Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The missus wants to start taking our daughter out on her bike so I need to get a bike rack.

My vote would be a roof rack and mount the bike on that, but she would find it difficult getting the bike up there. :(

The worst way I think is to get a rear mounted bike rack, which I'm not keen on as they have a habbit of scratching and the clasps will damage the rubbish boot seals. (How cr*p are they? Mine are are falling apart from light boot use). But cheap and easy.

The other option which I've seen a couple of times is a tow bar with a "plate" fixed to it which the bikes rest on, not touching the car. Expensive.

Any ideas boys and girls????

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Re: The best wreck my car!!

Tow Bar....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

because pillocks like me dont stop and destroy the front of my car without a scratch on yours :D :eek:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

GTLeigh said:
Tow Bar....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

because pillocks like me dont stop and destroy the front of my car without a scratch on yours :D :eek:

I know I know it's bad but I have to work it out some how. WWWAHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

I was slagging off tow bars the other day. :rant:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts

This is indeed a problem I wouldn't want to have. :rolleyes:

G

·
Roof rack is the best. Keep a wooden box in the boot so the missus can stand on it while she's putting the bike on the rack... :D

G

·
Don't get a boot mounted rack, they get grit in the straps and scratch the paint :mad: Roof mounted is the best imho...and you can still get in the boot :D

wrinx

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Good idea! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've tried both.

Roof - structurally it's better, for the car and the bikes. Useful tip, turn handlebars 90 degrees and you get more space. I've got the swagon, so rails are easy. Previous car I had to clamp bars on and this wrecked the paint every time exwife slipped as we put it on. Lifting bikes on and off wasn't a real problem for me (6'3"), but even so, I did stick a brake lever into the roof once. So, refused to put bikes on the bella's roof. What to do?

Back mount rack. I was actually given one of these carriers - not an Alfa shaped one, but it does fit very well. Hangs on straps from the back of the swagon roof bars, with a pair of dumbells on straps inside the boot and a pair of straps down to the tow bar mount (it's a removeable ball type). Fits the back of my car perfectly. As long as the car is clean (and I do wash it before using the rack) there is no damage. Can only get three bikes on, but since I no longer need to carry the wife's bike, no problem!

Long and short, I'd go for the rack on the back. Amazed that I'd write that, since I thought they were total cr*p until I tried one. I think what gets them a bad name is people who don't mount them tightly/sensibly.

PS Anyone interested in a) Alfa supplied tow bar, now off car ready to sell it. All fittings, wiring, instructions for fitting bar and electrics.

b) Alfa supplied roof bars for swagon. Used twice, unmarked.

Probably going to EBay them, but thought I should mention it.

John

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Get a sportwagon. My Cannondale fits in the back of that, no problem :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts