Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
He also loses 1500 dollars on each car Tesla sells but people invest in his brand.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Ok, let’s flip it the other way. Is there a wealthy person who does good?
Most have contributed to the effectiveness of companies in supplying our needs. Whether their wealth is justified by that is a different question. There are plenty who make massive donations to charity, Bill Gates being an obvious example. Some (like Gates) also work at making things happen.

Don't know what we define as wealthy; the three billion people without access to piped water would probably view any member of alfaowner as wealthy. I've known several people who have a few million to play with, and most have been people of integrity, with energy, confidence and frighteningly sharp mental capacity.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
He also loses 1500 dollars on each car Tesla sells but people invest in his brand.
Hey cue2, how can that be? he could not stay in business for long. I used to have a mentor in my business that used to joke: "some companies lose money in every widget they make, but make it up in volume"

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
The cars are not his only business. Kodak lost money on cameras but made profit on film developing..

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Makes sense if the other businesses are making enough money to support Tesla. Interesting about Kodak in they invented the digital camera but could not kill the golden egg (film). Somebody else did it for them. And now Smart phones have taken over. Relentless innovation.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Aston used to lose money on every car. But their business model was to repeatedly nearly go bump and get bought by someone else.

Tesla's business model seems to be to sell shares rather than to sell cars. (That's a bit unfair. But not entirely untrue I think.)

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Aston used to lose money on every car. But their business model was to repeatedly nearly go bump and get bought by someone else.

Tesla's business model seems to be to sell shares rather than to sell cars. (That's a bit unfair. But not entirely untrue I think.)
If the $1,500 you lose on each car you sell is someone else's $1,500, then what does it matter? Elon's happy, he gets his salary and the value of his shareholding has gone through the roof.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Most have contributed to the effectiveness of companies in supplying our needs. Whether their wealth is justified by that is a different question. There are plenty who make massive donations to charity, Bill Gates being an obvious example. Some (like Gates) also work at making things happen.
When I think of the pain Microsoft software has inflicted on the world, especially in the Gates years, it's only right he gives his money back.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm no fan of Microsoft either, but if anything they've become worse since Gates. More intrusion onto people's "personal" computers with forced updates, a declared shift in emphasis to innovation and away from backward compatibility, and - the latest - taking over the whole start-up screen with adverts for MS products, that put the s***s up inexpert users fearful of scams.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I'm no fan of Microsoft either, but if anything they've become worse since Gates. More intrusion onto people's "personal" computers with forced updates, a declared shift in emphasis to innovation and away from backward compatibility, and - the latest - taking over the whole start-up screen with adverts for MS products, that put the s***s up inexpert users fearful of scams.
That's why..to both my sons disgust.....and because it is free/simple.....I use Lubuntu.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
I was mainly referring to the quality of the software under Gates. There was a time that the only decent program they had was SQL Server, and they nicked that off Sybase.

As I've said before I don't mind forced updates - for the average user it offers the best solution for safety and functionality. I'm not sure what you mean by "away from backwards compatibility"; unless there's some sort of fancy anti-copying mechanism in play, you can still run an original Win32 application on the current version of Windows. That's a 26 year old application. Try that on a Mac, or even Linux.

I've never seen full-screen adverts on Windows 10 start-up, or any other version for that matter.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Elon Musk has branded the British scientist whose alarming report predicted two million coronavirus deaths without a lockdown a 'moron' and a 'tool' - after he was caught breaking his own social distancing rules to see his married lover.

The billionaire SpaceX and Tesla tycoon is among many Americans who oppose strict social distancing measures and are voicing their anger at Professor Neil Ferguson for his hypocrisy.

Musk also rubbished Prof Ferguson's 'fake science' which on 17 March forecast apocalyptic death tolls in the UK and US if both governments did not enforce social distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Musk also branded someone a pedo for daring to not bow down to his ego and agree with everything he says.

And he's already said that he doesn't think the lockdown should have been done at all (because it'll cost him money).

I'm going to go ahead and consider that snippet of information about Musk's opinion to be completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
While obviously not being privy to the whole conversation, I never quite understood how the spat between him and the rescuer bloke escalated:

‘We have lads that are trapped.’

‘I think I can make you a rescue vehicle.’

‘thanks very much for your help, but due to the complexity of the caves it needs to negotiate, i don’t think it will work.’

‘pedo!’

eh?

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
I suspect the guy was a little more scathing in his rebuttal of Musk's offer, as he thought it was a pure ego trip and PR exercise on his part (and I suspect he wasn't wholly wrong).

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I suspect the guy was a little more scathing in his rebuttal of Musk's offer, as he thought it was a pure ego trip and PR exercise on his part (and I suspect he wasn't wholly wrong).
Ok, so the rescue bloke didn’t exactly help with his reply. But by jimny that escalated quite quickly!

and to resort to the worst kind of name calling... it’s kids in the school playground re-enacted by adults on Twitter.

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Ok, so the rescue bloke didn’t exactly help with his reply. But by jimny that escalated quite quickly!

and to resort to the worst kind of name calling... it’s kids in the school playground re-enacted by adults on Twitter.
There were all sorts of shenanigans with private investigators etc if I'm remembering the right case.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Everything from post #53 that’s been discussed is in this video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 91 Posts