Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime we get a plumber round they recommend a new boiler (our current boiler less than 10 years old :rolleyes:) ... the ball pack figure they always seem to quote is about 4k ... looking on the interweb a boiler by itself only costs about 1k ... surely 3k in labour is a bit excessive??? or am I missing something ...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
everytime we get a plumber round they recommend a new boiler (our current boiler less than 10 years old :rolleyes:) ... the ball pack figure they always seem to quote is about 4k ... looking on the interweb a boiler by itself only costs about 1k ... surely 3k in labour is a bit excessive??? or am I missing something ...
You should be able to get one fitted around the £2-2.5k mark, thats what our plumbers normally charge if its a straight swap without too much re-piping.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to get one fitted around the £2-2.5k mark, thats what our plumbers normally charge if its a straight swap without too much re-piping.

That seems like a more reasonable amount ...

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Ours came in at around £2.5 not that I paid that, but that's what the plumber told me he'd charged my landlord :D

We had British gas in and their all singing all dancing quote came in at nearly £8.5k :wow:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as a matter of interest ... how many long does it realistically take?

Ours came in at around £2.5 not that I paid that, but that's what the plumber told me he'd charged my landlord :D

We had British gas in and their all singing all dancing quote came in at nearly £8.5k :wow:

One of the plumbers who came round recently was from british gas ... I think they are told to say 4k

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To top it all the last one to come round said it would save us £200 a year ... he wasn't that happy when I pointed out it would take 20 years to recoup the 4k at that rate ...

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
The British Gas guy that came round already knew his quote wan't going to be competitive, as it was a health and saftey rule that meant they couldn't work off my flat garage roof on ladders to do the flu, they would need a scaffold and that meant a £600 charge before work even started.

He was a decent enough bloke and didn't give any hard sell :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Chris we had a whole new heating system fitted fro around 4k. When we moved in the house had a back boiler in the fireplace. To remove that fit new boiler( it is a presurised system with tank and combi boiler all in one unit all hidden in the loft), do all new pipe work in the loft, run new pipework in new bathroom and sort all the vents out, check all the old stuff to make sure it was up to scratch and fit a shower. The boiler was about 1500 so thats 2.5 for all that pipework and stuff. I'd say your lot are having you on mate

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
To top it all the last one to come round said it would save us £200 a year ... he wasn't that happy when I pointed out it would take 20 years to recoup the 4k at that rate ...
But you missed out Chris...The new boiler wont last anywhere near that long.

Pomeo

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris we had a whole new heating system fitted fro around 4k. When we moved in the house had a back boiler in the fireplace. To remove that fit new boiler( it is a presurised system with tank and combi boiler all in one unit all hidden in the loft), do all new pipe work in the loft, run new pipework in new bathroom and sort all the vents out, check all the old stuff to make sure it was up to scratch and fit a shower. The boiler was about 1500 so thats 2.5 for all that pipework and stuff. I'd say your lot are having you on mate
Exactly, they're looking at the amount I'm spending on the extension (about 70k ish) and thinking they'd like a bit more of that ... in fact the last guy said, "with the amount you're spending this won't make much difference" :mad:

But you missed out Chris...The new boiler wont last anywhere near that long.

Pomeo
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
My mum was told that she should buy a new boiler 10 years ago.

If she had of done then it would have needed replacing again by now.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Exactly, they're looking at the amount I'm spending on the extension (about 70k ish) and thinking they'd like a bit more of that ... in fact the last guy said, "with the amount you're spending this won't make much difference" :mad:!!
Unbelievable :rolleyes: still got to admire him for being so blod :lol:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Just as a matter of interest ... how many long does it realistically take?
Boiler swap should realistically take 2 days max as long as it straightforward, can be done in a day if its like for like boiler with all connections the same - it rarely is this simple though.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
"Oh dear" ..... the 'engineer' said as he sucked his teeth and shook his head
in disbelief... "These Potterten Neataheats were very good in their day - but it'll need replacing".

I asked him why.... "It's kettling" he said " and won't be very efficient and is likely to fail this winter"

I ignored him... and 12 years later the boiler is still working just fine.

My Neighbour (at the time) has had 2 new one's fitted.

Money for old rope :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
We got a new one last summer replacing a worcestor bosch one that was illeglly installed (double sleeved flu to extend the length so it would go through a wall, on investigation the sleeved bit has rusted away completely, engineer had to sweep it out with a brush)

British gas came and wanted around 4 to 5 grand for a new one puttin in the same location, a local gas safe installer fitted a baxi duoflow (which magazine best buy) in a different location and had to pipe it up to the first floor heating pipes taking up the floorboards in a room to run new pipes, also took a day to cut a new hole theough the wall for the new flu. 5 days, at least 4 men including subcontractors on flooring and masonry work and it cost £2200 for all the work doing.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I wouldn't replace a boiler until it breaks. As previously mentioned by others, you will never recoup the cost, no matter how efficient the new one is. Last time I tried to get a boiler swapped, they wanted to replace all the gas inlet pipe as the old type was an 'illegal' diameter due to efficiency laws. Quoted price was £3500 to fit a boiler available online for £1200. I left it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts