Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello mates,
yesterday I had an issue.I charged the battery to maximum with high-class battery charger 6/12V 2/8 amp with auto off and protection from heat and overcharging.It took around 30 hours .

The battery was BOSCH SILVER 62ah.
When charged I instaled it carefully-first I put the possitive,then the neggative pole.
A spark shown up,it happened many times,but this time after first sparks,they appear more and more up to the magnet of the back right speaker.The sparks became a plasma ball over the possitive pole.

This happened for around 10-15 seconds,I run for fire extinguisher,came back for 10-15 second with 30kg fireextinguisher from near bike center,but it was not nessasary.

The fire was gone,I think there are not damages except the battery,the possitive pole is damaged and smell .

What could cause this fire ? I instaled the battery at noon,it was 40 degrees at sun there.Also the plastic cover above the battery was not putted this time,I just want to test the battery first,also there wasn`t plastic cover on the pole.

On other car same model I have plastic cover above the battery and on the pole.

I heard similar stories with batteries burned in flames on GTV ,but every time I laughted.I didn`t belived,thought owners are responsible.

So,am I responsible for that ? Or it is connected between not putting these covers and extremely heats these days,40 degrees at sun,I think this made little sparks to fire.

I putted many batteries everytime there are little sparks,but this time they became a fire ?

Also could be the reason in the battery ?

And what shall I do now ?

I hope there won`t be any damages except the battery !
:jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
was the battery connected to the car at this point?

The bodyshell is the cars negative so if you had an arc between there and the positive terminal then you had a short to earth.

I always charge my batteries off and away from the car for this reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
Lead/acid batteries can produce hydrogen gas while being charged, I would imagine that is what caught fire. They have been known to explode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery was off,I didn`t charge it connected to the car.

Remove it,charge it on maximum with charger 12V with 8amp max with automatic 2 6 8 amp charging.

After around 30 hours I tried to instal the battery to car and then it burn in flames,there was missunderstanding in some posts above .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Is there a small vent at the side of the battery, some come with an angled fitting to insert in here and direct gases from the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a small vent at the side of the battery, some come with an angled fitting to insert in here and direct gases from the car.
I didn`t know that ! Thanks ! Now I looked the battery,there are 2 little holes near possitive and neggative pole from both sides . I think this is what you are talking about . Is it ?

Also I have litle ruber pipe near possitive pole,should I put it in this hole ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
I see, so you were connecting the battery to the car not the charger to the battery that was in the car?

Most likely then some battery fumes catching fire as mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,033 Posts
I didn't know that! Thanks! Now I looked the battery,there are 2 little holes near positive and negative pole from both sides. I think this is what you are talking about. Is it ?

Also I have little rubber pipe near positive pole, should I put it in this hole?
That should attach to the battery vent hole.
The other hole should be blocked with a stopper.
So just the one vent, which is piped to the outside (not left to build up a bubble of Hydrogen Gas in the boot.....!!)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top