Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I was again off on a tour through the alps. I was a bit worried that there might be more traffic because of the football championship, but as it turned out, it was actually a lot quieter than usual (well I kept away from the bigger cities, obviously).
Because this time I managed to get up early, I got this view above Lake Kochel (still Germany):

A few kilometres further I had sunrise above Lake Walchen (these lake names go down well in english, don't they?:D ), but instead of the lake I decided to take a photo in the other direction. Rosso rubino and sunrise is always a nice combination:

Then through Austria and once again over the Stelvio pass (as you do). A few pictures from a different angle this time.

Then a bit through Switzerland. A view at Maloja Pass (not sure if it shows, but that dam high up in the mountains looked impressive).

Then back in Italy along the west side of Lago di Como. I expected it to be scenic, but it was actually one of my worst driving experiences ever: 2 hours of congestion in one uninterupted line cars over the complete length of the lake. At least I now have a proper experience with stop-and-go traffic and can confidently report: No hesitation issue with my 2.2 JTS.
The next day I visited the Alfa Romeo museum in Arese. I'll make a separate thread for that.
After that back to Switzerland (between Lago Maggiore and Simplon Pass over the emptiest motorway I've ever seen).
On the Simplon Pass the swiss army was out playing and on such boards you are told, in which areas you shouldn't be, because you might get shot:

Because of the wide roads, big parking areas and impressive toilet installations you can tell that the Simplon Pass must be a popular place for tourists, but in may case - again - it was relatively quiet. It also was very beautyful, but somehow I didn't manage do make some more good pictures.

Then in the evening over three more passes. Don't know if it was because the Swiss were on for a football match two hours later, but I felt like the last survior after a nuclear war. Nearly nothing on the road apart from marmots! Brilliant!
Last time I drove the Nufenen Pass I couldn't enjoy it because of busses and a "call of nature", but this time I loved it. The Nufenen is my new favourite for now. You can't take photos of it as good as at Stelvio Pass, but that's because there are not such extreme hairpins (which aren't so much fun to drive anyway, to be honest).

Then I wanted to drive over the old St. Gotthard Pass, but for some unknown reason I was stopped half way be a barrier. So I had to take the new road, from which you can at least make good pictures of the old one. (It's certainly not blocked because of snow, is it?)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next day another favourite: San Bernardino Pass

This day I felt really great. Had a decent breakfast, primary targets of the journey were achieved, car running perfectly, lovely weather, empty roads. What can possibly go wrong? . . . . .

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

And this happened not in a parking maneuver, but while driving over a bridge and looking a bit too long on my new satnav. The impact felt horrible and I was surprised that the wheel was still on. Astonishingly even while driving on I didn't notice anything wrong in the steering or otherwise, but you can guess that my mood wasn't good and I couldn't have full confidence that there wasn't any further damage, so it was straight home from there.

PS: Rim is repaired by now and dealer says everything else is fine, too. So either I'm a wimp or that suspension is a tough *******.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Nice photos Andreas, what a fantastic road trip. Shame about the wheel mate.

·
Registered
Alfa Giulietta MA 170 Exclusive
1,480 Posts
lucky man for going on a trip like that, must have used a fair bit of petrol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Beautiful pictures and car - and a great trip I am sure! Glad to hear the rim is good again and no other damage done :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fantastic pictures, stunning scenery, wonderful roads and a beautiful Alfa. I'm sitting here green with envy on all counts.

Glad to hear no major damage to your wheel :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Simply Jaw Dropping pics:wow: You are soooo lucky:cool:

We wanted to do the Stelvio in May en-route the Mille Miglia but it was closed:cry:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
absolutely stunning pics andreas:cool: :cool: :cool:

driving down to italy next summer (hopefully in a 159ti by that time) - the stelvio pass is the first thing going into my route plan:thumbs:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Great pics :cool:

Driving in the Alps is the best fun you can have...

Where were all the motorbikes hiding on the Stelvio :confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@AlfaGJ: This time there were a lot more bicycles than motorbikes on the Stelvio. Much better to overtake :thumbs:
Albula is great, was there I think 3 times, but 2 times there was a bicycle race or something like that.
The Klausen pass I love also, but mainly the eastern side. The western side is nice, but a bit narrow if there's oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great photos of a fine car and superb scenery. Am heading back to the Val d'Aosta in a few weeks. Wish it was sooner seeing your pictures. Don't worry about the wheel, should be easy enough and fairly cheap to get repaired.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Great pics :cool:

Driving in the Alps is the best fun you can have...
Apart from climbing them and bagging all the 4000 metre peaks.

Great photos by the way. Can't wait, Got a month off to go climbing. Kipple here I come.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts