Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just about to set off to Mangos to change my 159 2.2JTS (which has been faultless for 4 years) for another 159.:D Test drove an Audi, no thanks:cheese:

Only this one is powered by the devil's own fuel .... it's a 2.0JTDM!

Sorry and all that but 26mpg from the 2.2 is getting a bit dear, plus if I bought another petrol I'd be worried that in 4 years when I change it there won't be much demand for big petrol engined cars.

Fing is, I've never owned or really driven a diesel before. (Apart from a couple of hire cars briefly.)

So, would welcome any tips from diesel drivers. Any tips on driving style? Is so messy to fill up I will need overalls? And what about the DPF issue ... it's not going to be as bad as the 2.4. Is it?

Will welcome all tips and thoughts. (Though really it's just a thinly veiled way of telling everybody I'm getting a new, well newish, Alfa today.) Yippee:D:D:D Carbonio black with black leather :cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
change gear. Don't rev Easy peasy

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I was one of those people that always said I would NEVER buy / drive an Alfa Romeo diesel powered Car, BUT I have been proved wrong 100% all round, this 1:9 Ltr JTDm, is without doubt the finest Alfa Romeo I have owned ( and there have been 11 before it ) The power is fantastic, the torque is unbelievable at such low revs, and it FEELS a LOT quicker than any other Alfa I have driven ( including a GTA ) plus you will see a VAST improvement in MPG. I average about 30 around the City, but stick it on the Motorway, click on the cruise control at about 70 mph, and you will easily get 55 MPG, as the revs are down to about 2000, in 6th gear. There has that cleared up any doubts you may have had.........:cool:

I'm sure you will LOVE your new Car in fact........:thumbs:

Even if it IS a Diesel !!!!!.......:cheese:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Sell it.. buy another benzina motore and fit the LPG kit in the boot.. :)

Ralf S.

B

·
0 Posts
Yep, I echo the above. Change up early, don't be tempted to hang onto gears, ride the torque.

I never used to, but yeah, I'd recommend using gloves when filling up.

I still miss petrol tho'!

·
Registered
831 Posts
it is not what you drive it is how you drive it

you can get great mileage from a big petrol engine if you short shift etc

answer me this you may get better mpg with diseaseal BUT is the extra cost at teh pump worth it

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got in and (apart from Mangos shambolic handover service but that's another story) I have to say I'm very, very impressed with the 2.0JTDM. In a strange way riding that diesel torque and the turbo kicking in is kind of, well, more fun than the petrol not less. It reallty does feel quicker (although it's not).

Computer is showing average mpg of 38 (car has already done 7000 miles). Long term average over 30,000 miles in the 2.2JTS was 27mpg. I reckon that 38mpg will improve over time so, yes, think the extra cost of the fuel will be well worth it.

Only thing is I've washed my hands 3 times since filling it up this PM (and done the washing up LOL) and they still stink of diesel, so yes there is a downside :lol:

Cheers for your comments ....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should have got a 1750.

No filthy DERV stink with these.

;)
I've been waiting all day for you to post that :D

I have to admit though it really is very good, and after all it was the Frenchies who got us all into diesel over here:lol:

Just going out to give it another test drive:cool::cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you driven the 2.4 - if so how does it compare to your shiny new purchase?
Enjoy your turbo- love my 2.2 but really miss the torque of my old 2.4.
Congrats on a top purchase - think the 159 looks great in 'all black' and being a bit lighter I guess the 2.0 will be lovely for a bit of 'chucking' around the lanes (provided you've finished the washing up!)
Good choice and enjoy.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
carbonio black with black leather - a fine choice :cool:

serious suggestion - if you're going to keep the car for a reasonable length of time, then go to alfatune in st helens/jjb in york for a remap with egr valve fix and dpf removal

* no more wasteful dpf regens
* no dpf clogging throwing the car into limp-home mode
* slightly better mpg
* BIG slug of extra power & torque
* much better driveability

oh, and of course the knowledge that your car would blow a 2.2 jts into the weeds in the blink of an eye :D

keep washing those hands though :(

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Glad you like the diesel, I did when I got mine but the feeling is wearing off right now.

I have the choice of a 2.4 10v or 2.5 V6 and the daft thing is that round town I prefer the diesel but on the open road the V6 is the winner. Now I know the diesel will give much better MPG on a run than my V6 but it just isn't floating my boat. :(

The torque of the diesel is nice but it doesn't give me the confidence to make overtakes I wouldn't even think twice about in my V6. :(

I think part of my trouble is I like revs and diesels don't. :(

I do appreciate doing 240 miles for less than half a tank. :thumbs:

Currently thinking of selling the diesel and waiting for a certain 145 to be offered to me or going for a GTV 3.0 V6, sod the expense I want the fun. :D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never got to try the 'legendary' 2.4 I'm afraid, so I can't compare it. But isn't the 2.0JTDM less prone to all the EGR/DPF malarkey? (If not yep remap/removal might be an option.)

Most of my driving is either nose-to-tailing at 30/40 in heavy traffic (can't remember the last time I had a chance to overtake anyway) or a blast on the M1/M62 (when it's not crawling) so I reckon a diesel will be well suited to that.

The untrimmed single exhaust on the JTDM is a bit embarrassing though after the lurvly twim chrome pipes on the JTS:(

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm sure you'll get loads of pleasure from her and no matter what's under the bonnet the 159 is a stunningly beautiful car. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Are people justified to be worried about the desirability of petrol cars in the future? And diesel is immune to this?

In Thailand, the rise of diesel is imminent, as government is struggling to keep prices low. Everyone who bought a diesel now regrets it.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Soon it will be cheaper to run the car on Malt Whisky! I'm moving to Scotland! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Second thoughts... I'll park the beast in the garage and "test" the fuel.. make sure it's okay.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Soon it will be cheaper to run the car on Malt Whisky! I'm moving to Scotland! :D

Ralf S.
In the early 70's we were living in Italy... wine was cheaper per litre than petrol:wow: failed to get the car running on vino:cry:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts