Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, car gets back from MOT (finally). This morning, I drive (gently) over the nearest speed bump and .... light scraping noise. I pull over, peer under the car and (excuse the use of detailed technical details here...) the plastic base thingy is hanging down..... circa mid-car.

Its the beginning of a bank holiday weekend and the garage is shut til Tuesday!!!

Now, either Spidie is playing up something rotten having hit 10... or the garage messed up after fixing the exhaust support bracket. Since I have no easy / convenient way of checking this out short-term can someone more used to staring at the underside of a Spider give me a bit more detail on what might have happened?

J

H

·
0 Posts
You undertray is hanging down now? Best get someone to take it off, if it's kaput.:):

toffeegirl.....join the club, as far as i can tell most undertays are either removed, strapped up with cable ties (or something similar) or replaced with an aftermarket aluminium version.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Armed with the correct terminology I've done a forum search and have now caught up with everyone else's experiences with their 'plastic base thingies' and feel less alarmed.

Thanks for your help.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car was fixed yesterday afternoon at my very local 3-man garage.

(Failed to find a kerb high enough to allow me to crawl under the car and still be able to move my arms!!)

Minimum labour charge £15 ...... so cost to me £15. They reckon if it comes off again, I'll need a new one.....

What next.....?!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Either remove it or buy an aftermarket aluminium one

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
toffeegirl.....join the club, as far as i can tell most undertays are either removed, strapped up with cable ties (or something similar) or replaced with an aftermarket aluminium version.
+1 for cable ties ... :thumbs: ... had about 5000 holding my undertray and wheel arch liners together :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any ideas about where one may find an aftermarket ally one? I have made up some inserts for my GTV undertray from steel - the plastic having rotted/been smashed away so it is good at the moment, but I also found that one of the mounting points had pretty much dissapeared too. I had to bodge that back together by putting a bolt through the original mount hole with a washer on the top and then tightening up a nut from below. Of course I couldn't tighten the nut properly so it is bound to just fall off.

I realise now that this is unintelligable. I will press Post anyway...

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Any ideas about where one may find an aftermarket ally one? I have made up some inserts for my GTV undertray from steel - the plastic having rotted/been smashed away so it is good at the moment, but I also found that one of the mounting points had pretty much dissapeared too. I had to bodge that back together by putting a bolt through the original mount hole with a washer on the top and then tightening up a nut from below. Of course I couldn't tighten the nut properly so it is bound to just fall off.

I realise now that this is unintelligable. I will press Post anyway...
Zeatek in Denmark are the main supplier. They supply Autodelta.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll pm you the guys email address.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Interesting, I think I saw those somewhere before...

They don't seem to have a GTV guard on the site - IIRC they are £120+

I have to start saving for a cambelt change and tax :( Think I will have to make do with my bodge until I'm rich and famous :p

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi - I just took mine off and donated it to the skip!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just quite like the idea of the first thing hitting the road on my car being a piece of plastic rather than my exhaust manifold/sump. Reminds me to take it a bit easier next time :) Also stones pinging up from the wheels.

It's a good thing to have but not if it just flops around all day scraping off everything. Mine is pretty well placed at the moment - at least until the next oil change...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mines got half a pack of cable ties holding it up now! Definitely keeping it on as long as possible tho. Changed the front pipe on the exhaust th eother day and couldn't believe how clean it all was, not to mention how easy the non-corroded bolts cam out!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I think the V6's never had them, so I wouldn't worry about it, if you did pull it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts