and economy, and even durability was good - rust hardly ever a problem and have you ever heard of a broken 164 manual gearbox? - so I feel that when compared against all other Alfa Romeos for looks, performance, quality, and reliability, and also taking into account the low market value today, it's the best Alfa Romeo ever made.

The only well-known 164 problems back in the day were the stepper motors buried in the dashboard and the leaks from the hydraulic cambelt tensioner. I think it's one of the best cars you can buy from the early '90s (the Lexus LS400 being another, and that was also a fresh start).

By the time the 166 came along, the game had moved on and while the 166 is a good car (and I want one), I'm not so sure it raises the standard by as much as the 164 did. A controversial update in styling (the proportions are still nice) but my noise level meter showed the 164 was actually quieter (less road noise) and 166 performance isn't much greater either. The four-speed auto - inflicted on buyers in Asia/Australia/NZ with no manual trans available - is an anachronism, well behind the times. Also the 166 lacks some of the finer details, my favourite being the 164's illuminated, labelled fuse box with lid supported on strings :p

So has there really been any other Alfa Romeo that changed the game and sold as well as the 164? I guess the Alfasud must rate pretty highly - but we all know what happened to them...

-Alex

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Ummm... Nah :lol:
I've owned two 166s and four 164s.
I have always felt the 166 is a stretched and more luxurious 156. That's not a bad thing (I have a 156 too) but it's not the same as the old 164.

The 164 was a total departure from what Alfa Romeo had before (it wasn't based on the 90 or 75, had nothing to do with the Alfetta). A huge amount of effort went into development, shared with FIAT/Lancia (still separate to Alfa) and Saab. See the YouTube videos '164 preproduction' and 'Making the 164'. No similar videos seem to exist for any Alfa Romeo before or since.

Considering the fresh start, I think they got a great result. It had pleasing proportions, good reliability (probably better than the 166; no water-damaged ECUs or broken plastic water pumps or idlers on the original 164), very good performance and economy, and even durability was good - rust hardly ever a problem and have you ever heard of a broken 164 manual gearbox? - so I feel that when compared against all other Alfa Romeo models and also taking into account the low market value today, it's the best Alfa Romeo ever made. I think it's one of the best cars you can buy from the early '90s (the Lexus LS400 being another, and that was also a fresh start).

By the time the 166 came along, the game had moved on and while the 166 is a good car (and I want one), I'm not so sure it raises the standard by as much as the 164 did. An incremental improvement in styling (the proportions are still nice) but my noise level meter showed the 164 was actually quieter (less road noise) and 166 performance isn't much greater either. The four-speed auto - inflicted on buyers in Asia/Australia/NZ with no manual trans available - is an anachronism, well behind the times. Also the 166 lacks some of the finer details, my favourite being the 164's illuminated, labelled fuse box with lid supported on strings :p

So has there really been any other Alfa Romeo that changed the game and sold as well as the 164? I guess the Alfasud must rate pretty highly - but we all know what happened to them...
-Alex
Alex you're a passionate chappie but I'll have to disagree with you on two small points:
1) My 164 3.0 12v's manual gearbox grew a hole before I reluctantly got rid of it
2) As the proud owner of 2 Alfasuds currently your last point is a bit cheeky!!!

On a more serious note I do agree that the 164 is the unsung hero of Alfa Romeo.
I do believe it was the game changer with regard to build quality and lack of tin worm.
For the last 5 and a half years I've been running a 166 TS, I really like the car and plan to try and keep it running for another 5 or so years...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Alex you're a passionate chappie but I'll have to disagree with you on two small points:
1) My 164 3.0 12v's manual gearbox grew a hole before I reluctantly got rid of it
2) As the proud owner of 2 Alfasuds currently your last point is a bit cheeky!!!
Good call on both counts.
The Alfasud was a fantastic little car compared to everything else on the market (other offerings included the Allegro, for goodness sake...!) so I think it moved the game on at least as much as the 164 - trouble is, what was the survival rate really like? That's what I was getting at :)

On a more serious note I do agree that the 164 is the unsung hero of Alfa Romeo.
I do believe it was the game changer with regard to build quality and lack of tin worm.
For the last 5 and a half years I've been running a 166 TS, I really like the car and plan to try and keep it running for another 5 or so years...
Yes - the problem with the 164 is that it's getting so old now - 20 years! - and yet isn't old enough to be seen as a classic (to most people). You do get a little more equipment with a 166, such as a quieter engine with hydraulic tappets, the ICS (the 164 pre-dated such integration), and more airbags, not to mention paint that isn't falling off :lol:

I intend to get another 166 too. I've even weighed up other cars - BMW 530, Mercedes C230, Audi A6, Volvo S80 - and while the others might beat the 166's performance, they have a hard time matching the styling or value for money. Quality-wise, they're all pretty similar (Mercedes built its cars down to a price during that era, so they are some of the worst!)

-Alex

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never had a 166, but my wife had a couple of 156s, which, although they had their good points, I didn't think either could hold a candle to the 164 for build quality. My abiding impression of the 164 was that it was a very "conservative" car. Not much by way of innovation - though the climate control was pretty cool for the era. However, I think it was a "game-changer" in the sense that the detail design and the materials used were MUCH better quality than previous Italian cars. That must really have gone against the grain, but I think they did go all-out to try and get to German levels of build quality and durability. In my view, I think there were pretty much "up there" with the BMWs of the day - and actually BETTER than most 1990s Mercs, to be honest. However, I doubt that Alfa ever made any money on them - they give me the impression of having been a very expensive car to build.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I've never had a 166.However, I doubt that Alfa ever made any money on them - they give me the impression of having been a very expensive car to build.
After vowing never to have a foreign car my daughters punto and Bravo changed all that.
You ken MY opinion on 166's so perhaps one day soon you'll follow suit.

I am of the opinion that unlike the 156 they wouldn't have made much out of the 166 either.

HOWEVER...Their loss is your GAIN.:thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aye, quite likely. I've never liked the headlights on the 166 though - looks too much like a pit bull terrier from the front. The facelift ones were better, IMO. This will probably be my last 164 though - too hard to get bits now. I've never been one for spending a lot on cars but I do like my big Execs with lots of toys! Mind you, I've been tempted by a 159 too - good looking car those, but still a bit expensive for me!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

-Alex
I'm with you there. Came to this conclusion recently and on Tuesday my wife's 156 is being traded in for a Mondeo. That's how woeful an experience it has been. Nasty little thing that has cost me a fortune in repairs. Everything about it is just cheap and nasty. The moment you start digging deeper under the skin, the crapier it gets. Very pretty but that's it and I think 9 years is its limit. My GTV 916 was also a bit of a money pit but was fairly well put together compared to the 156. The 164 is still very much old school Alfa but with top quality materials and finish it is ageing gracefully with only a little care and attention. A 159 was within budget but the newer Alfa's just don't do it for me any more especially when compared to my 164. Hence the 'Mundano'; a solid workhorse that these days even looks good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts