Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tomorrow we are promised a "Green Budget" I wonder what that could mean?

If the Government hadn't wasted all of the tax that it had already taken from us there would be no need to screw us all over again. He and Brown have cocked up on a monumental scale, and now the people are expected to pay again.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,313 Posts

·
16,313 Posts
In a similar vein........

A father is in a restaurant with his son. The young man is demonstrating
how he can catch a pound coin with his mouth after flipping it in the air.

Suddenly, he starts choking, going blue in the face. The dad realises he
has swallowed the coin and starts panicking, shouting for help.

A well dressed, attractive, but serious-looking woman in a blue business
suit is sitting at a coffee bar in the mall, reading her newspaper and
sipping a cup of coffee.

At the sound of the commotion, she looks up, puts her coffee cup down on
the saucer, neatly folds the newspaper and places it on the counter, gets up
from her seat and makes her way, unhurried, across the mall.

Reaching the young man, the woman carefully unzips his pants takes hold
of his testicles and starts to squeeze, gently at first and then more
firmly.

After a few seconds he convulses violently and coughs up the pound coin,
which the woman deftly catches in her free hand.

Releasing the lad, the woman hands the coin to the father and walks back
to her seat in the coffee bar without saying a word.

As soon as he is sure that his son has suffered no lasting ill effects,
the father rushes over to the woman and starts thanking her saying, 'I've
never seen anybody do anything like that before, it was fantastic. Are you a
doctor ?'

'No' she replies, 'I work for the Inland Revenue.'

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I worry about running a car that produces 212 thingies of Co2/mile.:(

·
Registered
37,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost wish that could happen. Unfortunately apathy rules.
Apathy doesn't rule for me. I would gladly arrange some form of "protest" if enough like minded individuals would like to join me.

Remember the poll tax riots? Apathy didn't rule then. We are being screwed just the same, only in a different way.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Apathy doesn't rule for me. I would gladly arrange some form of "protest" if enough like minded individuals would like to join me.
Likewise.

No-one seems to want to make a stand any more. What the Hell did our grandparents fight wars for?

The future belongs to those of us who are willing to get their hands dirty.

E

·
0 Posts
It seems as though now petrol has reached and passed the magic £1/L they are not afraid to whack up duty, I heard a 2p rise may be put off but only for 6 months.

Apparently gas guzzlers will get a hike in tax, which I just detest and not just because I own a GTA. It is packaged up as caring for the environment and being green but where is this money actually going???

Yes I drive what would be classed a gas guzzler but I am not made of money, only drive <6000 miles a year and my car is my one real bit of fun.

·
Registered
37,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know how you feel Eddie, my car is my only bit of fun as well... Maybe I will have to take up another pass time to get my kicks. How about illegal drugs? :D

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Yep anyone with a V6 is now well and truely buggered, will probably stuff the 2.0. The government has now effectively made these cars worthless, it was difficult enough selling a GTA but now, almost impossible.

I would seriously be up for a protest on this, the government has over stepped the mark on this, likely to see an huge increase in untaxed vehicles, and numberplate theft etc. Oh and not forgetting the massive hike in NI for anyone paying 40% tax. Yep this government has yet again piled more pressure on the middle classes yet still proceeds to allow themselves to raid the coffers, pay their family salaries and claim expenses unchecked.

I think the country will reach a tipping point soon when people say enough is enough. The government needs to be innovative not just hammer the same people over and over if they're serious about improving the environment.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Yes I drive what would be classed a gas guzzler but I am not made of money, only drive <6000 miles a year and my car is my one real bit of fun.
Likewise.

I reckon my 5000 miles per annum at 287 g/km works out at 2.3 tonnes of CO2.

About what a Toyota Pious chucks out in 13800 miles.

Not far off what car dealers will have you believe is 'average' mileage per year.

So who's really F***ing up the planet?

·
16,313 Posts
Y

I think the country will reach a tipping point soon when people say enough is enough. The government needs to be innovative not just hammer the same people over and over if they're serious about improving the environment.
Seems to me that we have been at breaking point for a long time now but we just keep going on going on. I have been hit again like, I suspect, the majority of people on here. My income is fairly fixed, a MoD pension which rises but ever so slowly and my investments on which the interest rates drops on an almost daily basis whereas my outgoings just for standing still rise on an almost daily basis. How long can this go on before I cave in and depart for pastures new ?

Don't want to start a heated debate here about interest rates but just as an example :- bought my first house in 1982 and paid 17% interest. Now my investments generate about 5%. Seems I am always going to be on the wrong side of the equation.:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts