Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've seen a few threads on this subject.

I thought that I may as well ask the question.

How much does replacing the 1st and second gear problems cost?

I am guessing that they would be around the £1000 mark.

At the moment, I am feeling great with the GQV we recently bought, but my other half seems to be having problems with these gears. I think our difference in strength may not help the situation, as I am very firm with the gearbox "you WILL change gear!".

We currently have a £500 RAC Platinum warranty against the car from purchase, and to be honest, it seems to be the only possible issue we can see so far from the car. The rest of it seems fine. :confused:

Lets assume that this problem is real, and the gears do need sorting eventually, what is the state of affairs?

- Does the repair actually fix the car?
- Or does it just reset the problem until next time?
- Does anyone have any ideas on average costs for this fix?

Other threads seem to only get so far down the line and stop at any discussion of costs or if this actually fixed the problem. :rant:

I assume that even though we do have the Platinum RAC cover that they will just claim it as 'wear and tear' and reject the request, so I'm going to assume they will absorb none of the costs.

The furthest I got with researching it was this thread:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...e-dreaded-m32-gearbox-fitted.html#post8699665

as well as about 10 helpful posts in this 24 page thread:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/245363-giulietta-gearbox-woes.html
Mostly of people saying "My Giulietta gearbox is broken!" followed by "My Giulietta gearbox is fixed!", with absolutely nothing revealed in between except for RRZ's posts. :lol:

Makes sense I suppose, most of them were still in warranty, so I would not expect most of the posters to know any details.

Interestingly, the car spent most of its servicing life at Mangoletsi, and has had one owner from new. I am not sure if I should be annoyed that the lady on the service desk, who I asked about the gearbox synchro problems immediately knew the cost of the labour seemingly off the top of her head. Clearly this is a regular problem and no one has still thought after all these years to issue a recall for this dreadful issue. Even worse if they seemingly fixed it after 2011 and still couldn't be bothered sorting the earlier cars. :smash:

Anyone want to offer some second and third generation owners some help... pretty please? :p:biglaugh::biglaugh:

As I said, I'm alright for the moment, but I'm trying to gather some information for probably next year when the gearbox will just surrender; and I've filtered out the people who say "Yes David, my gearbox was broken, but now it is fixed! :D". I jest. :p

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I don't think the problem necessary gets worse - unless the gearbox gets abused in frustration.

I was effectively given £1K to fix mine but in the end simply changed the gear oil to Castrol which pretty much provided a 90% fix (although it will never be 100%). I think I was possibly the first to do this and you'll find many threads of others that have done the same.

It's also of course a rather nice felling to be able to pocket the change!

That was about two years ago and the gearbox is beautifully slick in all main gears with only very occasional baulking when selecting first.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the problem necessary gets worse - unless the gearbox gets abused in frustration.

I was effectively given £1K to fix mine but in the end simply changed the gear oil to Castrol which pretty much provided a 90% fix (although it will never be 100%). I think I was possibly the first to do this and you'll find many threads of others that have done the same.

It's also of course a rather nice felling to be able to pocket the change!

That was about two years ago and the gearbox is beautifully slick in all main gears with only very occasional baulking when selecting first.

Ah! Thanks for that further information.

Is this the Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w-90 listed in the other thread? I assume it is.

I think we could try that as a first port of call.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W is another option. There is no guarantee that an oil change will help, or that your problem won't get worse with time. I think Zoo may not have good news for you, I've read some of his posts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts