Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good point.

I do like cars that are deemed underdogs/marmite or non-perfect but that with a fettle and use of Forums actually start to perform better, not solely the power of the car but the feel that you are driving and connected with the car and enjoying it's performance; a lot of modern stuff feels much like it could all do it all itself and you are just the legal ballast.

Yes you're right the GTV has foibles but for what it is a fast GT Coupe it drives and performs remarkably well. the power delivery together with the Q2/GTA clutch is lovely and linear and the feels as if it is available almost everywhere, guess the beauty of a big capacity NA engine. I have had the rear fully polybushed with the black series and it has had the full on 4 wheel alignment job/set up with Autolusso. The car handles very well, obviously it cannot be pushed as hard as a the VX but it corners fantastically the Q2 is a revelation. What I am aware of having driven other examples of the V6, Coupe 20vt and VX that many are tired, not maintained as needed and the handling and performance just isn't there.

Dropping £40K I would want the 4C to do it out of the box to be honest (remap, handling kit etc), as spending more on a such a car to do what it should in OE spec would be of huge financial concern, so if it was currently priced to reflect it's foibles rather than it's beauty it would be most tempting.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree that for £40k, the 4C should be more than just a smooth A-road blaster. A GTV is less than a quarter of the price, which makes it a much easier decision to buy one! (or even two)
The 4C is pretty unique though - name me another car which matches it for looks, construction and drama? (Don't say a Lotus, unless you love Toyotas too!)
Sorry but I would still sell a kidney to buy one! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I was running through this same debate in my head a week or two back. I love the look of the 4C and the sound it makes. I have never owned an exotic like this so I was trying to convince myself that I should buy one now, whilst I am still flexible enough to get in and out (I'll be 59 this year).

So I spent an evening reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, particularly ones focusing on the practicality of living with one. And in the end I came to the conclusion that I'm better off with the V6 916 Spider.

Rationale:

I live very close to a very uneven level crossing. I ground the Spider if I'm not careful. I am pretty certain the 4C would ground every time. Or get stuck :paranoid:

I also have to cross a narrow bridge on my way out, with just enough room for two normal cars to pass. Not a problem with the Spider but the 4C is allegedly wider than a Range Rover! The same applies to my garage - I can park next to my wife's car and have room to open the door and get out. The 4C would be an issue.

The 4C is just not practical. My wife and I went out the other day. We chucked the coats, bags etc. on the parcel shelf, enjoyed the roomy cabin, and on the way back had a boot full of purchases. This just isn't possible in the 4C - no interior storage (no glove box!) and tiny boot.

Now I have changed the springs and shocks the Spider is a very comfortable car for a long drive. Admittedly I haven't driven the 4C but reports suggest it is definitely a sporty ride, not a grand tourer.

I love the sound and responsiveness of the V6 :yum::yum:

As others have commented, I wouldn't be happy spending that much money to then have to spend more getting it sorted. Tramlining should not be a problem in a modern sports car.

So I have convinced myself that I should stick with the 916. And, having saved £40k by not buying a 4C, man-maths says I now have this to spend on improving the 916 or buying other toys :rofl:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sounds like a very carefully thought out piece of "man-maths" there Nick! Agree completely on the practicality side - if you bought a 4C, you'd need somewhere to store it safely, somwhere nearby to drive it without damaging it, preferably with smooth fast roads :wink: and you wouldn't want to use it for any touring or long journeys - it's simply a handful at any speed and on any road!

Get your Spider some presents instead! :cheeky:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
P.S. the vid I'm working on currently is all about the 916 Spider and why now is the time to get one, due to them starting to appreciate! I'll post a link when it's live. :thumbup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 4C has been known for years now to have 'Handling Issues' and not be the best pure drivers car , but then again what people look for in a drivers car is different...handling , noise , engine note, driving position etc

I drove one very similar to this one 2 years ago on a sunny day and I didn't stop smiling all day afterwards , insane power delivery and just out and out fun...I didn't get a chance to try push the handling of the car but every review made on them says similar it doesn't give confidence, granted these are expensive cars and not everyone will want to spend that kind of money and not get the handling experience.

For me , the 4C is a work of art a perfectly flawed Alfa and in the spirit of the 147 GTA may require suspension upgrades to take it to that next level (Let's not forget the 8C costs a lot more and also suffers handling issues)...I'd be more than happy to pay 15k in a few years for a 4C and spend 5k upgrading that suspension.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I quite agree with everything you say there, however all the sources I have spoken to in the trade, are saying that prices on the 4C are sticking around the £40k mark and even the higher mileage cars are not expected to drop below £35k. This may be a case of "instant classic" status due to the low numbers produced. I guess we'll see but if prices do drop below £30k, I'll be in the queue to buy one as well!

GTV Spider video will be uploaded this evening - took a bit longer than I expected due to Bank holiday commitments! :wink:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I had a 4C for around 6 months and quite liked it. Mine was Black and looked fantastic with the black leather seats. Biggest problem i found was the turbo lag which if you weren't careful came in mid corner and i had to pretend i was Lewis H. I also had mine on a proper weighbridge and it was 1,045 kg!

I suggest that you need an extended test drive before committing to buying one.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi Gary, yeah I'd agree with that too - turbo spike could be a bit of a handful if you weren't paying attention!
Nice black Spider in your Avatar - looks just like mine, so you'll probably like this video too:

·
Registered
284 Posts
That is an absolute peach, what a fantastic car!

The legal ballast...my 4C comment, I agree totally it is not all about 0-60 times and the top speed, the Bluetooth System fitted etc, it is about the human connection, having to work the car, the handling and feedback that's why my £1500 TF is more fun to drive than the 4C was. I bought a RCZ-R 270 last week and for a new-er car all those ingredients are there for me, the concept, the design, engineering, feedback, no 'modes' or psuedo auto gearboxes, a turbo delivery and usability that puts the 4C to shame. the looks (personal); it is in a similar 4C red though!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That is an absolute peach, what a fantastic car!

The legal ballast...my 4C comment, I agree totally it is not all about 0-60 times and the top speed, the Bluetooth System fitted etc, it is about the human connection, having to work the car, the handling and feedback that's why my £1500 TF is more fun to drive than the 4C was. I bought a RCZ-R 270 last week and for a new-er car all those ingredients are there for me, the concept, the design, engineering, feedback, no 'modes' or psuedo auto gearboxes, a turbo delivery and usability that puts the 4C to shame. the looks (personal); it is in a similar 4C red though!
Yeah - I pinched your phrase, thanks! It was a nice soundbite. :rofl:
I actually like the RCZ too - it's the only Peugeot I DO like though! (Apart from Columbo's convertible)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi folks, here's a lesson in not assuming that just because your Alfa has only covered 100 dry miles since passing it's previous MOT, that it will sail through this time! Add a grumpy MOT tester into the mix and it's a recipe for disaster!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hmmmm not good news especially after all the £££'s spent; I would take the car to another testing station for a covert 'second opinion' as the list of failures and advisories look fairly draconian. The car looks smashing and you are so far in with her you have to see it all through as you say.

I NEED that lovely storage space you have as I have run out and am considering outing my GTV rather than have her stood outside. Off to the Hever Castle Alfa Day tomorrow and the weather looks promising for it too!:rotate:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Update on my 156 - in summary, I took it to a local trusted mechanic friend who went through it with a fine tooth comb and we made a few interesting discoveries....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi folks, this week I finally managed to get my hands on a Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde and had a lot of fun!
Please don’t forget to like and subscribe (if you like it that is!).

21 - 40 of 59 Posts