Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read countless people's threads on here about this, but just seeing if I've missed anything...

My 2009 159 (less than 50k) battery will only last one week of not being used while parked outside my house. To me, this seems nuts! I bought a Bosch S5 December 2014, so it's just over a year old. Is there anything that could be drawing the power? Is there anything I can do to test this? When I've had the RAC out he's said the battery didn't seem to be drawing any unusual power will the engine off.

I've tried switching off the motion sensors when I lock the car, clearly hasn't helped...

Any suggestions greatly received. Hopefully not an alternator problem as the car is about a month out of warranty...:depressed:

I love the car, but it has had a lot of issues in the 2 years I've had it...

R

·
0 Posts
I've read countless people's threads on here about this, but just seeing if I've missed anything...

My 2009 159 (less than 50k) battery will only last one week of not being used while parked outside my house. To me, this seems nuts! I bought a Bosch S5 December 2014, so it's just over a year old. Is there anything that could be drawing the power? Is there anything I can do to test this? When I've had the RAC out he's said the battery didn't seem to be drawing any unusual power will the engine off.

I've tried switching off the motion sensors when I lock the car, clearly hasn't helped...

Any suggestions greatly received. Hopefully not an alternator problem as the car is about a month out of warranty...:depressed:

I love the car, but it has had a lot of issues in the 2 years I've had it...
Hi,

I suppose it depends on what use it gets when you do drive it, you have to do a lot of miles this time of year to fully charge a battery. I would fully charge it before you leave it and see if its ok then.

Rich

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I suppose it depends on what use it gets when you do drive it, you have to do a lot of miles this time of year to fully charge a battery. I would fully charge it before you leave it and see if its ok then.

Rich
Thing is I take the battery out and fully charge it each time...

In fairness probably not doing the mileage in it (about 30 round trip 5 times a week, when driving it). Still I'd expect a crappy
Ford diesel to stay charged longer than a week (same with a similar spec'd Audi/BMW...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry but I'm going with an alternator problem.

I do 5 or 6 trips into town and back each week. Maximum of 5 miles if I also stop at the local Tesco. So, assuming a 5 trip week and 3 runs to Tesco while I'm out, that's 13 starts with less than 25 miles in total. Mine still held a good charge after 10 days away.

You're charging the battery off the car, so what charge you're getting isn't coming from the alternator. If you were getting a decent charge on-board I really can't see it draining that fast with a nearly new battery.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry but I'm going with an alternator problem.

I do 5 or 6 trips into town and back each week. Maximum of 5 miles if I also stop at the local Tesco. So, assuming a 5 trip week and 3 runs to Tesco while I'm out, that's 13 starts with less than 25 miles in total. Mine still held a good charge after 10 days away.

You're charging the battery off the car, so what charge you're getting isn't coming from the alternator. If you were getting a decent charge on-board I really can't see it draining that fast with a nearly new battery.
??
This saddens me greatly...best way to check the alternator (if there is one)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts