Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So late on Friday evening my cousin came over to test his stock G6 Gti manual against a friend's stock gqv. On a quiet road they did some standing start runs and...

The qv is really hard to launch quick. On the first few runs the Gti had its nose ahead and stayed there. Then on a few runs the qv had its nose ahead and stayed there. Then one perfect launch saw the qv burst ahead, gain in second and the golf couldn't recover leading to the qv winning outright.

What has to be said is that from 160km/h up the qv has the edge in a big way. Also, in gear acceleration in the qv is quicker... seems like the qv does have some good power on top unlike what the journos report.

...but in standing starts it's so easy to launch the golf and so difficult to launch the qv...

·
Registered
861 Posts
A few months ago here in Oudtshoorn I had a run with my 146 2.0 Twin Spark turbo against a stock G6 GTI.
Never the less I was about a nose length in front and he could not overtake me.
This was at 0.5 bar boost and a leaking exhaust manifold.......

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I found the lack of low down grunt in the gqv to be particularly frustrating as compared to the VAG 2.0Ts
I came up the helluva steep winding road from Inanda Dam yesterday as as passenger in a GQV.

I wouldnt say it lacked low down grunt, but perhaps had a bit more lag then I expected?

In my GT 3.2 against the same GQV, iv found the G quick to 100kph, then no match for the busso.
At sea level.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree the VAG 2.0T's are a lil smoother. (I work for the VAG Group ;) )
But keep in mind the GQV is a 1.8, not a 2.0.
Plus I have found that in the 1st 1000km the GQV's are very pap, once they get mileage on they open up very nicely.
I'm yet to drive a GQV with over 1000km on and have to make a plan to do so.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was told that I need at least 10000 to 15000km on my GQV b4 she loosens up. Im now @ 7500, damn that means another year b4 she comes alive. mmmmm...personally I like em tite.lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts