Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to start this thread by saying I am proud to be a Saffa, but am obviously disgusted by what happened today.

Just a bit of backround, my family is in the jewellery trade, and my dad in particular is in wholesale. Last year we had a robbery at the head office, most of the guys were later arrested, and the court case is due for this Wednesday. Approx R5mil worth of gold was stolen, and it's a fairly large case, with some very important people implicated with moving the gold.

This morning my dad was driving to work when three unmarked police vehicles pulled out of a vacant lot, forced him off the road with blue lights and sirens blazing, they then pulled semi-automatic weapons on him, kidnapped him and proceeded straight towards our office, with the intent of gaining entry, robbing, and then killing him. They needed him to de-activate the alarms and gain access to the safes.

By the Grace of God my mother was dropping our domestic at hospital, and she took a very unusual route from the hospital to get home. She drove past my dads car and realized there were two random men driving she followed suit, without realizing there were three other cars full of robbers (police) in the convoy. She called me in a panic, and gave the street name and direction of travel. She had already contacted ADT (private security) but needed me to call the cops. I dialled 10111 (our emergency line) while dashing out the house, but the operators were hopeless. Again, by the Lord's good will I nearly crashed into a police car while driving like a mainiac to catch up to my mom, at this stage we had no idea where my dad was (he was tied up on the back seat). My mom phoned and said that they had pulled into the parking lot at the office, and that the assailants were in the secure parking. ADT arrived, and a shoot out ensued with the robbers fleeing. A cop car pulled in, and pulled up next to the robbers (he recognised them as police, and had no idea they were the assailants). They then opened fire on him and my mom, thankfully not hitting anyone despite firing at my mom at near point blank range.

My dad was found tied up in the parking lot, beaten and shaken but ok.
It's fairly obvious that they were acting under instruction to take him out before the court case, and it's unfothomable that police officers are involved in this, even shooting at their compatriots.

My thanks to the ADT guards, and the straight cops for a very prompt response and for placing their own lives in danger to protect my family. To my mom for keeping such a cool head, and to the Lord for miraculous hand in this event.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Damn thats hectic! Did they catch the cops who held him up or just let it slide cos they buddies?

Makes me sick hearing stuff like this, our cops are really thugs!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Jassssssssssssas! 1st of all its great to hear a fellow Alfisti thanking and recognising God's hand in matters like this!!! Your fam will always be safe NO MATTER what as its clear where you put your trust and faith:thumbs:

Secondly..what is an unmarked police car? A police car is already marked. It is widely known that cops in SA is not to be trusted and this again proves, its very difficult to NOT cut them all from the same cloth but unfortunately if all look like sheep how are you supposed to know who the wolves are?

This gives the Police a BAD name...as some of their own, or posing to be their own are involved in such crap. I hope they catch them all and that your family gets protection until after the court case as its clear they KNEW exactly what route your dad drives and what his car looks like and what time he drives where when!!!...

Good luck man.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That just makes me so sick. I'm glad you dad is ok and not seriously injured, but damn, this must be so traumatic, for your dad, your mom, and you!
Aren't you worried that this might happen again, will/can your dad get some protection, i mean they went to extreme lengths to hamper the case, I would fear for my life, even in my own home.
I pray this will be sorted out soon and you family can be safe again. No-one deserves to go through this kind of thing. Thanks for sharing. Strength to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Dammit. Thank the lord they're ok.As I read this I thought ''You must sell this as a Hollywood Screenplay'' as bad as this is you just cant help to wonder what could of happened.
Hope everything goes to plan in court tomorrow.

·
Registered
726 Posts
There was an article on the one of the news websites about this incident. My word that is insane! Very glad to hear no-one was hurt and it does sicken me that their are corrupt policeman who inflict such harm and pain on the people they are supposed to protect. Thankfully not all police are corrupt and there are still a large portion who fight everyday for our safety.

Goodluck with the court case tomorrrow and I hope they all get what they deserve.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thats shocking Zeff, really sorry to hear about this.

Really hope it works out in the end. Lets hope that good shall prevail and the bad guys get what they deserve.

Sorry dude

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your family's traumatic experience. I am very happy that nobody was seriously hurt or worse. I know it is very difficult not to view our police force in a bad light when all we hear about is how corrupt they are but please believe not all of them are like this.

Please keep us updated.

J

·
0 Posts
This is unbelievable! What is this country coming to. Why do we even have a Police farce?
Glad your family is fine.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had to go to court yesterday for the robbery we had last year. Looks like it was the same guys that hijacked my dad on Monday that are out on bail for the previous robbery. My dad will be doing a photo line up today to confirm...

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Get the barstewards ! :rant:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:mad:
And then they will probably give them bail so that they can do more damage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts