Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hand on heart, for one reason or another, Elon Musk has passed me by. I know he’s minted, I know he’s behind Tesla, I know he has some big ideas about space and underground travel. But I don’t know enough to form any opinion of him.

others have. Idiot, pillock, loon... seems to be the general sentiment. I’m not saying those folks are wrong - like I said, I’m not in a position to judge - but does that not just simplify? Maybe he is an ‘idiot’; but he must be more than than just an idiot to be behind Tesla, behind his space and underground travel visions and so on.

Dunno. Maybe in general we use too few words when we castigate, but not enough words to fairly evaluate.

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
His wealth is still considerable and in the longer term that moment will possibly endear him to his audience.

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there an anti Tesla sentiment? If so, why is that? Not everyone likes electric cars but that’s no reason to slate the cars. Is it because Tesla came from pretty much nowhere and is rocking the established a bit? I’m not massively drawn to the cars, but I was impressed by the one I went in earlier this year. Not sure I get the negative sentiment towards Tesla.

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
The boss of VW is paying himself 8 million a year and can’t work out why their attempts at the electric car are not as successful in their concept using 100 programmers to try and get it to work. Musk has a vision and tells his people what he wants and when they’ve got there. That’s pretty valuable and he’s known for it. Not many people can name the boss of VW.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outside of the Golf, just wonder how many people can name a VW

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
I think he's a massive egotist. But clearly driven and intelligent.

His latest tweets about 'freeing America' are rather distasteful - a billionaire influencing workers to go and risk their lives so he won't be out of pocket...

And I think Pud's point isn't that he'll be in trouble with hius shareholders, but with the US regulator who controls the stockmarket. It's hard to see how that post won't be seen as deliberately influencing the market, which he both isn't allowed to do, and has already been warned for doing.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, he has been quite reckless in that department - and not for the first time, either.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Do you know he is digging tunnels under L.A to avoid traffic.
Do you know he once sold flamethrowers on his boringcompany.com website just for a laugh? Because spaceballs is his favourite movie and he got the idea from this scene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
He is already in trouble for this, having done it before. This tweet has enabled the short sellers, people who bet against the stock, mostly hedge funds, to make absolute shed loads of profit. He is very public in his hatred of these shysters, yet this is the second time he has made them rich beyond their wildest dreams. Can't help thinking he is getting some form of inducement from them.

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
A friend who’s in the city doing bets on shorts etc told me ages ago that Tesla is a bit of a Ponzi scheme. Deflating the values keeps the scheme from bursting.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts