Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you have owned maybe 2/3 or more 156's I want to know which one you feel is the best. I want to stick to just the petrol ones really. But not GTA.

I can see there are good + bad points for all but the 1.6!?

The v6 has the most power and a great sound but is the extra weight at the front end and the consumption of fuel a disadvantage?

The 2.0TS has enough power to be fun but does also drink petrol.

The 1.8TS might be a good balance of performance and econemy. But maybe lacks the fun the above can provide?

the 1.6TS I have no idea as have never been near one. enlighten me if you have one.

·
Vendor
46,121 Posts
Best 156 is definitely one with lots of aftermarket parts on it. Alfa did a great job designing and building the 156 but they missed a lot of the finer points.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
2 litre JTS Veloce Ti in Red:cool: If they did a facelift GTA it would be that:)

·
Registered
38,250 Posts
All TS engines tend to use similar amounts of fuel no matter what size they are, due to the smaller ones having to be worked harder. So you may as well go for the 2 litre. The V6 averages about 8mpg less, but is faster and sounds better, although as you say its a bit nose heavy.

The v6 is a more reliable engine but if it does break it will cost more to fix. the TS has the more reliable transmission. (V6's have been know to break diffs) although it is not as common on the 2.5 as it is on larger V6's, possibly due to their extra torque.

As an all rounder for daily use, a well looked after 2.0 TS Manual with a sportpack/veleoce pack takes some beating, but others will argue a case for the V6 due to the noise and straight line speed.

It also depends on how fat your wallet is. :)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
TS is better out of the box but V6 needs better suspension and brakes so is going to cost more to setup right.

The sound and feel of the V6 is much better than the TS but uses 20% more fuel. I think it really depends on your expected mileage but I wouldnt give up my V6 - with its Eibach Springs and Anti Roll bars and Bilstein dampers it is a great handling and fun car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had owned 1.6 veloce. To be honest thats the best and quick handling one due to low front end weight and a free revving engine. Moreover I never felt like i was in a 1.6 when i got passed the beemers. Oh yes.. GTA intake conversion is a must though...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have to say I have driven a 156 2.0 TSfor a few months, owned a 2.5v6 for 7 years from new, and a 156 GTA for around 5 months. Non of my cars are modified in any way and my 2.5 is not a sport pack.

Here is my conclusion:
1- The TS is def the liveliest to drive and a thrash is a must to get performance
2- 2.5 is bulletproof reliability wise. 180,000 km and no breakdowns. I actually love the softish suspension but when pushed hard, the suspension was a letdown. So instead of uprating my suspension, I bought a GTA.
3- GTA is.... OOOOOHHHH MMMYYYYY GOOOOOD

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had a 1.6 previously... it was a good car, but if I were in the market again I'd be tempted towards a 1.8 or 2.0. The difference in fuel consumption is supposed to be negligible, and there is little to choose reliability wise. The 1.6 always felt like it could do with a little more power, especially lower down the rev range.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I prefer the 1.8 over the 2.0 anyday. It's a better engine. more freereving and less to go wrong.

Also responds to tuning well :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts