Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent all day trying to change the lower wishbone on the spider.

Started well, took the passenger side off in less than an hour. Then the new wishbone went in. Got the front bolts in finger tight..then took another 4 hours struggling to get the back bolts in..and failed.

Despite taking the wishbone out several times - comparing bolt positions with the old part - checking the bolts screwed in correctly etc. Just could not get it to fit.

In the end I gave up and refitted the old wishbone. So 6 hours and all I manged to do was replace the droplink.

Don't you just love Alfa's

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same trouble, I ended up using some studding in the back ones and using a nut to pull it into place. Once it’s in place you can swap the studding for the proper bolts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,

That's the route I'll try. Bought both lower arms and front and rear drop links - seemed like a good idea at the time for a quick Saturday job!! Never mind, there's always next weekend.

Regards

Jon

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
I had the same problem on my Fiat.

You need to use a Clamp to clamp the rear part of the mounting flush with the subframe, otherwise you will either not get the bolts in or you will crossthread them.

A large G clamp should do the trick.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Simon,

Unfortunately there's not the space to fit the clamp and the lower arm in - I tried G-clamps, welding clamps etc. The nearest I could get was wedging a large screwdriver above the mount, but just could not get enough leaverage and fit the bolt at the same time....

You know, fitting now bottom arms on my Porsche was soooo much easier!

Jon

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
In that case I would unbolt and remove the strut so that you can get the arm in there at the correct angle.

This isn't as difficult as it sounds. There are 3 small bolts at the top, and 2 bolts that hold the strut to the hub. Remove the strut and tie up the disc and caliper (or get someone to hold it). You can also then fit the hub to the lower ball joint before refitting the strut. If you refit the strut first it will be a nightmare of a job getting the ball joint to line up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Simon,

Next Saturday I plan to change both arms, drop links and rear drop links followed by a quick suspension alignment...hopefully better prepared than this week!

regards

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts