Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wheat intolerant (one of the many things I've grown intolerant of over time :lol:) so I've had to give up bread, pizza, pasta etc. etc. - loads of things made from wheat flour. Well, to be fair, what I have to do now is find alternatives. I make my own dough for bread and pizza and I buy pasta made from rice, believe it or not!

I have tried many gluten free breads and they are either terrible or really expensive, so I've been making different breads using my bread machine. The gluten free bread flour and bread mixes are, quite frankly, bogging :vomit: They ask you to put vinegar into the mix and it just makes the bread taste sour :(

My favourite bread, so far, is spelt bread. Spelt is an old relation to wheat (popular in Roman times apparently), but lower in gluten and I can stomach it. Plus the bread tastes great. If you have a bread machine try my recipe :thumbs:

500g of spelt flour (widely available in supermarkets)
3 tbsp oil
1½ cups luke warm water
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp sugar
1 dssp yeast

Put the lot in a bread machine on the dough setting (I always put the liquids in first and then the flour, salt, sugar and the yeast last).

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/GM 6. Put the dough into a lined 2lb loaf tin (this makes it easier to remove the loaf) and bake for 35 mins :thumbs:

I've never tried just baking it in the bread machine. This is faster and I get fab results every time :D

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No response :lol: but it's ok, early days ;) I'm sure there are some breadmakers out there! My loaf has just finished baking. That's an hour and a half in the breadmaker and 35 mins in the oven :D

Piccies to follow, whether you like it or not :cool:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Very :cool: PG

My Mum is wheat-intolerant, so I have become a bit more aware of some of the substitutes (and, frankly, just how disgusting some of them are). In fact I have literally just come away from placing an order for a wheat-free hamper for her birthday on Wednesday. To be fair, it's mainly chocolate:lol:

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Mum is a coeliac and on a totally gluten free diet so even this
recipe would not help :( The bread she has is cack and has to be
toasted.
I do have a recipe for rye bread :thumbs: It's a bit heavier, but still nicer than shop bought stuff, some of which you build houses from :eek: I'll hunt it out Gibbo.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very :cool: PG

My Mum is wheat-intolerant, so I have become a bit more aware of some of the substitutes (and, frankly, just how disgusting some of them are). In fact I have literally just come away from placing an order for a wheat-free hamper for her birthday on Wednesday. To be fair, it's mainly chocolate:lol:
It's Mr PG that's struggling with this. He gets almost annoyed with me that I can't have wheat, mainly because he thinks it will narrow our choices when eating out. We had this conversation last night. I pointed out that it really doesn't bother me. If I can't eat wheat, I can't eat wheat and in many ways it's easier now that I know because before I would eat wheat products and suffer the consequences! We love Italian food, but I can still ave risotto and melanzane, my favourite dishes anyway :)

He went out the other day and was stumped by what to buy me as a treat because he would normally buy me Maltesers. I did point out that there were as many sweets without wheat than with :lol: There goes a man of unbreakable habits!

V

·
0 Posts
It's a funny thing but as time has gone on, I feel I might be wheat intolerant to some degree. Without going into too much gory detail, can anyone enlighten me as to the main symptoms?

V

·
0 Posts
They're big scary buggers, aren't they? My ex has a field backing onto her garden and the cats have nearly been mashed a couple of times. My own irrational fear of them was dispelled though, when one of them hit a big rock nearby and had to stop to sort it. We shared a cuppa with the driver, he seemed a nice chap.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a funny thing but as time has gone on, I feel I might be wheat intolerant to some degree. Without going into too much gory detail, can anyone enlighten me as to the main symptoms?
For me I immediately bloat up. It's almost painful. I had a pizza when I was still in the sussing it out stage and I felt sick within a few minutes of having it. Sandwiches have always made me feel uncomfortable, sort of sitting in my gullet for ages. Not sure about other people, but the best way I've heard it described is as kryptonite! It's as if your strength has been zapped :(

I make sourdough bread - no added yeast, it's just flour and water.
Yes, me too - it's brilliant made with spelt!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts