Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the chipex kit a few weeks ago and only just got round to giving it a go, I wanted to post the results for everyone to see just how impressive these kits are. I think we should all post our before and after pics too :)

I concentrated on two points on my car for before and after results....

This is the kit as it comes..

Paintbrushes, gloves, microfibre cloth, blending cloth, paint, blending solution and polish.

So here is the worst part of my car, just on the rear bumper behind the rear wheel where the car had been scuffed down to the black plastic of the bumper.

Here is the other part, a very deep chip in the front bonnet. I thought this would be an excellent test for the Chipex kit as its the deepest chip and right down to the metal.

I will add that it is imperative that you thoroughly clean the areas you are going to work on before you start.

Step 1. - So on the rear arch, liberally apply the paint and then smudge it to a thin layer using your finger in the glove supplied.

Then you leave this to dry which takes between 40 seconds and 5 minutes depending on the amount of paint used and temperature.

Step 2. Then out comes the blending solution, which you put on the cloth supplied and rub very gently over the treatment area.

After my first attempt this is what I ended up with....

Now as you can see there is still an area which is not totally covered.

Repeat steps 1 and 2,

Then I get this

Still better but not quite there so I did steps 1 and 2 again.. and result!

Huge improvement, only if you look very closely can you see where the original blemishes were.

Step 3 , uses the polish which seems to be slightly abrasive and you only need a very small amount over the area to finish...

It leaves a haze when dry (this is where my car had been keyed)

Then you just wipe off the polish with the other side of the microfibre cloth...

Here is the final image of the bonnet area as shown pre treatment above

:D

Only in artificial light can you see this now (which my car park has haha)

Overally I am well chuffed with the results and highly recommend this kit to all our site members.

I will say however, that if you have large areas and you are concerned that the chipex kit may not help, email [email protected] with images of the area and they will get straight back to you.

www.chipex.co.uk

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is another repair... several chips and marks just in front of the drivers side rear arch.

Before

I will say that you can get carried away, but it is well worth it as the end results are superb.

Next weekend I am going to do the other side of the car and start to attack the front bumper. :)

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heard good stuff about Chipex before, some nice results you got their, how much does the kit cost ?
It's £49.99 but there is sometimes a discount on here, usually 10%....
As I said in the post above, in daylight you really can't see the areas where they have been repaired, only if you look closely in artificial light can you see the repair.

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
That looks great Joe :thumbs:
Katy bought me a kit for the 159 to get rid of the stone chips on the bonnet just been a bit nervous to use it this has encouraged me to give it a go :thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's £49.99 but there is sometimes a discount on here, usually 10%....
As I said in the post above, in daylight you really can't see the areas where they have been repaired, only if you look closely in artificial light can you see the repair.
Cheers for that, and for taking the time to post up such a great review :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have a fir bit of 'Bumper Rash' which seems to be a bit trickier to eradicate. However I'll just keep building it up and see how it goes. Run out of step 2 solution alas (it leaked . . . .) so I'll need to get some more

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a fir bit of 'Bumper Rash' which seems to be a bit trickier to eradicate. However I'll just keep building it up and see how it goes. Run out of step 2 solution alas (it leaked . . . .) so I'll need to get some more
Yes this is the thing that isn't in the instructions, I needed 3 coats on the rear arch to get it right. :)

You can just apply it with your gloves if it's a large area.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I'm a big fan of this stuff Joe. You've done a cracking job too:D

You are so lucky to have dry warmish parking too:cool:

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe me Simon its the first time in ages I haven't had to take the car out in the wind and rain so my first opportunity to have a go at it. Honestly though, there are hundreds of other marks I've found which I will tackle next week hopefully. :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
This stuff seems amazing but also worries me. A lot of modern paints have a clear lacquer finish and I am worried that this is a bit too abrasive and could damage that leading to bigger problems in the longer term.

Does anyone know how durable the finish is; not just the immediate initial damage but the surrounding area?

What is it like in 6 months, 12 months, 2 years etc?

I have a few very small chips on my wife's 159 and some larger scratches on my son's 147 that I would like to do if this is a relatively durable repair.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wipes off the surrounding area leaving no residue (that's what the blending solution removes, so you don't end up painting on top of the clear coat/lacquer. I can't say how durable it is, but the paint hardens after about an hour and it does seem very tough.

Unfortunately I didn't document the scratch very well above, but I had a 20cm scratch in my rear quarter which was quite deep at one end and only lightly scuffing the lacquer at the other. This stuff removed/hid it completely.

So there is no questiong regarding the surrounding area. To be honest you could throw the pot of paint over the car (not recommended :lol: ) and I am sure the solution would bring it all off very quickly.

The polish seems a little abrasive but no where near as much as T-cut.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a kit for mine sat under my desk in work. Need to speak to my detailer though as the car had a few coatings of Swissvax about 6 months ago and I imagine that needs to be removed before giving it a go.
Yup all wax and protection needs to be removed then reapplied after.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
111 Posts
This stuff seems amazing but also worries me. A lot of modern paints have a clear lacquer finish and I am worried that this is a bit too abrasive and could damage that leading to bigger problems in the longer term.

Does anyone know how durable the finish is; not just the immediate initial damage but the surrounding area?

What is it like in 6 months, 12 months, 2 years etc?

I have a few very small chips on my wife's 159 and some larger scratches on my son's 147 that I would like to do if this is a relatively durable repair.
Hi there, in reply to your message the Chipex paint paint does not in any way harm the exisitng paint work and also has a speical clearcoat lacquer within the paint itself so as to give a hard and permanent repair. The product has also just received TUV Certification from the German testing agency as to its effectiveness. Sould you have any questions please do not hesiate to either post a message or get in touch on 01295-258308.

·
111 Posts
I've got a kit for mine sat under my desk in work. Need to speak to my detailer though as the car had a few coatings of Swissvax about 6 months ago and I imagine that needs to be removed before giving it a go.
You will need to remove the was from the chipped area as the paint does not adhere well to a wx surface. You can use either an alcohol wipe (IPA), white spirit or the Blending solution to remove this.

·
111 Posts
Hi there, we get an exact colour match by having painters that are very precise in the mixing of the colours to the original formulation code and also by making sure that we make enough paint to cover all the various levels of tinter colours required. We do Garuntee our colour match so that customers can order in confidence.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts