Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello boys and girls

Im going to come out and beg for some wisdom again today

After the oil change a few weeks ago, The oil consumption seems to have stabilised, used about 800ml in 1500 kms.

I am still experiencing the smoking, but its not blue smoke, rather a dark brownish/almost black smoke.

Now i am really not the expert, but the car is using a lot of fuel lately and im starting to lean towards fuel being the main culprit. When the revs drop, and I run it with the clutch it, and then accelerate, it will puff a bit of smoke, I have been keeping an eye on it, and uphil, downhill, it makes no difference.

Another thing, the revs take about 4 seconds to drop from 3500rpm to 900, regardless if the clutch is in or not. After starting in the morning, there seems to be slight backfiring, and whenever the car has been standing and has cooled down, the car does not start very easily, it takes two or three swings to take, then backfires a bit and BOOM, it goes!. The last time i found something like this was when my golf was flooding with a carb base plate fault and somehow allowed excess fuel into the intake while it was not running..

What would fine ladies and gentlemen suggest I do? As I really don't believe that it is valve stem seals or piston rings, as the smoke really does not even smell like oil, we drove behind a conquest yesterday that was blowing blue smoke and you could smell the difference. Another thing to mention is that again, I can smell what appears to be fuel in the oil, but not as bad as before the oil change.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Yeah black smoke is unburnt fuel - and your bad fuel consumption confirm that notion.

It is most probably bad lambda sensor or bad MAF

Also is your car getting warm at least? On water temp gauge? DO you have access to a live scanner - to see what the ECU thinks your car temp is? Low temp => rich fueling

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah black smoke is unburnt fuel - and your bad fuel consumption confirm that notion.

It is most probably bad lambda sensor or bad MAF

Also is your car getting warm at least? On water temp gauge? DO you have access to a live scanner - to see what the ECU thinks your car temp is? Low temp => rich fueling
I believed that there may be/have been an problem with the thermostat, as it takes forever to heat to 90. However, in more peak traffic it seems to get to 90 rather fast. But travelling longer distances, it will get to 70 max, so i think it may still be a bit of a hassle.

Could an injector or 2 not be shooting additional extra fuel? Causing it to "flood" after switching off?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
mate you're going in circles until you get it hooked up to MultiECUScan or similar. all guesswork until you know what the ECU is saying.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I believed that there may be/have been an problem with the thermostat, as it takes forever to heat to 90. However, in more peak traffic it seems to get to 90 rather fast. But travelling longer distances, it will get to 70 max, so i think it may still be a bit of a hassle.
Taking forever to get to 90 - like how long? If it takes longer than about 5 or 7 kilometres (except if it's a really cold day, not in summer) it might indicate a problem.
Staying at 70 at highway speeds is normal.
If it goes down below 70, to about 50 or so, at highway speeds, then I can virtually guarantee you that you have a broken thermostat that sticks in the open position.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/812266-tourismo-or-lusso.html#post12192729

Leaky injector or overfueling due to whatever the reason. This was the reason for your original oil consumption anyway as I mentioned before. As I said before, I wouldn't even drive the car in this state. It's that harmful to the engine. The only way for petrol to reach the sump is when it washes past the rings which is bad and extremely destructive.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Drop some oil from the sump into a pan and smell it. Consistency and smell should give you a clue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentleman, thank you all for the input.

Ian, apperantly the smell in my oil now is just combustion, as the oil stays thick after the change, and hasn't gone all that black.

As for the smoke, I was told it may be the cats that are bust, causing the brown smoke when under pressure.

It is definitely overfuelling though, as there is black smoke at times, gonna attempt, and when i say attempt, i mean attempt to remove the injectors and give them a good cleaning.

It gets to 90 in around 5 kms, and after changing the waterpump and filling with proper coolant, it seems to be behaving better, has not gone below 70.

I am confused!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hooked up to a diagnostics machine at AJ auto, and the only errors were airbag related and one "ECU power supply value too low". It picks up no other faults at all. And the ecu error was most likely caused from a flat battery.

I only have one error on the dash, and that is for a light that is out.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
will a compression test speak to the condition of the rings?
From the ventures with my Junior I learned that a compression test definately tells you a lot. You can do a 'dry' test and 'wet' test. This can tell you alot about the condition of your compression rings and oil rings.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Your car won't show errors without the error light coming on. But please, you cannot perform ultrasonic cleaning of your injectors by yourself without a test bench. Let a workshop do it. Or better still, right now buy a bottle of injector cleaner and add it to your tank once fille up, and another just for good measure. If this doesn;t work, have the injectors removed and "refurbished": New seals, filters and nozzles with cleaned pintles. The spray pattern needs to be optimised and a leak test performed. If the spray pattern cannot be optimised or leaks into the inlet are present then it might also need new pintles and seats.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea there is no such thing as DIY injector servicing / cleaning.

EDIT: Also, just scanning for errors is not what you want to do. You want software that can tell you what the readings are from the sensors in real time. So you want to know if the ECU thinks that the engine temp is 90 degrees or 35 degrees. etc. something like MES will be able to do this. A generic code reader will not. it only reads stored error codes not live values.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just done the injector cleaner Ian.

It is going in later on today for a control arm to be replaced, so I will let Aubrey have another look at her.

She goes like a bullet though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts