Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was mentioned on the ginger one’s show on R2 yesterday and has been knawing at me ever since.

Why is it that people with old dogs attempt to convert their age into the age they would be if they were human using some arbitrary multiplier? I know that eighteen is old for a dog, I don’t need some half-arsed conversion factor that makes no sense at all.

“He’s 12” they say. “If he were human he would be 84”. But he’s not human is he? He’s a ruddy dog. And even if he was human, he would have been born in the same ruddy year so would still only be 12. Why not convert into hamster years instead? They don’t live for very long so the conversion factor is probably 0.5 or something, so they could say “if he was a hamster he would be 6” and we could coo appreciatively at his remarkable health and sprightly gait. Or maybe giant turtles and they could tell us that if he was one he would be 156.

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
My dogs are 1. They'd be 7 if they were people. Probably nearly 8.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dogs are 1. They'd be 7 if they were people. Probably nearly 8.

My tomcat is 3. If he were human he would be a freak because he's got fur, four legs, a tail and no b*lls.

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Am I right in thinking that while there are supposed to be 7 dog years to a human one, there are 9 cat years to a human one?
So my dogs are 9/7 cat years old. :p

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I right in thinking that while there are supposed to be 7 dog years to a human one, there are 9 cat years to a human one?
So my dogs are 9/7 cat years old. :p
That means that my cat will be 27 this year. Next year when I'm 40 he will be 36. The year after I'll be 41 and he'll be 45. Sucks to be him eh?

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,359 Posts
i had to have one of my dogs put to sleep this morning because of cancer. he was 14. he would have been 98 in human years :)

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gaz.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently because dogs reach adulthood very early in life it's 10.5y/1y years for the first 2 years of a dogs life then 4y/1y after that :thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts