Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troops,

Reading the thread about the Ferrari and AOers' preferences with respect to Ferrari, or McLaren or Lambo etc, I started wondering about the decision making processes that those lucky enough to afford such cars go through when picking a supercar.

Do you think it is a purely emotive purchase, over a considered one? In other words, would the customer not care that say, the McLaren drives better than the rivals, because they desire and can afford the Lambo or Ferrari?

If you're in a position to afford a new supercar, would you test them all or would you just buy the one you hankered for? Obviously, all will drive well anyway so you won't end up with a duffer, but given how much they cost, would you not want to test them all to make sure your dream Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren is not just your dream car, but better than the others?

I guess I'm trying to get into the mindset of how one picks one supercar over another. My gut feel is that approaching it with orderly logic is lower than the emotive impulse to just pick the one you have always fancied.

Or maybe there's no need for logic. The cars will be used sparingly probably, so maybe as long as it gives you a buzz for twenty minutes on a day when the sun shines, then that's satisfaction enough.

Personally, if i could afford (pah! :lol:) a Gallardo/McLaren/458, I would try them all. I lean toward the McLaren in this case, but I would still have to check :)

Actually, on reflection, I've got myself in a muddle now. I really want a Miura, so in theory I should test a Daytona, too. But as lovely as the Daytona certainly is, I don't want one and I wouldn't bother to test one en route to buying my dream car. Hmm, maybe, lurking in that sentence somewhere, is a nugget of truth about how supercars get bought. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
It cant be a logic decision, or you would get 90% of the performance for a fraction of the cost, and buy say, an Arial Atom.

I think its very much the feel it gives you. If a Ferrari floats your boat then you will always go for that. If Mclaren leaves you cold then no way would you buy one, even if it did lap the nurburgring 0.1secs faster...!

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) may 'not worry about it' is the key to buying a supercar :)

·
Registered
38,475 Posts
I would buy whichever looked and sounded best.

That is what supercars are about...

You are hardly going to tell the difference between the performance of them on the road.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
For preference the car would be naturally aspirated and high revving - and the car would be red. Kinda limits the options for me

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I didn't test drive my MP4/12C I just guessed it would be right!

And then I woke up:(

Imagine planning that Saturday trip to a Ferrari/Mclaren/Lambo dealership...

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
46,383 Posts

You are hardly going to tell the difference between the performance of them on the road.
Absolutely what I was about to post.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts

Absolutely what I was about to post.
This is what I meant when I said I didnt care which lapped the NUrburgring the fastest...

Which makes me wonder why, on seeing the Ferrari a McLaren guy (not sure if it was Ron or not) said they were certain theirs would lap the ring fastest....

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
It cant be a logic decision, or you would get 90% of the performance for a fraction of the cost, and buy say, an Arial Atom.

I think its very much the feel it gives you. If a Ferrari floats your boat then you will always go for that. If Mclaren leaves you cold then no way would you buy one, even if it did lap the nurburgring 0.1secs faster...!
This.

Not all supercar owners are petrolheads. Quite often they, I think are bought as a status symbol.
I have a an old cheap supercar from 1997, an F355 because I am not wealthy at all. I bought it because first and foremost I just love the marque. The Ferrari is probably why I bought Alfas if I'm honest with myself.

I would love a Gallardo and an old one is not a million miles away in cost from my F355 but I would still have to have the F355 aswell which I definitely cannot afford to do :(. For me the F355 is better, though in reality it as a drivers car probably is not.

I also want an old 3200/4200 Maserati but only along side the F355.

So I think just like buyers of 'regular' cars it is down to the individual as to how they choose.

I know a few from ClubScuderia (Ferrari enthusiast) forum that there are petrolheads whom buy Porches, Astons, Lambos and Ferraris and those that just swear by the marque (Ferrari in this instance).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think they are all missing the point. Until you have net assets of over £5m and income around £1m it is not a 'decision making process' it is 'pointless fantasy'.

get over it, or buy something second hand that you can afford to own, insure and run. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts