Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd had my 155 Veloce sometime before I read in the manual, "To achieve the full 155 bhp, 98 RON unleaded must be used". Pity the dealership didn't mention this when I bought the car.
So I started using Shell V Power. It makes a massive difference to not only take off speed, but smoothness and quietness when ticking over.
Did a 500 mile round trip last weekend so i did a bit of an experiment, here are the results....... Wirral to Bexley on Sainsbury super 97 RON. Av speed 66 mpg 32.5
Bexley to Wirral on V Power Av speed 68 mpg 39.5
Although the average speeds are not mega I did use the M6 toll both ways so the MiTo was put to the test for at least 22 miles each way, And I booted it inbetween the many road works ( 50 mph )

Has any one used any other premium gas, suh as BP ultimate etc ? if so any good ?
Lesson learned.... even with petrol, ya gets what ya pays for !!

·
Registered
375 Posts
i use the expensive stuff from my local petrol station and i have done since my 155 veloce was new which was 170 miles ago, so i have not noticed any gains etc from normal petrol. I am also getting a low 20 mpg at the moment but i only drive to work and back at rush hour bumper to bumper stuff so thats to be expected. I hope after 1k miles etc it will start to give better mpg figures and apparantly be abit faster but thats also strange becuase in normal its quick but in d mode its savage:cool:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I normally put in the high octane option when i can, dunno how much difference it actually makes though. I'm sure the price vs. efficiency for both levels of octane is very similar, because if high octane fuel was hugely more economical than the other, then everyone would buy that one..

·
Registered
848 Posts
I used RON95 for a while and the engine felt like it was being strangled. Switched to RON97 super, good stuff for just a little bit more, that little turbo came alive. No RON98 stuff here though :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do not care about the MPG....as quite simply the more fuel efficient cars become the more of an excuse this Labour government will have to add extra taxation on fuel!!!

However I enjoy using Shell 99Ron and Tesco 99Ron fuel as it gives the care more ommphhh which tempts me to become a sinner to break speed limits!!! :cool:

·
Registered
30,036 Posts
I normally put in the high octane option when i can, dunno how much difference it actually makes though. I'm sure the price vs. efficiency for both levels of octane is very similar, because if high octane fuel was hugely more economical than the other, then everyone would buy that one..
Won't make any difference to your 120bhp version.
It is only the 150bhp and 155bhp versions that need 98RON.

·
Registered
375 Posts
as i said Ive used the more expensive stuff from when i got my car new, i dont know what its called but its probally doing its job as my 155 mito feels really quick. There was a fifth gear special about this i think and in high powered or turbo cars etc the better petrol gave better gains:cool:

·
Registered
30,036 Posts
There was a fifth gear special about this i think and in high powered or turbo cars etc the better petrol gave better gains:cool:
Still only makes a difference if the car was mapped for it.

If the manual just says "Use minimum 95RON", then using 98 won't give you any more power.

So with the Mito, it is only the 150 & 155hp versions that can make use of 98RON. The others will still run on it, but it won't make any difference in those unless they are remapped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Premium burns quicker and smoother, giving you the punch at the start and economy high end. Pricey enough for only a slighly better grade. Most uk supermarket fuel is sourced from BP and is much of a muchness.

N

·
0 Posts
I use Total Excellium SP98.

Mostly because those pumps are used less than DERV or SP95 ones
so you don't have to wait around so much. :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,036 Posts
Premium burns quicker and smoother, giving you the punch at the start and economy high end.
Nope.
Higher Octane burns SLOWER, giving a longer burn, meaning the ignition can be advanced which in turn means more power.
The issue is that the ECU won't advance the ignition past it's starting point, it will only retard it from that point to prevent pre-ignition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts