Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if it used that exaggerated stereo-type to sell - say, other foods types - whose head would have been scalped?

Double standards? Are Italians less precious or uncaring about stereotypes? Or, are portrayals of Italian stereotypes deemed seemingly less meaningful or offensive in a politically correct society (and, if so, what does that mean for equality?)

So, in between deciding 'Whensa youra Dolmio day?', discuss...

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It's funny, those ads have always made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but my wife thinks I'm crazy.

I guess the fact they get away with it means that the general feeling is that it's a bit of fun and the Italians are not so persecuted in general that they need defending.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny, those ads have always made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but my wife thinks I'm crazy.

I guess the fact they get away with it means that the general feeling is that it's a bit of fun and the Italians are not so persecuted in general that they need defending.
it is interesting, isn't it?

a) that the ad agency thought they could get away with it - and they did!
b) that no one has - to the best of my knowledge - complained

I'm trying to understand what this tell us.

Selective stereo-typing is ok? Or Italians are less precious about such things?

There is no way this advert would have passed/been accepted if it was for another sauce.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
What about uncle bens adverts, you know the one for Chinese sweet n sour and has the Chinese guys doing kung fu and flying in the air stuff.

TBH I like the dolmio adverts, but the uncle bens kinda almost steps the mark if you know what I mean.

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
Maybe the deciding factor is whether the stereotype is degrading? Or is a stereotype automatically degrading because it generalises?

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
What about uncle bens adverts, you know the one for Chinese sweet n sour and has the Chinese guys doing kung fu and flying in the air stuff.

TBH I like the dolmio adverts, but the uncle bens kinda almost steps the mark if you know what I mean.
I think it's the intent that matters, it's not like anyone is trying to offend someone. Maybe you'll get someone who's a bit sensitive gets offended, but I don't suppose in general Italians are offended by Dolmeo ads. I'll ask
Marco on Monday :lol:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it was an identical advert for curry sauce, how do you think it would have faired?

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
'You eat my Noodles?'

'Australians wouldn't give a XXXX for any other lager'

'Une Stella Artois, et le monee?'

Nothing more than laziness from advertising types.

Remember the old Audi adverts, all the same stuff?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'You eat my Noodles?'

'Australians wouldn't give a XXXX for any other lager'

'Une Stella Artois, et le monee?'

Nothing more than laziness from advertising types.

Remember the old Audi adverts, all the same stuff?
good perspective shout that, i must admit.

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
I don't really pay attention to the advert. What do they do that stereotypes Italians, beyond speaking in an Italian accent?

If they were trying to stereotype Indian people in an advert for Indian food, what do you think they would do beyond have them speak in an Indian accent (and of course eat curry - but it'd be hard to avoid that one in an advert for curry!)?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really pay attention to the advert. What do they do that stereotypes Italians, beyond speaking in an Italian accent?

If they were trying to stereotype Indian people in an advert for Indian food, what do you think they would do beyond have them speak in an Indian accent (and of course eat curry - but it'd be hard to avoid that one in an advert for curry!)?

Hello Bazza,

I'll take your question in two parts:

The Alfa in the background, the suggestion mum and dad are having a bit of nookie in the garden ('gosh, those rampant Italians; always at it in between cooking the pasta!'), the deeply exaggerated 'Allo Allo' Italian accents...

As for your second question, I'm going to watch that advert again; first viewing was that it's less of a cliche than the wazza youra dolmio day advert is :)

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
Would you even consider Marco Italian?? :lol:

Don't tell him I said that? :eek: :lol:
He's from the south, not that far from the 156/147 factory at Pomi.. Doesn't sound it tho. Have you heard Swiss doing our auto-attendant phone message?? :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts