Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening peeps

The rear wiper has stopped working on the G as of today.Can anyone confirm if it s the RH or LH Tailgate repair loom that I need to purchase in order to resolve this?Also has anyone used the aftermarket part/s available from shop4parts for this?Have used them in the past for a new mirror & they were great.Just looking for reassurance that this is upto the job.Many thanks in advance,
Ben.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for that.That was my take on things two heads are better than one & all that jazz.Only remaining questions are to those that have had this done is it an easy D.I.Y job or one for the pros & has anyone used this specific aftermarket part from shop4parts?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've started to travel on the same road as this same problem. My tailgate locked wire didn't confirm it was shut so I bought a new lock only to find out I had a broken wire in the LHS tailgate loom. The alarm wouldn't set and the badge button worked all the time. So I had to disconnect the rear badge to make the car secure. I then found I had a broken wire in the loom and replaced it. My worry is if you get more than one broken wire of similar size to repair which one is the right one to connect to? As a 2010 owner I'm starting to think the wire for wire replacement option is the best way to avoid any future problems or confusion. Anyone else had more than 1 wire to repair at a time?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heard of many say that they have.Going to take the hit & replace both then just a service & new front brakes & she ll hopefully be good for some time.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Anyone else had more than 1 wire to repair at a time?
I've had the rear heater wire (I think) go as well. Hardly ever have a need to use it so can't be certain.

Have actually got in the habit of dumping shopping and such on the rear seats as don't like using the rear hatch unless I have to - and it's actually easier that way too strangely enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi.
I had a broken wire on the left side. Once you've taken everything apart to get to it, I would have thought it must be easier to simply repair the broken wire rather than chop the whole lot out and crimp-connect a new bit of loom in place. You need to remove some of the loom binding tape to slide the rubber out of the way to do it.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi.
I had a broken wire on the left side. Once you've taken everything apart to get to it, I would have thought it must be easier to simply repair the broken wire rather than chop the whole lot out and crimp-connect a new bit of loom in place. You need to remove some of the loom binding tape to slide the rubber out of the way to do it.
it wasn't much fun doing just one wire and keeping the original gaitors. The replacement loom available does include new gaitors that should ensure minimum water ingress.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Hi.
I understood that the wires broke because the loom was a bit shorter than it needed to be and was being stretched when the tailgate was opened. In that case, surely, the replacement piece of loom increases the length and allows more play.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

I understood that the wires broke because the loom was a bit shorter than it needed to be and was being stretched when the tailgate was opened. In that case, surely, the replacement piece of loom increases the length and allows more play.
Actually it's the very opposite.

The wires are a little too long so when the boot is closed they becomes pushed together in a twisted bent mess - which is the reason some eventually break.

It just wasn't thought out properly although suspect newer models have been re-designed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, my 2010 G (bought used 5 weeks ago) has been in Evans Halshaw today fixing the rear wiper which hasn't been working. It now works after them putting a new motor on but has a mind of its own. Works when it isn't on, stops then starts again - even when not on. So they disconnected it and suggested it is a wiring issue. So booked in next week. Is this a 'dreaded tailgate wiring loom' problem? And should I just let them get on with it or tell them of the issues/solutions you guys have had? Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi all, my 2010 G (bought used 5 weeks ago) has been in Evans Halshaw today fixing the rear wiper which hasn't been working. It now works after them putting a new motor on but has a mind of its own. Works when it isn't on, stops then starts again - even when not on. So they disconnected it and suggested it is a wiring issue. So booked in next week. Is this a 'dreaded tailgate wiring loom' problem? And should I just let them get on with it or tell them of the issues/solutions you guys have had? Thanks
Yes, its the loom issue :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Any idea if they solved the wiring loom / tailgate problem on the 2014 facelift or do they still suffer from it as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi does anyone know where i can purchase a new wiring loom from and is this a diy job (i am an electrician) or is this a job for pros

·
Registered
284 Posts
hi does anyone know where i can purchase a new wiring loom from and is this a diy job (i am an electrician) or is this a job for pros
www.shop4parts.co.uk sell both looms for £65 + VAT each.
My preference would still be to repair the broken wires with flexible cable and heatshrink sleeving but you can crimp-connect a replacement section of loom in if you prefer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm not an electrician and I repaired two broken wires in my tailgate loom a few months ago. It's not a very difficult job, more just a bit fiddly...
I pulled on the wires that sit inside the rubber boot thing, using a screwdriver and two of them came out, and they were snapped in half.
I soldered on a extension on both wires and after that soldered it together with the other end of the snapped wire. That way I was able to pull one half of the wire through the rubber boot so I solder them together and they would go back inside the rubber part.
It's a pretty basic DIY job I would say.
The two wires that were snapped on mine had a different thickness so it wasn't hard to tell which wire to connect where.

·
Registered
36,737 Posts
The dreaded issue is not just a Giulietta issue as you can see from the range of looms from the German company.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The dreaded issue is not just a Giulietta issue as you can see from the range of looms from the German company.
I actually looked for an installation video for a hatch loom on youtube.. for the Giulietta. I thought there would be one, as it seems like 'such an issue' when you read what some people write on the forums.

Only found the guides of BMW and VW! Shows how much of a 'common' problem this is amongst any manufacturer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Second time i'm posting this, and please believe me when I say that I am not the seller!

I was going to buy these before I got news that I am getting a warranty repair.

2x Kabelbaum Kabelsatz Kofferraum Heckklappe ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA (940_) li + re | eBay

100quid-ish including posting to UK.

Apparently, these Sencom replacement looms should be good for many years, (more than OEM) as it has silicon insulation and nicely multi-threaded, so may be worth the bother swapping it all out rather than patching it and having to mess round in a few months again.

If you're a sparky then you'll have no problems installing it- comes with connectors, you just need a good crimping tool, which you should probably have. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you to disconnect the battery, or it may fry the on board computer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts