Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has run hot ever since I got it last year! Anyways, I took the plunge and had the rad replaced today! Totally different car. The ambient temp today was 36deg C on the guage, the temp went up to a little over 90 from cold, then the stat opened and the guage fell to about 85 deg C. I then sat in traffic for about 20 minutes, and the guage stayed at 85. The fan was only on due to the AC being on. It was brilliant. Later a higher speed run along a dual carriageway, the guage sat at 85 deg C. The AC seems colder also. It used to be a bit feeble, but now it is lovely. When I got home, I popped the hood, usually a very scary experience. Today, warm but not sweltering!

Best fix ever. should have done it long ago. The Rad was £129 inc VAT and fully fitted and re-filled with very blue coolant was £199 all in! Brilliant. The garage charged an hour and a halfs labour and commented that the old rad was only obviously shot in the area behind the fan, and between the rad and the AC condensor! All the areas you can't easily see! Good design again Alfa!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Strange, they seem a little low but it could just be your guage/car.

I replaced the Rad in my V6 a couple of months ago, the old one was half rotted!!! Gauge hasn't gone higher than 92deg since...:D Feels nice and secure ;)

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My gauge says the same, ive recently replaced the rad, thermostat and temperature sender, about the only thing left is the gauge.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
A little bit of topic I know, but I had a kenlowe electric fan fitted to my MG last summer as I appeared to be having fuel vaparisation problems. For reasons I won't go into I've only been able to use the car this summer, and it does seem to be running rather hotter than before. Not sure if I should be worried by this?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
rustyQV said:
Was there any diagnosis of what was wrong with the original rad ? Just furred up ?
The radiator was furred up, but it turned out not to be casued by that after all. I ended up replacing the ignition system with an electronic one by Aldon Automotive, and that's stopped the problems...so far! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reckon the guage is a bit moody. The stat was replaced with the engine about 2 years ago. It holds the temperature so the needle splits the 9 of the 90 deg C on the guage. I've been in a number of 156's and this appears to be the normal position. I have a spare stat and may replace the current one, but not just yet. If it is running a little cool in this weather I don't have a problem with that! Will see if it continues to behave in cooler weather!

Andy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
The radiator was furred up, but it turned out not to be casued by that after all. I ended up replacing the ignition system with an electronic one by Aldon Automotive, and that's stopped the problems...so far! :)
Do you know which really cured your problems, rad or ignition ? or was it the combination ?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
rustyQV said:
Do you know which really cured your problems, rad or ignition ? or was it the combination ?
Well, I still had the problem after fitting the new radiator, but the problem appears to have gone now that I've fitted the ignition. I think what contributed to the problem was the fact that I can't get leaded 4* petrol, and so begun using an additive. Apparently unleaded petrol burns hotter. So, I think the main problem was with the ignition, but the radiator did need replacing anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts