Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, seeing as its almost time, I'd like to start a discussion about the Big Z, what to look out for, what's a good beginer's time, what not to do and how to prepare, what checks to do with the car before going onto the track, how to behave while on the track with other cars etc.

Also...why are there no BIG Z stickers on the back of cars that have been on the BiG Z??? That would surely be nice?

Check this aerial view...looks daunting, esp those two long right handers.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Let me try answering some of these.
1) Lap time. Between 1m40 and 1m30 is where in my experience people start off with.
2) Brakes. Check the cars brakes. Change brake fluid. If its a year old change it. I now its a pain but I'd rather have them than speed.
3) Watch your mirrors. Thees always a faster car than yours and it will come pass you. Stay on the racing line and don't change it. The rule at track day are you are not allowed to pass in corners. Indicate to the faster driver which side to pass if possible.
4) As for the stickers best is to talk to Zwartkops owners and make the suggestion. They may just go for it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hhhm, what kind of brake fluid is needed for my 330mm brakes?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sharing Lance's Enthusiam for Z-Day

Safety Equipment Question:

What personal safety equipment is required? Any suggestions on helmets and where to buy, etc?

Disclaimer- I lost all of my personal possessions via shipping truck hijack, so will need to replace helmet, etc.

Disclaimer 2- I'm going to driving Bumblebee for the first time on a track (with a high bhp level in an old Sprint GT) and will eventually be driving the drum-braked TwinSparked SZ(A)...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
What not to do and how to prepare
Do not run low tire pressures - that will make your tires overheat and they will blister off :tut: Keep to your specification in your booklet.

As mentioned bleed your brake fluid and make sure your oil and water is topped up.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Safety Equipment Question:

What personal safety equipment is required? Any suggestions on helmets and where to buy, etc?
Helmets for all occupants in the car going around the track are the only real MANDATORY piece of safety equipment needed. Most will suggest to have long sleeved clothing and a fire extinguisher is also recommended.
Best place to buy helmets are at bike shops like World of Accessories. If you want car helmets - ATS (Gordon off-ramp N1 - Roodepoort) or First Race (Autoquip Selby JHB city) have decent selections.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thing to remember. It is only a track day. Be safe but don't break the bank for a track day. The brake fluid I use is Shell Dot 4. This is good enough to last you 8 laps at a time. If you run 8 laps come in for a while and have a rest think about your time on the circuit then try again. This way you don't over extend your car and will most likely be quicker. If there is something that's near to braking point on your car its going to brake on the track or soon after. Driving on a track works the car extremely hard.
Safety equipment is personal. It depends on what you are prepared to spend. A good helmet is a must. Race overall is not mandatory for track days. Long sleeve shirt and long pants and helmet are. If you have a racing suite, glove, racing shoes, wear it. even if you look stupid prancing around in it. :) You can get helmets from ATC, Auto Quip, or any good bike shop.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
OK , I'm just gonna repeat what was given to me by a peer before tracking my car for the first time, take your tyre presures up by 0.5 from what is recomended from manufacturer eg. 2.7 front, 2.3 rear becomes 3.2front, 2.8 rear, that is a safe compromise for track use , check all fluid levels to be correct, check that all wheel nuts are tight , dont bother changing brake fluid etc, just make sure all is well with brake pad wear etc.
personal clothing: be sure u wear cotton clothing , jeans and a t-shirt like long sleeve top is great, wear comfortable shoes, NO BOOTS, CHURCH SHOES ETC. try wear rubber soled takkies or the like .as for a helmet, an open face ats helmet is about R750 and will be more than sufficient even for the first year of racing ,so if u a blooming schumacer, buy one.Hilton at ATS is an ARCSA club member and will look after u.
NOW the part no one looks at!!!!DRIVING POSITION,I dont care how u like driving on the road, on track u make sure u adjust your seat so the back rest is only 5 degrees from straight upright and move the seat forward to the point that your legs are bent even when fully depressing the clutch or brake and that u can cross your arms while turning with hands on 10 and 2 , believe it or not this position will gain u 2 seconds as a beginner. also while in driving position click the seat back about 2 clicks and then rip the seat beltforward abruptly to activate the limiter, then move the seat forward the two clicks, this will make the seatbelt act as a harness where it is in a permanent position holding u snugly in place,
Iknow these things sound weird, but one of the most important parts of getting on track for the first time is feeling safe, and these things allow that to happen.
Also we are all there to have fun and go home safely, so as some others have stated , there is no overtaking except on the 2 straights and we all try and be curtious, also there is a beginner and fast road class so if u new, enter the begginer group.
To re-iterate what some have said , always remember SLOW IN fast out, dont overcook it on turn in !
Also the dangerious corners on the Z are not the ones u think, they are turn 1, turn 4 and the last corner into the pit straight, all the others have enough run off if u get it wrong, so in short, be safe but have a blast, also if u new, I will be more than willing to go shotgun on the day with anyone that needs help, Im not the perfect instructor but I know the track and am very conservative, so I will be able to get u through safely and comfortably without stress.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
+1 on Frosts great write up.

Most important, tyre pressures.
If you change brake fluid use dot 5, it can handle more heat and the fwds came out with it.
Brake pads that are worn thinish transfer more heat to the brake fluid and often don't last long on track.

Search somewhere on the forum is a great race driving technique description, from I think BMW club.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
+1 and do not attempt impressing someone, do not attempt keeping up with someone, let the small cars pass you you have nothing to prove, remove all loose lying objects from your car, look in your mirrors but concentrate on what’s happening in-front of you as long as you keep to the line the person behind you will look after himself. But if you notice a faster car let him pass in a safe place.

Guili do not switch the electronic bits like traction control and other things off normal D is perfect the super duper D will see you falling off the track. The first time out it might even be a good idea to stay out of D all together until you get a feeling for the track.

I am no racing driver and my lap times are poor but I enjoy it a lot and that’s what its all about.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep no worries guys I'm not windgat at all:cheese:

I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can, Im really excited about this..

My plan is to have the dashcommand working on my iPad mounted to my dash(somehow) for the trackday, that way I can compare all my laptimes and my braking and accelerating afterwards!

I'll stay in D...N is way too non-responsive.

Another question, should I have a half tank of fuel?
Windows open or closed?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Another question, should I have a half tank of fuel?
Windows open or closed?
Tank quarter full by the time you arrive at Z - if you drive A LOT on the day you'll do 120km. (That is 5 sessions of 10 laps (15min) @ 2.4km/lap).

Drive with the windows 1/4 open to allow some airflow, but not buffeting. Switch the aircon / fan off completely.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Listen to Gertie going below 1:20 lap-times with a close to stock SW takes some doing no matter what anyone tells you. He knows his stuff:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Look out for Eben (ysman) in his GTA :cheese:
I say mos, we must have a GTA lap. ;)

Buy a helmet from pawn shop if your not fuzzy or borrow mine.
In the worst case, you can put on your Speedo swimmers cap first, then the Pawn Helmet... :cheese:

+1 and do not attempt impressing someone, do not attempt keeping up with someone, let the small cars pass you you have nothing to prove, remove all loose lying objects from your car, look in your mirrors but concentrate on what’s happening in-front of you as long as you keep to the line the person behind you will look after himself. But if you notice a faster car let him pass in a safe place.

In other words: ''Pretend all those around you are taxi drivers around tjaila time.'' :lol:

Tank quarter full by the time you arrive at Z - if you drive A LOT on the day you'll do 120km. (That is 5 sessions of 10 laps (15min) @ 2.4km/lap).

If it's a Busso, a quarter tank is not enough.

Those who have the trip computer displaying oil temperature, use it! This could be a saver if you suddenly loose oil, and you don't notice the 'crop duster' smoke effect behind you, and still wondering why you are so fast and people can't catch you.... :thumbs:

All those with Go-Pro cameras must please bring them along for:
  1. Dash views
  2. Bonnet views
  3. Rear views
  4. and just below the indicator on the fender behind the front wheel view.

Please share this camera when you're in the pits?
In this way, we can compile a montage of action clips to share to members, and show the rest of the forums globally, how its done in Transvaal!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You have NO insurance cover on the track!! :tut: :tut: :tut:

So make way for the older battered cars....you never know :cheese:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:cheese:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts