Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the sound is in.

There's a bit of vibration under load, but its no louder <3k RPM which is fantastic - it may just me, but it even sounds a little less boomy - yet its got more of a rasp at the top end, which is what it lacked before.

I'll need a bit more testing, but all in, seems great so far.

For comparison, the noise with the cats is here, although bear in mind the exhaust was brand new at this point, and not bedded in:

Clicky

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Sounds more grumblie, I like it.

Which cats did you remove?

Noticed any power gains?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
That sounds really good, I was mailing mark about it and he said he thought it would have a very noticeable increase in volume but considering you have the same cat back setup as me it does sound really good that, had you let it warm up before doing the vid?

As GTA Jim said, have you noticed any difference in response or changes to the power delivery?

I've discussed Gus's equal length downpipes with t'other 'alf and she said it would only be fair if she could have a Mulberry Handbag as well, so I think i'll be waiting a while for the front pipes but I think i'll go for the decat, it's not a lot of money and if I don't like it I'm sure I can sell it on here.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers.

Increase in power? Doesn't seem to be, didn't really expect any. It does feel a little more free-revving, though, which is something I wanted to achieve, so its all good.

As I say, its not a huge increase in volume, I was suprised when they fired it up in the garage that it sounded identical to how it was before. I was only when he gave it some beans that it was noticable. Anything less than 3k and its no louder, which is ideal.

And yeah, it was up to temp :) Cold revving = bad.

Rigsby, removed the two main cats. I'd like to replace the manifold, but its not worth the insane cost and/or effort.

·
Registered
651 Posts
matt did you have the cats cut out and piece's welded in, or a complete fabricated decat pipe.

thinking of doing the same to my v6, keep us posted on how its running and if you get any warning lights etc...................still lovin the vid mate:thumbs:

is the 147 gta euro 3??

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Edward - lambda sensors were put back into the decat section, the decat pipe had pre-drilled/set holes.

Rigsby - it was a frabricated pipe from Mark Y on here, its a Scorpion item. Fit wasn't ideal, but we got there in the end. Will let you know if I get any lights.

GTA is Euro3, yes, so I've still got the pre-cats in the manifold....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought you were off out to do a drive by :rant: :lol:
I will this weekend, didn't get a chance on Sunday. TBH there's a bit of a rattle to it, I think its catching on the bodywork which ruins the noise.

I undecided again now though - between jobs at work I went out for a blast, and I don't think the sound suits the car. If I was stripping the car out, or going for a track spec, it'd suit it, but the extra volume and "harshness" to the exhaust note goes against the refined, almost GT-nature of the car. It a racer-ish note, not a classy note.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Jesus your worse than a woman :p

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I will this weekend, didn't get a chance on Sunday. TBH there's a bit of a rattle to it, I think its catching on the bodywork which ruins the noise.

I undecided again now though - between jobs at work I went out for a blast, and I don't think the sound suits the car. If I was stripping the car out, or going for a track spec, it'd suit it, but the extra volume and "harshness" to the exhaust note goes against the refined, almost GT-nature of the car. It a racer-ish note, not a classy note.
Hmmm, might hold off till I hear the drive by then, that's not the noise I want at all. Might stick the money against the equal length dopwnpipes fund. :lol:

·
Registered
642 Posts

It does sound good, I felt the same after doing the exhaust work on mine though but I got used to it and now enjoy the sound just as much as before. I just wish there was some way of turning the volume down for when I'm not on a hoon or just don't want to attract attention.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
It does sound good, I felt the same after doing the exhaust work on mine though but I got used to it and now enjoy the sound just as much as before. I just wish there was some way of turning the volume down for when I'm not on a hoon or just don't want to attract attention.
Didnt you go to Haywood & Scott? Have you posted a vid of yours? :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts