Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after much deliberation, cogitation and rumination today I test drove my 3 shortlisted replacements for the Scirocco

Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK 2008 (08 plate)
Stunning stunning car, solid and prestige as you'd expect, handling and performance very good, spec was a little poor and it was stretching the budget a little but its a Porsche!
I now know why most used 911's of this age only have 35-40k miles on the clock - its not a daily driver and with me doing 20k miles per year I couldn't live with the sporty hard ride, every bump and ridge in the road is transmitted through the body & steering - its a sports car!, also you have to "drive" it everywhere even at low 30-40mph its not lazy enough at times. I was very disappointed that it didn't suit my requirements, maybe in 5 yrs or so if i'm doing less mileage it would be top of the list.

Mercedes C63 AMG Black Series 2010 (10 plate)
6.3L 450hp V8 - probably wouldn't survive long and would end up in a nasty high speed accident, or loose my license or use all the remaining fuel in the universe ! Biblical performance and sound - its like a Volcano & earthquake in one - thats one serious car ! Scared me to death actually - nothing more to say

BMW M3 Monte Carlo Special Edition 2009 (59 plate)
Well sorted balance car, looks great in the Monte Carlo Blue with carbon effect interior and blue details on the leather seats, its a limited edition only 108 registered examples
DCT gearbox is as good if not better than the DSG, 414hp V8 sounds incredible (not as good as the C63) it had EDC which allows variable settings for the ride and handling, M drive adjustable everything, throttle, gearbox, steering, at low speed its comfortable and easy to drive, push on and its a beast!

All in all a good 4 hrs at the dealers, no pressure sales and happy to allow time and playing with the cars.

p.s I bought the M3 ! collect it next week.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Not surprised they were prepared to spend time with you given what they must be selling for......;)

Although I must admit that I wouldn't have immediately have thought of any of those as a Scirocco replacement - tho all good cars in their own way. :)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Dont mean to sound like a ******* or anything but I would have thought the interior or a fairly new BMW M3 would be a bit more... i dont know... I suppose a nicer place to be.
Im sorry if it sounds insulting, just my opinion. A bit too grey inside.

Nice ****ing engine though :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont mean to sound like a ******* or anything but I would have thought the interior or a fairly new BMW M3 would be a bit more... i dont know... I suppose a nicer place to be.
Im sorry if it sounds insulting, just my opinion. A bit too grey inside.

Nice ****ing engine though :thumbs:
I know what you mean its a bit bland, its certainly not as sexy as my old Brera interior i'd call it functional ? :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Nice little review there Leigh, not surprised you've gone for the M3 though as its a biblical car. I can't tell in the photo but is that blue a 'matt' effect finish? :)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
It's hard to knock any of those cars and I guess the M3 is the most "sensible" of the 3. All good stuff, enjoy.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,918 Posts
As a huge fan of the M3, I wish you many miles of brilliant (and safe) driving.

That is such a nice car :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Very nice, They never made a bad M3! The V8 in the current one is actually lighter than the straight 6 it replaces :thumbs:

Did you ever consider a Maserati?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Good stuff, I hope to have a passenger ride in it one day Leigh ;)

Also by way of additional congratulations here's an avatar I made earlier.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts