Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Genuine question.

I went for a run in the GTA earlier....shouldn't have bothered....every possible thing that could have ruined my journey did, from road works to gritters!

I met the gritter on an uphill stretch of carriageway, 70 limit.
It's three lanes, and the gritter was doing his thing in lane one. I pulled as far right in lane three as I could. There was traffic behind me, and I wasn't sure whether to slow down and risk both the front AND the side of the car, or floor it and just sacrifice the front. I opted to floor it, yet it still seemed like my poor GTA was being peppered by machine gun fire for an eternity. I pulled over at a garage and was shocked at the initial sight. Thankfully, a good wash has revealed just a few new chips to the bumper...the kind of thing you might pick up on a long motorway run (with idiots in Passats cutting you up and coating your car in stone chippings at the same time).

So, would you opt to drive slowly, or quickly past a gritter in that situation?

·
Registered
237 Posts
In the Alfa Im careful as the paint is as thin as it can be on a car ( noticed this on the MiTo I had as well ) so I would rip past as quick as I can closing my eyes and praying that the paintwork wont get chipped, in the Jag I dont mind and would just pass normally as the paint wont come off in a high wind like the Alfa seems to.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
On a 3 laner I normally wait until some unsuspecting person comes past in lane 2 and then go past in their "grit shadow" to minimize any impacts.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
On a 3 laner I normally wait until some unsuspecting person comes past in lane 2 and then go past in their "grit shadow" to minimize any impacts.
The Slipstream :D Good call

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the Alfa Im careful as the paint is as thin as it can be on a car ( noticed this on the MiTo I had as well ) so I would rip past as quick as I can closing my eyes and praying that the paintwork wont get chipped, in the Jag I dont mind and would just pass normally as the paint wont come off in a high wind like the Alfa seems to.
Seems we think the same way on this one Ray :thumbs:

A very good ploy Fred :thumbs:
Unfortunately, there were only a few cars on this stretch of road, and they were all behind me!
Odd really, as at every other point of my journey there were cars 'all' around me, spoiling my fun :rant:

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
:lol: Typical!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Slipstream :D Good call
Hi AJ :thumbs:

Ultimately, the best call for poor Bella seems to be for her to sit on the drive....with me polishing her more than driving her.:(

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Hi Sprackle :D

No, she wouldn't like that.

Is there a way on line to see what is getting gritted when?

Tht might be helpful?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Sprackle :D

No, she wouldn't like that.

Is there a way on line to see what is getting gritted when?

Tht might be helpful?
A good idea, but ultimately, I think I'll just stay away from main carriageways like that until the cold snap ceases. Also, I need to plan my use of her.....the best time for a nice clear drive is early on a Sunday morning for example.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Good point :)

You still have maude, I take it?

I only have Aphrodite, and can't plan my journeys sometimes :lol:

Though I'll admit to ensuring we go to pick up the new pup tomorrow in the Audi :eek:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point :)

You still have maude, I take it?

I only have Aphrodite, and can't plan my journeys sometimes :lol:

Though I'll admit to ensuring we go to pick up the new pup tomorrow in the Audi :eek:
Oh yes, old Maud is still doing her 'thang' :lol:

What kind of pup are you getting?

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
A staffy x Jack Russell :D She's five months and 'free to a good home'

Me and the hubs thought 'hey, we're good.' :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A staffy x Jack Russell :D She's five months and 'free to a good home'