Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I finally persuaded my wife to buy an Alfa 159 :lol:

I'm driving around 12000 miles a year. Half of it small trips in the city and the other half long trips on the motorway - every second month or so. So my initial thought was a petrol, having heard a lot of people struggling with egr's and dpf's. But I stumbled upon a great deal on a one year old 2,0 diesel. And I actually heard that this model is supposed to be less prone to clogging of the egr and the dpf. Does anybody have evidence to support or disprove this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, the 2.0JTD has less problems on egr/dpf side. On the other hand I would do egr shutt off in any case.

Regards Tom

[post edited - advertising removed. Please contact Admin if you would like to advertise]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks.

I will talk to the mechanic about shutting the egr off (but leave a little opening, there seems to be an official Alfa part for that).

But removing the DPF is not allowed in Denmark, so that is not an option.

Would shutting the egr off (partly) also reduce the risk of clogging up the DPF?

Regards
Lasse

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
As I understand it, the 2.0 JDtm has a 'close coupled' DPF, which is much nearer to the engine then the one in the 1.9 and 2.4

The closer proximity to the engine means a higher temperature, which keeps it cleaner and reduces the need for regular regens.

There haven't been many reported issues with the 2.0 DPF on this forum, but that may be because there are relatively fewer 2.0 out there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I understand it, the 2.0 JDtm has a 'close coupled' DPF, which is much nearer to the engine then the one in the 1.9 and 2.4

The closer proximity to the engine means a higher temperature, which keeps it cleaner and reduces the need for regular regens.

There haven't been many reported issues with the 2.0 DPF on this forum, but that may be because there are relatively fewer 2.0 out there.
That's excactly my thought - that it might just be because there are fewer around. Are there any reports at all about clogging of the dpf?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That's excactly my thought - that it might just be because there are fewer around. Are there any reports at all about clogging of the dpf?
I don't think so. Search is your friend here. Clearly the design of the 2.0 DPF will encapsulate everything that the designers have learnt about how these things work, so that's got to be a good thing. :thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Yip - whats been said above really. It's still a new engine though so time will tell! I have to say though it doesn't drive as nice as my old 1.9 did in my 147 - it always wants to stall so you have to slip the clutch and add revs to get a smooth getaway from standstill.

That said its much quieter and smoother even if the economy is rather poo but I knew that before I got the car. I'm still fairly happy I got the car though - just such a shame its in black:(.

If its the right spec, price and colour etc. go for it! It's a nice motor!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes if Fuelly is right about you going 36 mpg then it surely isn't impressive. But I see other getting better results.

The price of this car (new) in Denmark is by the way around 56000 pounds - so don't complain about economy :)

A

·
0 Posts
No, well I got mine at a very good price so I can't complain too much either:thumbs:

Yes Fuelly is actually spot on, but during the winter my economy always drops as I do shorter driving in town so with the powerful heater on all the time and running on full choke I have to expect this. My 147 diesel did the same thing, albeit 10mpg better:lol:.

40-42 is about normal in the summer on longer runs with 45 possible purely on motorway runs although most motorway runs I do is with a tonne and a half on the back so that drags the economy down a tad;).

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Had our 2.0Jtdm for about 2 months now (it's 2 years old).
Had the Anti Pollution Filter warning come up twice in that time as my wife uses it mostly for short trips.
However, it always clears after a run of about 15 minutes. Just means every now and then I get to drive it to work instead!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
The Ford 2.0TDCI, which is found in virtually all Ford Kugas sold in the UK, has a close coupled DPF (like that found in the Alfa 2.0JTDM). DPF problems are not much of an issue for the Kugas, although you occassionally hear a grumble. The Kuga has been around for a bit more than 3 years.

We're still not hearing much about DPFs on the 2.0JTDM either, so this all suggests that the ccDPFs are a big improvement over the standard DPFs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts