Discussion Starter #5
I’ll take that as a yes!

Ford mule behind him?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If he dares to mention ‘emotional’ design, I’ll lob a welly at his house. Trite talk.

Quattro... now that’s proper talk :)

·
Registered
33,712 Posts
He’s retired to the south of France so your wellies had better have a range!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He’s retired to the south of France so your wellies had better have a range!
Quattro. Growly engine noises :)

·
Registered
33,712 Posts
I remember back in the early nineties when my wife had a colleague who’s boyfriend had a Quattro and each time I’d meet him he’d be saving up and waiting for another repair. Once it was a new instrument cluster then something expensive for the engine.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember back in the early nineties when my wife had a colleague who’s boyfriend had a Quattro and each time I’d meet him he’d be saving up and waiting for another repair. Once it was a new instrument cluster then something expensive for the engine.
t’was equally true of a GTV6

it’s the Quattro’s birthday.

let’s get out the balloons, not the bollocking ;-)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I had a few as demos when I was an Audi sales manager for a living..loved them.....but they were never fast. Just 200 brake for tree original 10 valve version and 220 for the (far superior) 20v version. The proper short wheel base Kevlar bodied 330 horse version was the proper job! We used to look after Richard Bransons one...you don't realize how tiny they are until you realise it's wheel base is 2 inches LESS than a Rover Metro...much longer overhangs of course.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had a ‘spin’ in a SWB Quattro in the 80s.
it was yeeeeehaaaaaa! fast. The way it belted into and out of corners was like no other fast car I’d ever been in. Back then, it had mind bendingly defying physics.

On the M-way, it went so, so, so fast, that the speedo needle ran out of numbers to point to.

and all the time... that off-beat warble :)

·
Registered
33,712 Posts
I remember going to spectate at the RAC rally and the Quattro having so much grip it just needed to be pointed in the right direction and it would go from corner to corner at an amazing pace.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I remember seeing Matti Alamaki in a rallycross race in a full spec rally car. He, for whatever reason, qualified on about the fourth row....but when the lights changed he darted off the side of the track, onto the grass and gunned it...he was in first before the1st corner! Can't find the video on YouTube...but seen it before. Later in the season he asked for it to be detuned by about 100 horsepower.....to make it more controllable and get the power down easier...they did and it made him faster still!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts