Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been moaning about my brakes for a long time. I've been thinking about various options discussed on the brake upgrade thread. 330 was the way to go IMO. 156 Brembo upgrade bracket interest thread.

As luck would have it, I have managed to acquire a kit, with brackets, to upgrade my 2003 156 v6 to 330mm Brembos. I am hoping they will be plug and play - I can't see why not.

The Brembos in question are off a Jag XJR circa 04-08. P/N 20.7961.03. I will take the bracket measurements so if anyone is interested they could get some made.

Kit came with 20mm spacers, but i suspect I can get away with less. We'll see. I have the multispoke GT 17 inch wheels...

Does anyone know if these brembos are used on any other vehicle? Porsche do a set which look similar.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got them on today. I promise to remove the Jag decals asap. :cool:

Need some wheel advice. I have 10mm of clearance with a 20mm spacer fitted. The wheel is a 17x7.

If I fitted a set of 17 teles [i have been offered a set], which are 7.5 - basically 13mm wider, in theory, I could bin the spacers... But I would have say 3m of space

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
What are the piston diameters - assume they're the same as 156 brembo calipers?

Would be kind of funny to leave the Jag stickers.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Oh - and you can't make any assumptions about clearance at the back of the wheel relating to width or offset or anything. It's all to do with the design of the wheel casting, so you just have to try them. Obviously you have heaps of clearance currently.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh - and you can't make any assumptions about clearance at the back of the wheel relating to width or offset or anything. It's all to do with the design of the wheel casting, so you just have to try them. Obviously you have heaps of clearance currently.
I am reliably informed that 17x7.5 Teledial will clear a 330 brembo caliper. I've seen a picture and the later gtv V6 had them as an option, I believe. We'll see, I have a set on its way. I'll post some clearance pictures.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post a picture. Interested to see what that looks like

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the piston diameters - assume they're the same as 156 Brembo calipers?

Would be kind of funny to leave the Jag stickers.
Sorry, I didn't measure the pistons in them. It looks like a standard 330 Brembo to be honest.

The Jag stickers will be coming off and they'll be painted red when I get the time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the brembos come with different piston diameters. Autodoc will have rebuild kits so you don't need to measure them if you know what car they came from. Giulietta has 4x40mm pistons

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
the brembos come with different piston diameters. Autodoc will have rebuild kits so you don't need to measure them if you know what car they came from. Giulietta has 4x40mm pistons
I've just checked and they're 4x60mm pistons. Let's hope the master cylinder can cope - I haven't actually driven it yet - its off the road being rebuilt...

*edit - they have 4*40mm pistons - wrong part looked up!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured you would ask so I took a picture. Will try to get it from phone to laptop...

If you download Tapatalk from the app store you can just post them directly from your phone. Simple.

I am on a number of other forums and the app hosts the whole range directly to my phone.

·
Registered
276 Posts
yeah but I'm trying to ween off the phone. If I get tapatalk I'll fall off the wagon again I'm sure. Will see if I can manage something though

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
276 Posts
17x8" et38 but I have 3mm spacers there. It's on my giulietta though. No touching yet and I pull over 1G in corners at the moment.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If the pistons are 60mm dia then I think you're going to have a very long pedal.
I'm actually having problems getting a pedal at all ATM. I need to try and bleed them again. Can you explain why larger pistons would equate to no pedal.

I have read quite a few posts from people who had replaced the calipers with 330 brembos with 40mm pistons and had no issue with the master cylinders. My worry now is that the larger pistons may be too much for the master cylinder to cope with...

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
If the standard 4 piston calipers for 156/147/GT have 40mm dia pistons (I don't know the exact dimension, but it's close to that) and you have fitted calipers with 60mm pistons, then you have more than doubled the piston area of the front brakes (Area = pi R squared). Assuming you haven't changed the rear calipers, you must still be close to doubling the total piston area, so the brake pedal travel is also going to be nearly doubled (excluding any slop or free play in the system, which won't be much).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts