Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a generic cricket thread similar to Keithboy's football discussion thread, where we can discuss and observe the wonderful game.

I'll start shall I?

I was listening to TMS while sitting at Arundel on Thursday and they were discussing the fact that there is a high probability that either Cook (or possibly Strauss) will soon top the list of century makers for England.

So I did a wee bit of research on Cook. On Thursday he made his 20th century in his 81st test. He now equals Gooch's 20 centuries from 118 tests and has been quicker to get there than Kevin Pieterson who is appearing in his 87th test.

Ahead of Cook are:

Strauss 21 in his 98th test
Hammond 22 from 85
Colin Cowdrey on 22 from 114 tests
SGB on 22 from 108

Cook is more likely to finish ahead of Strauss as he is only 27 (I found out that he was born on Christmas day) and Strauss is 35.

It is good to know that we have such a dependable and reliable batsman at the top of the order for the foreseable future. I guess a question that will be asked in a year or so is - who will replace Strauss at the top of the order? I think he'll still be here for summer next year but another winter tour in 2013-2014 might be beyond him.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I don't tend to keep up with what's going on in the county game, but there doesn't seem to be any test opener types in the England set up at the moment. I think nick Compton is a name I've heard mentioned, but beyond wishing Somerset well, I don't follow county cricket.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, he is the grandson of the famous Denis - I think any player who has aspirations to play for England should really be using this season as a platform to get himself noticed, so that perhaps he might get taken on this winter's tour.

Just watching the Test now:

Swann is getting a bit of turn - he'll most likely do some damage in the 2nd innings but is doing a great job of keeping one end quiet at the moment.

Amla has his 50 and received some warm applause - the morning is the best time to get to these milestones, before the beer monkeys start with their heckling.

England persisting with the line a fair way outside off stump to Smith - it really it is a battle of patience between him and Anderson.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smith too has his 50 - the slowest of his test career, it came off 162 balls and people say Sir Geofferey was dull!

Proper Test cricket though this.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smith reached his century just before Lunch, 103 not out off 201 balls. So his 2nd 50 took under 40 balls.

Class player.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Yes, he is the grandson of the famous Denis - I think any player who has aspirations to play for England should really be using this season as a platform to get himself noticed, so that perhaps he might get taken on this winter's tour.
After I posted that I had a look at my cricinfo app and he was mentioned. It seems he's having a pretty good season.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This thread is a good idea :thumbs:
Cheers Gibbo - quite surprised it wasn't done earlier, it will be nice to get other people's contributions though and expect the thread to reappear when England aren't playing, as I happen to encounter a random test series like Pakistan versus West Indies....

Just come in from being out all day and looks a bit worrying for England!
It's not looking good is it? We might turn up tomorrow morning and take 8 for 97.... Although perhaps not so likely given that de Villiers and others are still to come :eek:

Still, you never know, it's a wonderful game where the momentum can turn in half an hour!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Hopefully, we'll have the same sort of day south Africa had on the second day, or some of the hype over our bowlers (which I fully supported) could be somewhat overblown. It'll give fuel to the Pakistanis and Indians on cricinfo no doubt.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, we took two of their wickets and they took 20 of ours. Some shocking shots in our 2nd innings - Strauss and Prior spring to mind - we didn't even make them bat again :(

No application as Sir Geoffery might say.

Prior did redeem himself for Sussex last night though. He scored 60 off 38 balls. Yes that's rather good I hear you say, until you learn that Scott Styris scored 100 off 38 balls. On his way there, he scored 38 (yes, thirty eight) off one over and that included a dot ball. Sussex went on to win the game and are in the T20 finals at the end of August :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Prior did okay really, the game was gone by the time he came along. Top six failed again. Reminds me somewhat of the Pakistan and Sri Lanka series.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Steyn & Morkel bent their backs. They bowled 5 mph quicker and that made a lot of difference on such a flat track.
Still there's always the 2nd test.
England had a shocker, it happens. They need to put it out of their minds and get on with it.
Graeme Smith needs to go back home with his tail between his legs :O)

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2nd Test then - it is good to see that we have managed to get the South Africans out at last, even though the surprise decision was take to leave Swann out of the team. We need to make a big score here but there may not be enough time left in the game.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did but that took time out of the game, ensuring that the Saffers didn't have too long to bowl at us with what most commentators seemed to think was a surprise declaration by Smith.

KP's innings was stunning though, there were some really audacious shots in there, including the straight six off Steyn and the uglier shot where he move his left foot to leg so that he could pull Morkel over straight midwicket.

Whether he remains in the team after this series though is a concern. It is going to be an interesting story....

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and

I spent yesterday in the sunshine at Hove County Cricket ground.
I spent today in the sunshine at Hove County Cricket ground.
I am hoping to spend tommorrow in the sunshine at Hove County Cricket ground.

It has been a rather pedestrian game, we had them at 67 for 6 at lunch on the first day, bowled them all out for 170 on the stroke of tea and betwen the two tea intervals yesterday and today we made 287, which was a valuable lead of 117. They had a good start but we managed to take a couple of wickets before the close, so tomorrow should be good!

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KP's innings was stunning though, there were some really audacious shots in there, including the straight six off Steyn and the uglier shot where he move his left foot to leg so that he could pull Morkel over straight midwicket.

Whether he remains in the team after this series though is a concern. It is going to be an interesting story....
Well now, here's a bit of a shock, it has happened sooner than I thought, KP has been dropped by England, apparently for sending texts to the South African cricket team that made derogatory remarks about Flower and Strauss :eek:

BBC Sport - Kevin Pietersen dropped by England for text message dispute

However just yesterday he made himself available for one dayers again

BBC Sport - Kevin Pietersen reverses limited-overs England retirement

He's quite the enigma isn't he!

1 - 20 of 623 Posts