Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Second thoughts... I'll park the beast in the garage and "test" the fuel.. make sure it's okay.. :D

Ralf S.
It goes "off" like petrol, best used fresh:lol:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry, disagree with the idea of not revving it. Fastest way to DPF issues is to drive it like your grandma would. And if you're after economy, don't assume that cruise control is the way to go on a motorway. I subscribe to the new theory of oscillating between accelleration and deceleration to get the best economy. The throttle is basically a switch. It works at maximum efficiency when it is either open, or closed, not holding a steady position in between. Which is why I get better mpg on the motorway when I come off cruise.

R

·
0 Posts
I've got so used to diesel that when I've driven a petrol car it feels like the throttle is stuck on? No engine braking/overrun etc. I've got so used to the JTD it is smuking fart!

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry, disagree with the idea of not revving it. Fastest way to DPF issues is to drive it like your grandma would. And if you're after economy, don't assume that cruise control is the way to go on a motorway. I subscribe to the new theory of oscillating between accelleration and deceleration to get the best economy. The throttle is basically a switch. It works at maximum efficiency when it is either open, or closed, not holding a steady position in between. Which is why I get better mpg on the motorway when I come off cruise.
Sorry I don't have a dpf but I think it works best if you consider yourself like a works rally driver. Big throttle inputs wherever possible and then lift off for big miles!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
:) :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
swamped to 'devil juice' 5 years ago, not looking back.

new G JTDm2 170 in D mode most of the time

For maximum fun, don't try racing from lights, as lack of revs in first two gears is a real issue, so just wait until you are in 3rd at about 2k revs then hit the loud pedal. You can outhaul most vehicles at the critical overtaking speeds of 40 - 70mph. Or wait for a hill, and stomp on it - your torque works for you while most petrols are choking.

For max economy, empty the damn boot of all the junk, gather speed where the incline is in your favour, look a loooooooooong way ahead, use engine braking as much as possible, smooth steering, avoid brakes except where safety demands, pump and cruise (but I'd disagree - push on at 2/3 throttle is best, as 100% is usually inefficient), pump and cruise. Stay on the smoothest tarmac.

why bother, you say? its an Alfa, so thrash it?

not it you want the satisfaction of arriving first.

it goes like this:
- 540 miles in a diesel at 60mph average is one tank = 9 hours
- 540 miles in a petrol means two more stops to fill up = 9hr30 mins at 60mph drive speed

which means the petrol car either has to drive nearly 10% faster all the time, or you get there and finish your first pint before they do. :cool:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
So you start your 540 mile journey with both tanks full.

But your petrol has to stop twice :confused: how small a tank has it got ? once yes twice no :tut:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts