Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi everybody! I hope you are having a good week so far? For all those of you who requested a special video on the GT - it's taken a while but here it is!! Hope you enjoy and don't forget to subscribe to my channel and like of course!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi folks, here is the update on my PH1 V6 GTV rebuild - slow but steady and now within a few weekends of firing up an engine which has not turned in almost 6 years! Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi everyone, hope you are sorted for Christmas? I tried to persuade Santa to trade in his sleigh for a gorgeous Prodrive Brera S this week! See what happened below:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey everyone - have you ever seen a beautiful 159 drive past and wonder if you should buy one? Me too! So I decided that I should drive one and see if the face matched the "underwear"! See the results in my latest episo

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
As I said over on the 159 forum..... that's not a 1.9 (1910cc) its a 2.0 (1956cc) and (according to the DVLA) its not the 135 brake version its the full fat 170 horse version.....But don't let the facts get in the way of a good video!! Also its not the C630 its the C635.....the C635 is not notchy its the F40 that is notchy. As a 59 plate its probably got an F40 gearbox not the C635...the C635 was only in the last few 2.0s and was never in 1.9 versions. Good video but spoiled by lots of factual errors. Five minutes of research was all it took me to find this info....you could do the same next time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a 2.4ti which has an F40 gear box and I do not find it notchy and it changes up and down with no issue
1.9 have M32 gear box correct ? Same as a lot of GM derived cars with same engine which has the renowned bearings failure.

The video in itself is okish .... the previous video were better informative.
The choice of music i find annoying as well as the pulling faces. Trying too hard and no need to mention the weather several time. You are reviewing a car not the weather.
Sorry for my bluntness but trying to give constructing feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
My F40 in my 2.0 is fine.....until I drive the works vehicle with the M32....then you realise how notchy the F40 is by comparison.....but at least I probably wont fall apart any time soon...so a little notchiness is a price worth paying.

The point I was making is that his video is full of errors.

Its not a 1.9 its a 2.0 (lots to back that up...wrong engine cover/intake, wrong rear badge, later 2.0 cheese wedge wheels....and of course DVLA which states that EK59GYG is a 170 horse 2.0 JTDm)….as does the database on my parts catalogue.. Which makes me also think there is something not right about that one as he says its not feeling very responsive,....one thing you cant level against the 2.0 in 170 brake form....maybe his friends attempt at mapping has caused issues.
Its not got a C630 (whatever than is...he meant C635....which it does not have either!) its almost certainly got an F40 (which explains his comments about it) as the C635 was not fitted that early on.
Its not the 135 HP version he mentioned (they didnt even make a 135 horse version 1.9 it was either 120 hp (8v version) or 150horse (16v version) ….its the 170HP 2.0l version.

The video does nothing but make him look foolish and nothing for the image of the car...derv or not!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just to say that yes the video has plenty of errors (thanks for not mentioning the fact that I used images of a Chiron instead of a Veyron!) but if you watch the part about the gearbox again, you’ll see that I was actually saying the C630 gearbox was fitted to the GTV, 156 and GT, not the 159. Feel free to Google that if you like 😉
Sorry you didnt like the vid - I guess that you, in common with a few other probable 159 owners felt personally attacked, or that that I was “dissing” the car (I wasn’t in fact, I rather liked it)
It was just slow!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
But they are not slow....on a real road they will show a clean pair of heals to a 2.2 in any situation with the exception of a standing start 0 to 60 (exactly the same time)..and who does that.....and only 3mph slower on top end (135 versus 138 mph). The torque in the midrange makes it feel much faster. Even in stock form 170 brake (why did you say 135?) and (more importantly) 360 nm just off idle moves it along well...certainly far better than the heavier and less powerful/torquey 1.9.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There must be a problem with the car then because it wouldn’t get anywhere close to that - it felt breathless & slow. Next drive will be a mapped 237 bhp tbi which should redress the balance

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi Chris, I just wanted to say I enjoyed your current video, thanks for taking the trouble to make it. I hope there isn't a ducking stool at you loal duck pond!

Keep well mate. (y)
Thanks Steve, I’ll try and keep a low profile around here for a while after putting my foot in it (accidentally) 🙂

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I shouldn't worry about it Chris, people make mistakes, and whilst I can't speak for everyone on here, I didn't see it as an attack on the 159 in the slightest, it's not perfect, and is noticeably lacking against some of its German counterparts, apart from the looks of course - as I messaged on your video, my 2.4 is kicking out about 260bhp and doesn't feel all that quick for what it should be, it seems you're very isolated from its actual speed.

It's honestly the least Alfa-like Alfa I've driven, and with you coming from a 156 and GTV, I can't blame you for being a bit underwhelmed - it does make for a good motorway cruiser though!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Which engine? Just out of interest. My 156 had a V6 so very difficult to compare with my 159 2.0JTDm. I would say the 156 had far better steering feel but the handling was not as good on the limit (Im talking about a stock suspension 159 not modded like mine...which goes round corners far better than my softly sprung 156 V6 ever did) as the 159 which lets go in a more progressive and controllable way. The 156 was overall more fun...but the 159 is much more of a "grown up" car. More room too....which was the only reason my 156 went....tiny back seat legroom to get a child seat into without his feet being jammed against the back of my seat!....and a big boot....but with small access! Also...in my opinion or course!....they have not aged as well as other ALFA models and look dated...even compared to the GT which was around at the same time.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I shouldn't worry about it Chris, people make mistakes, and whilst I can't speak for everyone on here, I didn't see it as an attack on the 159 in the slightest, it's not perfect, and is noticeably lacking against some of its German counterparts, apart from the looks of course - as I messaged on your video, my 2.4 is kicking out about 260bhp and doesn't feel all that quick for what it should be, it seems you're very isolated from its actual speed.

It's honestly the least Alfa-like Alfa I've driven, and with you coming from a 156 and GTV, I can't blame you for being a bit underwhelmed - it does make for a good motorway cruiser though!
Hi mate, thanks for your comments. I honestly wasn't criticising the 159 overall, it's a nice car to drive and very good on a longer journey I'm sure. It just didn't feel as "Alfa-like" as I'm used to, as you rightly say.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I for one value your insight to the whole Alfa marque both good and bad. I'm a bit scared to say it but after watching your 159 review I had a go of my kids 159SW and to be honest I kind of agree with your views and prefer my 156 by a long way.
Thanks Steve - be careful though or you might get blacklisted! :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Which engine? Just out of interest. My 156 had a V6 so very difficult to compare with my 159 2.0JTDm. I would say the 156 had far better steering feel but the handling was not as good on the limit (Im talking about a stock suspension 159 not modded like mine...which goes round corners far better than my softly sprung 156 V6 ever did) as the 159 which lets go in a more progressive and controllable way. The 156 was overall more fun...but the 159 is much more of a "grown up" car. More room too....which was the only reason my 156 went....tiny back seat legroom to get a child seat into without his feet being jammed against the back of my seat!....and a big boot....but with small access! Also...in my opinion or course!....they have not aged as well as other ALFA models and look dated...even compared to the GT which was around at the same time.
The 159 is a very modern looking car for sure and hasn't really aged at all in 15 years. I have just released a "hacks" video about the 159 (just a bit of fun really) which also contains an apology, which I thought was needed. I'll be making another 159 vid soon, featuring a drive in a 1750 tbi which I'm looking forward to - hope you'll take a look?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi folks, after the somewhat inaccurate last video about the 159 which rightly annoyed a few folks, I have just released my 159 "Hacks" video, which contains an apology as well as some strange, useful and equally useless features from the depths of the 159 handbook! Hope this one is more enjoyable :)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts