Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
^^ that goes for me too. I mean I agree that the Queen is magnificent, not that I'm magnificent (even though I am).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not a royalist. That said I am not anti royal per se.

But what comes across is that they are just a normal family. And a bloody hardworking one at that. She's at an age where she should have her feet up all day. Yet she ploughs on with more engagements per year than there are days. Working virtually all of the time.

That's stamina. And that's something to be celebrated.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm in favour of abolishing the whole monarchy.

The Queen seems a decent enough person I just dont agree with having an unelected head of state, plus the myriad of hangers on ... and as for the House of Lords... ....grrrr

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
80 and still working away for her country. Never seen a or heard a moan once. I hope to be long since retired by that age (if still alive), respect to her.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I'll have to catch up with this on iplayer because I only saw the first one. It was interesting but, to be honest, it's not something we would sit down and watch at 9pm. Earlier, yes, but by then we just want to watch CSI or something equally less intellectual :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
I'm in favour of abolishing the whole monarchy.

The Queen seems a decent enough person I just dont agree with having an unelected head of state, plus the myriad of hangers on ... and as for the House of Lords... ....grrrr
I felt the same once, quite some time ago now: I've always had a problem with privelege with and authority that hasn't been earned. As I've grown older, the pragmatist in me has become more prevalent and I've come to realise that the system of a constitutional monarch actually works very well. Surprising as it may be, an unelected upper chamber with limited powers also works very well, despite the politically motivated appointments to that place.

Assuming that an alternative system would have an elected membership (which really would have to be the case) I cannot think of anything worse. In the first instance an elected upper chamber would quite reasonably require far greater powers including the power to overturn legislation from the lower house - a power that is quite limited at the moment. Furthermore an elected head of state would have their own agenda too and could not be expected to simply decorate state events.

Without branding all politicians as a bunch of arrogant, self-serving, lying toerags, the thought that I'd have to endure more of them saying one thing but doing another, not answering the question and generally treating the popuulation as idiots depresses me considerably.

What I'd really like is to refit and recommission Britannia and present it to the Royal Family for their use at the country's expense. It might cost as much as a few bankers' bonuses but would please her immensely, I'm sure

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whilst the gist of this thread was to express my admiration of the Queen herself, and her work ethic that - as an octogenarian - puts most younger than her to shame, the role of the monarchy itself is interesting.

One of the nice things about the British 'system' is that power is relatively widely distributed amongst a number of groups and institutions. The politicians have some, the lords have some, the monarchy has some, the police and judges have done, the media have some (too much? ), and - god help us - every now and then joe public has some. This makes the whole system relatively stable, as no one institution has enough power to do anything really really stupid.

The proof of the pudding is that the same system has been around for a long time now, albeit slowly evolving.

Remove the monarchy from the equation, and you implicitly hand more power to another group - most likely the politicians as noted above.

Having said that, I suspect the monarchy will continue to 'streamline' itself. There are no-doubt some royal hangers-on that we could do without.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd prefer a president then you can get rid of them i fthey turn out to be rubbish, but not like the US model where they actually have power, a bit more like Ireland, I'd have someone like Annie Lennox as president of Scotland, for England you can decide yourself. But definitely no politician, more like a do-gooder head of state.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd prefer a president then you can get rid of them i fthey turn out to be rubbish, but not like the US model where they actually have power, a bit more like Ireland, I'd have someone like Annie Lennox as president of Scotland, for England you can decide yourself. But definitely no politician, more like a do-gooder head of state.
Which is fine. We'd end up with Tom in Wales. And that's fine cos clearly he'd be awesome :D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Maybe we could just cull a few of them to keep the numbers down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts