Alfa Romeo Forum banner

621 - 623 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
Third test - Port Elizabeth - Day two
I don't know if this is a new dawn of English test team, or that South Africa are necessarily as good as the leading test teams (in Australia and India) but we appear to be in line to turn a 1-0 defecit around. Even though we only scored seventy odd in the first session on day one, I liked the application of two batsmen grinding out an innings and crucially, no wickets were lost in that session, which felt like a triumph in itself.

Today, Pope scored his first century for England and in doing so, helped us score 400 in our first innings for the first time in over two years. I watched him a little in the partnership with Wood at lunchtime, Pope played some ludicrous ramp shots off Rabada, over the keeper's head and Wood seemed to think that it was a one day game with about 40 off 20 balls. Great entertainment.

I am obviously hoping for a clutch of South African wickets tomorrow morning, the spinner Maharaj took a few wickets in our first innings and Bess has taken the first two wickets to fall, so that would look to be an omen for the rest of the game

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good luck. I hope you get the win. We (the Australian team) have come a long way since the low-point, 24 months ago. A three n-nil drubbing of the supposedly 2nd best test team in the world (NZ), haven’t lost or drawn a match all Summer and a 10 wicket thrashing of India in the first ODI of the series. All heading in the right direction. Hopefully done with humility and good grace. Tim Paine, a great test team captain and Justin Langer, a man of steely resolve.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Thanks. Earlier start this morning as time was lost due to rain. Bess struck early and got Elgar at bat pad position. Du Plessis then came in after Elgar and used his feet nicely very early in his innings to come down the wicket and hit Bess for two lovely straight drives through mid off but was then done two balls later by Bess again at bat pad on the on side (Pope with both catches) - Du Plessis should have known better, it was a bit disappointing from a cricket point of view.

621 - 623 of 623 Posts