Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may know, Kaz (mrs Jon) is in hospital & I am getting urinated off spending a small fortune on parking :mad:
Couple that with the personal phone / TV's that are positioned at every bed, it becomes an expensive business :rant:
I understand it costing for Kaz to phone some-one, but when I phone Her, the automated voice rabbits on 'for ever' informing me of the costs of using this 'premium' line & I am paying to be told this!! :rant: :mad: :rant:

Profiteering from peoples ailments should not be allowed :tut:

And breathe......

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Agreed, on a plus note they are talking about abolishing car park fees. My partner went into hospital a couple of weeks ago, and due to visiting hours i spent £10 on parking fees. The tv and phone installed at the bed side have nothing to do with the hospital a private company install these at no cost to the hospital, but i am sure the hospital would make some money from it. It might cost a lot to use these services but you have to think it makes a patients hospital stay a little more bearable with the option to watch tv and make a call.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, on a plus note they are talking about abolishing car park fees. My partner went into hospital a couple of weeks ago, and due to visiting hours i spent £10 on parking fees. The tv and phone installed at the bed side have nothing to do with the hospital a private company install these at no cost to the hospital, but i am sure the hospital would make some money from it. It might cost a lot to use these services but you have to think it makes a patients hospital stay a little more bearable with the option to watch tv and make a call.
I have no doubt the hospital takes a 'slice of the pie' - I agree that making the stay more bearable is a good thing :) but I think there should be a cap on the profits made considering the circumstances

Sorry to hear about that Jon. Please pass on my best wishes to your wife :).
Thanks, I sure will :)

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Have a chat with the ward sister, at Hope hospital if you are visiting your nearest and dearest and say they are in for a week you can get a parking pass, you go to the parking office and pay a few quid and you get a weeks use out of it,
Surprisingly this service is not advertised anywhere, but exists

Hope she is ok:)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Best wishes to your wife Jon, hope she is okay and gets better soon.

Was a lot of publicity and paper inches about car parking fees up here and most have now either been abolished or capped. The patientline tv and phones are a complete rip off and end up costing a fortune. That alone accounted for about £20 last time my wife was in hospital. I agree with you, why does it end up costing me so much to phone her?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The tv and phone installed at the bed side have nothing to do with the hospital a private company install these at no cost to the hospital, but i am sure the hospital would make some money from it.
The hospitals made money from it by not having to cover the costs themselves. It was a mandatory NHS target sometime ago that patients had access to these services. I don't think they get any share of the revenue though.

iirc when my father-in-law was in hospital a few years ago PatientLine nearly went bust because not enough people were using it. Probably because of the rip-off prices. Why not lower the price and wait a little longer for the profits?

Anyway Jon .......

I hope Mrs Jon gets better soon :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
In Wales they abolished charges for parking at hospitals, once the parking contract runs out or in many cases already had, the Welsh assembly banned parking charges. Patientline is still there but IMO its a total rip off and prays on the vunerable. Hope the Mrs gets better soon :)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all Jon, I hope your wife gets better soon.

Last year my aunt was seriously ill and was in Watford hospital. She is fine now thankfully, but it didn't look good for some time. So the whole family were visiting and we would make the sixty odd mile journey each weekend. What was disgusting was that not only were the charges high, but being next door to the rugby ground if a match was on, they would give up an area of the car park to the ground for staff parking!

So after making the journey there more than once we would get diverted around Watford, and then be faced with a car park jobsworth. One time my dad was close to hitting the guy after he made a sarcastic comment. I mean here he is visiting his sister who might not pull through and gets told he has to wait because of a ****ing rugby match!!!

Like I say though I hope Mrs Jon is OK. The one good thing is the actual hospital staff are usually bloody good at what they do.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all - I passed on the best wishes :D

She couldn't miss x-factor last night - £3.50 for a 24 hour tv card :eek: - still I'd pay that to see Cheryl :lol:

I'll see about a parking pass, no harm in asking :)

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
In Wales they abolished charges for parking at hospitals, once the parking contract runs out or in many cases already had, the Welsh assembly banned parking charges. Patientline is still there but IMO its a total rip off and prays on the vunerable. Hope the Mrs gets better soon :)
I had to pay a couple of months ago at Glan Clwyd??

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
At Ipswich hospital I believe we have to have to have proof of 3 hours of paid parking (£9) then you could get a weeks pass for £5. Again its not advertised but always wirth asking about.

Hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I had to pay a couple of months ago at Glan Clwyd??
The Glan Clwyd parking contract runs out in 2010 in believe or 2012 its one of em lol. Once the existing contracts run out then thats it no more charges, Glan Clwyd and Cardiff are the few who are still charging for the next few years due to existing contracts (simply the people who run the car parks threatened to sue the welsh assembly and NHS for breach of contract which is why they were able to run until they end).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hope your other half gets better soon nom nom (sorry:lol:). Just a thought though, my mother was in in my local hospital (gartnavel, glasgow) and she was allowed to use her own mobile phone. Maybe worth checking?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
At Ipswich hospital I believe we have to have to have proof of 3 hours of paid parking (£9) then you could get a weeks pass for £5. Again its not advertised but always wirth asking about.

Hope she gets better soon.
And they allow the use of mobile phones now. Just have to keep them on silent to avoid disturbing anyone. This is also allowed in several other hospitals I've visited in the recent past.
Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts